Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nioxin?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nioxin?
    Posted: February 27 2007 at 12:52am
hey everyone,i was roaming another hair forum (I know,how dare I?) and a hairdresser was reccomending a product called Nioxin (which is for thinning hair).She was saying it's great for anyone who wants long hair cuz it stimulates the blood flow to the scalp which helps hair grow faster.
Seems to mostly be made up of stuff like mint,biotin and niacin.
I know nothing makes hair grow faster,but this is supposed to support it so it can.
has anyone here used it? If you have,did you like the results,notice hair growing/feeling thicker?
I appreciate any feedback...cuz I want to get some but am kinda scared to try it.

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 9:49am
I haven't tried it, but you got me curious, here is a site with some reviews:
http://www.hairsite.com/topical/t-nioxin.htm

If its the mint in it that does some good, then I'm happy because I have a peppermint shampoo and conditioner already!  It seems to have some cones in some of it, I don't know exactly which product you were referring to.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 4:57pm
I was intrested in system number 4 (chemically treated hair) that is a shampoo,moisterizer and scalp treatment.

I have to ask...what are "cones" I keep seeing people mention those?
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 11:16pm
Cones are silicones.Most conditoners have them.Some people swear by them,while others cringe at the idea of using them.they leave a coating on your hair.Which in turn leaves your hair easier to manage and smoother.The problem is that they build up.Some quicker than others.And if they build up too much they break off taking part of your strands with it.But they can also be clarified off as well.I dont use them myself because the clarifying does just as much damage to my hair.But my DH's hair would be a a huge headache without them.SmileHTH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2007 at 3:16am
Thanks longhairdreams! Big%20smile That makes alot of sense now.

Well,I bought some nioxin tonight for 40 dollars (shampoo,moisterizer and scalp treatment) So,I will let everyone know what I think of it as soon as I try it. It smells VERY minty and kinda strong. It says on the package it can cause temporary redness where it is applied (that's why I'm scared,hope it isnt irratating)  However,it says 9 out 10 people exprience some kind of thickening effect.
I'm mostly curious to know if actually helps with hair health and growth at all. It says it leaves your scalp in "optimum conditions to grow hair"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2007 at 4:32pm
I used it today. It smells ok,very minty. The scalp spray kinda smells....medciney,like you can smell the vitamins in it. Also,it does tingle,and did make my skin slightly red for about 10 minutes.

It really made my hair seem fuller though. I wasnt expecting much cuz body building shampoos never do squat really IMO. This made a HUGE difference in thickness. It also gave me lift (which is hard when i usually have a flat-to-your-head-look)
I posted this in the hairloss section,cuz although it doesnt claim to regrow hair like Rogaine,it certainly makes the hair you already have seem like alot more.
It is supposed to stimulate the hair you already have and HELP with growth though.Guess I'll have to wait and see if that's true!
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2007 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Susan W Susan W wrote:

If its the mint in it that does some good, then I'm happy because I have a peppermint shampoo and conditioner already!

Peppermint, nettles, and capsicum are all used for scalp stimulation.  Topical application increases the blood flow on the skin's surface, which in turn stimulates healthy skin and hair growth.  Scalp massages work the same way.

Edited by hairbraider - February 28 2007 at 5:31pm
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
lola32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 9:59pm
well I used it and I noticed my hair was a lot thicker but I don't think it helped my hair grow. I disliked using the scalp treatment because it made my roots look greasy :(. It wasnt a spray it was a treatment I had to rub on my scalp. My grandma bought it for me because my hair was shedding alot and she was worried .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 11:40pm
Thanks for sharing your exprience,LOLA32. The scalp treatment I have is a spray. I dont feel that it makes my hair greasy,but it does turn my skin red for a few minutes.
I really like how much thicker looking it makes my hair,but it is too soon to determine if it has helped it grow. However,I have also added more protein to my diet along with B vitamins,biotin,and vitamin C,so that may also help.

How long did you use it for lola?
lola32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 12:11am
I used it alittle over two months. Mine came with a foam treatment I think its sunscreen for my scalp. I loved that it made my hair thick because my hair is thin and flat. well i hope the treatment works for you . let me know how it works for you . I was using the same system. I have to admit I didnt use the scalp treatment everyday maybe thats why i didnt notice any growth.ttyl :)
xBritxBratx93x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xBritxBratx93x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 4:11pm
I have been using some of my moms and it works wonders on my hair!

One weid thing did happen to me though a couple days ago when I used it. You know how it has that really strong minty smell, well I woke up and decided to take a shower and I hadent ate yet and when I used it I started to gag and eventually barfed...lol TMI. Usually I LOVE the smell of it but on a empty stomach....I WARN YOU!

Edited by xBritxBratx93x - March 18 2007 at 4:12pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 3:33am
haha,that's pretty funny Britxbratx.I have had that happen to me before,just not with Nioxin....
I do love the product though,I think I'm hooked!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xBritxBratx93x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 5:21pm
Oh I love it too, but from now on I make sure I am full before I use it lol.

lola32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2007 at 1:14am

oh my gosh. lol. Now, I know not to use it on an empty tummy. I cant stand the smell of the HF37 vitamins they smell soo badly . I always get the urge to vomit. Sorry TMI, right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xBritxBratx93x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2007 at 4:24pm
lol what do they smell like?

I had a story told to me on another hair site (longhaircommunity) that when she used it, her face began to burn and turn blood red, but it only lated 30 min anyway thats still scary.

Now I am a little more skeptical to buy them, than I was before.
lola32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2007 at 7:06pm

rotten eggs and just horrible. I try not to breathe. oh yea it says that can happen on the bottle i think (your face turns red). I'm not sure. I thought I read that somewhere. I think I'm going to try hairtopia. I'm going to measure my hair by this friday and If see no difference then im going to change. Ill let you know.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xBritxBratx93x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2007 at 9:52pm
thank you so much!

I don't want to end up buying it, then it not work for me. I hope it works for you though, if not hairtopia is the way to go.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2007 at 4:26am
Lola32,your hair color is just beautiful!
lola32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 1:18pm
thank you :) I haven't dyed it in over a year :S how is nioxin ? Do you see any hair growth ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 5:23pm
That red is natural? Man you are lucky to have such a pretty color.

Nioxin is good.Still not as long as I'd like,but it's getting there.It's certainly alot longer then when I first had it cut!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic