Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is it okay if I....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lola32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it okay if I....
    Posted: March 06 2007 at 1:10am

Hi everyone Big%20smile I'm new to the forum . I was just wondering if it was okay if i washed my hair almost everyday with a shampoo that has these Ingredients: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (Shampoo Base) Ground Almond, Almond Oil, Water, Almond Fragrance, Natural Color. It seems like its natural. I try not to wash my hair everyday but if I dont it gets all greasy and nasty. I straighten my hair max. 3 times a week and my bangs almost everydayConfused is that bad ? I'm trying to let my hair grow up to my waist at least . I'll take any tips that anyone has . Everyone has beautiful hair. Thank you in advanceTongue

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 7:43am
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is one of the more harsh types of detergent, but it should not hurt your hair that much since you likely condition afterward.  If you want it to be less drying, you can use it diluted.  Sodium laureth sulfate is less harsh, (but I still dilute that too). 

Using heat that much is going to damage your hair over time, and it gets a little harder to keep even natural un-dyed and un-heat treated hair in good form even after bsl just because hair this long is a couple of years old and all the washing takes a toll on it (though of course it also depends on your hair type...coarse will get damaged less easy, fine will get damaged more easily).  I am going to waist length too and I'm getting a lot more splits now that my length is this many years old, even though I don't do those damaging things to it.  You may want to consider not straightening if you can.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
lola32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 12:14pm
thank you so much Smile i appreciate your advice.
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 1:04pm
I can't use shampoo with SLS because my hair sheds an enormous amount. I use Giovanni 50:50 and dilute it.
lola32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 7:57pm
is there a thread that gives directions on how to dilute shampoo ? when you dilute does it clean your hair the same way ? I'm sorry I don't know anything Confused
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 6:44am
You can use an empty small bottle, put some water in, then put an equal amount of shampoo in (this makes it 50/50 or half and half), then roll it slowly to mix it.  Make only what you'll need at a time because you don't want it sitting around diluted.  (I doubt soapy water would grow much in it, but you never know so best to just not let it sit around).  

It will still make suds and clean your hair, and you'll get the benefits of a less dried out scalp, which also is less greasy because the scalp doesn't try to overcompensate for the dryness caused by over concentrated shampoo (which most are).  After you get used to it, you may find you can get away with using only 25% or even 10% shampoo to water...whatever works best for you. 

I use only diluted shampoo now, my scalp has adjusted, and due to it being less greasy I can even go one extra day without washing now, which I could never get my scalp to adjust to before.  Another benefit is you can buy any ol' cheap shampoo because diluted it won't ever be very harsh.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
lola32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 10:57am
thank you Smile
xBritxBratx93x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xBritxBratx93x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 11:46am
Hey thnx I think I am going to try that too
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 12:50pm
Welcome Lola!  Smile  I dilute my shampoo, probably 10:1 (getting about 6-10 ounces of water, about 1/2 oz to 1 oz of shampoo).  With this, I lather-rinse-repeat.  The first lathering (using most of the diluted mix) doesn't get very sudsy, but it does seem to loosen the grunge on the scalp.  The remainder of the mix lathers well and gets it all clean, so when it dries there's no greasiness, but it isn't so dried-out that the hairs are crispy -- just nice and smooth.

Since my tap water is hard, I follow the conditioner rinse-out with diluted vinegar rinse (1-2 tbsp in 16 oz of purified water).

lola32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 3:10pm
Hey Dave!Smile you have beautiful hair. Thank you I will try using your method the next time i wash my hair.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 6:08pm
Thank you Lola! I hope the wash method works for you.  It might take a bit of practice to get the best results.
mia23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mia23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2007 at 2:41am
what kind of shampoo are u using lola
lola32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2007 at 12:47pm
lola32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2007 at 12:51pm
i love it because it leaves my hair shiny and smooth.
gypsydoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsydoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 8:44pm
So what I am reading is my hair is so greasy because my scalp is over compensating for the harsh shampoo????
Who would have figured I'm doing it backwards!  That must be why my daughter can go more than a week with out the greasies!!!
Jen, (1a/f/ii)
lola32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 9:15pm
i didn't know that either .  My hair gets greasier faster now that I use HF37.  HF37 leaves my hair silky and smooth at first but the next day it looks real greasy.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 7:24am
That is right.  Dave's dilution solution has allowed me to go 3 days without washing instead of getting greasy on the second day.  And the third day doesn't really look that bad either.  My scalp never did adjust even after 2 months when I tried to go 3 days when I used it concentrated.

lola32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2007 at 4:08pm
I finally bought a small bottle and will try Dave's advice .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic