Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the pH of hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
frogstomp View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogstomp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the pH of hair
    Posted: August 06 2002 at 4:23am
can someone please tell me what the pH of hair is...i really need to know it 4 and assignment.
bambii*s View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambii*s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2002 at 2:20am
Hi! The ph of hair is neutal. on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being very acidic and 10 being alkaline) hair is about a 4. Water is also supposed to be about 4, and if you`ve ever noticed, salon shampoos will tell you what the ph is on the bottle, somewhere between 3 to 4.5. Hope this helps.
IKanD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IKanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2002 at 4:13pm
Actually, neutral would be 7, since the pH scale goes from 1 to 14. :)
Neffette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neffette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2002 at 11:32am
pH stands for potential hydrogen and ikand is right the scale is 1 to 14. 1being very acidic and 14very alkaline. Wet hair is slightly acidic 4.5 to5.5 and neutral when dry 7
Neffette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neffette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2002 at 11:34am
Sorry i forgot: above info provided by Milady`s standard book of cosmotology(chemistry of hair chapter)
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2002 at 11:51pm
Small correction from a chemical engineer :

The pH scale isn`t bounded in theory, and well, saying it`s from 1 to 14 is a double-flawed statement (it gave a good idea though)

If there were an equal concentration of hydronium ( H3O, simplified to just H+ ) in an acid as there were of hydroxyde ( OH- ) in a base of a pH of 14, the pH of the acid would be zero.

Nitric acid (at 1 mol/L) would be at a pH of zero.

So a better statement would be from 0 to 14, but that`s still flawed since there in nothing preventing a 14 mol/L substance, thus a pH near -1.3 .

So to make my post relevant with hair, in chemistry labs, keep them tied back and secure. I know to prevent myself since I`ve seen someone get an acid burn screwing up the hair.

Same for burners. No explanation needed.
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
Jo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2003 at 10:20am
Neutral is 7 because fom 1-6 is acidic and from 8-14 is basic. Why do you need to know the pH of hair? Think about it hair is dead? So does the pH really matter? lol. I dont mean to come off as rude! lol let me know if ya find out how to get the pH of your hair....
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2003 at 12:16pm
The pH of hair isn't as important so much as the pH of the products you put on it. A highly alkaline substance (such as a chemical relaxer or permanent dye) works by opening the cuticle to allow change agents inside, thus altering the texture/color permanently. Unfortunately this is a damaging process and the effects cannot be reversed.

The fact that hair is dead only underscores this point. IF hair could regenerate itself then high pH products would only have a temporary damaging effect. But since the damage is permanent, you should take extra care to use neutral or slightly acidic products.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic