Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help, need advice!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help, need advice!
    Posted: May 17 2007 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Dee8 Dee8 wrote:

What do you mean by this? to trim split end do you not have to trim all the hair near the ends?

Correct.

A trim makes all of your hair (or, your "hairline") shorter.  Individually trimming split ends won't make your hair look any shorter.

Edited by DaveDecker - May 17 2007 at 10:12pm
Dee8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dee8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 7:26am
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

Trimming split ends doesn't have any appreciable affect on the length.  Trimming all of the hair strands near the ends does.

What do you mean by this? to trim split end do you not have to trim all the hair near the ends?
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 6:08pm
Split ends are already damaged.  Trimming them off reduces the amount of damaged ends.  If you don't trim them off, they can split more badly, and can increase tangling.  Trimming split ends doesn't have any appreciable affect on the length.  Trimming all of the hair strands near the ends does.

All regrowth starts from nothing, so one's head of hair will contain strands at all stages of its "life" cycle.  Unless you're doing something to cause breakage of the shorter strands, they're likely just new growth.

Dee8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dee8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 7:20am
ahhh thanks Dave, am I doing any unrepairable damage to my hair if i dont dont trim the split ends? and how "would" it look when it is trimmed do you think?

and im wondering about the the strays, so they are just shorter newer hairs. How come this doesnt happen to many other people? most I see are flat, but doesn't everybody grow newer hairs that are shorter?  thanksSmile
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 8:40pm
Welcome!  The strays you see are new growth (replacing formerly fallen-out strands) and aren't yet long enough to be "weighed-down."  It's possible that they could be under-moisturized, or simply responding to increased humidity.  You could calm them by using a drop or two of oil, spread around on your palms, and smooth over the top surface of your hair.

Examine the ends of your hair strands.  If you see split ends, you can trim them off yourself, individually, with a sharp pair of scissors.  Whether your hair will look better if it is trimmed is a matter of personal choice, that only you can answer for yourself.

Dee8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dee8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 1:01pm
Hey, Im a guy with very long hair. I have grown my hair for about 4 years so its pretty far down my back. Im wondering about the health of my hair and a couple other things and I need some advice. First problem is that my hair has like stray hairs, a ton of little curly ones fray out around the top of my head, is this just my hair or is it because my hair is in bad condition? mybe split ends or something? If I cut it for a couple years is that bad? should I get it trimmed? Will it look better or no? Anyways, Im jus tlookign for some general info to get rid of the stray ones and find out why its like that and to get my hair healthier. Thanks! Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic