Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone for medium/long?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone for medium/long?
    Posted: June 10 2003 at 10:14am
It seems (perhaps I'm mistaken) that many here are for growing their hair simply as long as nature will allow!

I'm certainly supportive of that decision, but even if my hair could grow below my waist (the longest it's ever been), that's not my personal style.

My ideal length is just at bra length or slightly below -- perhaps half-way between bra and waist.

Is there anyone else here who wishes to keep his (or her) hair at a certain "long length" without growing it as long as you can?

I'm just curious.
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 10:25am
Well, if I could actually get my hair to grow that long I would! I want mine to be about bra strap.
*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 11:30am
yes. I'm hoping to keep my hair at bra strap length -a few more inches (months) to go!

I'm actually not sure how I'd look with waist-length hair.
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 11:50am
If I could have hair taller than most asians (let's say knee cap for me or a bit more (1.4m)) I would never cut it everr. However, I'd have to often have it in a braid so when I go for a crap that the undesirable doesn't happen. The color wouldn't be noticeable, but the smell sure would be.

And maybe there are ways to conceal length and make it appear like volume. Maybe braiding braids can do something similar if done solidly and tight enough. But I won't know or be able to try until much later.
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
3katz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3katz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 1:43pm
Thanks for that image, Kintaro! Ew-w-w-w! I'll keep it mind when I get to that point all the same! I'm here for practical advice, after all!
3katz
Tódia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tódia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 2:57pm
i`d love to have waist-long hair. mine is a little below bra-lenght now. i just want to grow it little more so i can keep at waist-lenght. i have noticed, that my long, curly hair is getting thinner and thinner all the time! is it normal? i eat heathy. maybe it`s just that you notice the normal hair-loss better when your hair is long. that`s a reason why i don`t want to have very long hair. it just get`s so thin. if my hair get`s even more thinner, i won`t let it grow anymore. i had very thick hair a couple of years ago and my hair is curly, so it still looks quite thick and healthy. lol
Annette
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 8:23pm
Tódia, welcome to the board!

It is normal for your hair to gradually lose volume, the longer it gets. How quickly it thins depends on lots of factors, including (but not limited to) haircare techniques, diet (including vitamin/mineral/herb supplementation), and other "lifestyle" issues (exercise and stress).

Kintaro, you are a nut. We whose hair extends beyond our behinds have learned many ways to keep hair "out of the way."

PapillonPurple, you'll never know how you'll look unless you try. (that should be construed as gentle persuasion). You can always trim back if you don't like it longer.

AmberJune, what's your rate of hair growth?

Jennifer, I guess the goals among the good folks here vary from mid-back to as-long-as-possible. Despite what some might think, the "long as possible" is not my goal.
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 11:39pm
Dave : Can'T say I'm not. It's a fact of life though. And if you'Re growing out for the first time, it's best to know this before it actually happens, so you can prevent it.

P.S. I'm a crazy guy. I can't deny that.
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
LetGoMommyHair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetGoMommyHair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 2:44am
Kintaro,

As a girl, my hair was down long enough to get caught when I stood up after going to the bathroom. Ya simply pull your hair around your shoulder before sitting down :-)

Zulu knots produce a curl like Daryl Hannah in the movie Splash on my medium/wavy hair. Zulu knots are where you section off damp hair in ~5 parts. Each section gets twisted until it twists on itself - looks like a knot sitting on the scalp - then secure and allow to dry. Here is the tricky part, once dry, use fingers to comb out....this is a slow process but worth it!

Braids wil also add volume - # of strands in the braid will be one factor in how the wave/curl looks.

LetGo...sweetie...let go of mommy's hair...
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 11:03am
Thanks Dave!
Stephy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 1:27pm
I am trying to grow my hair long (right now I have a short bob), so anything longer would just be lovely. However, what I woud LOVE is my hair to come down to my bra strap. I think that very long hair is beautiful, and whatever people are comfortable and happy with is what they should wear. Maybe one day, when I too get to this lenght I will post my picture on this forum.
I'm tired of all this nonsense about
beauty being only skindeep. That's
deep enough. What do you want, an
adorable pancreas? Jean Kerr
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 4:55pm
I used to grow and grow and grow my hair as long as it would grow, trimming only about once every year or two. But over the last year or so, after getting a couple of major trims to rid it of damage, I'm finding I actually like my hair this length:

It's a few inches longer in the back than you can see in this picture, hitting about the top of my bra strap.

Overall, I like it because it feels healthier and seems to have more body and wave. I have a lot of hair, and when it's very long the waves are pulled straight, but it's still plenty frizzy.

So now I'm trimming about two inches every three or four months to keep it exactly at this length. There have been times that I've been tempted to go shorter, but I know my boyfriend really likes it on the long side, and I suppose I do too.

We've been watching the complete "Twin Peaks" on video non-stop lately, and I LOVE both Lara Flynn Boyle and Sherilynn Fenn's hairstyles. They both have similar hair to mine, and I am tempted to get those shorter styles every time I see them. I have to fight it! When I tell my boyfriend, he just smiles and mutters something.

Elissa
[/url]

tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 5:22pm
You look lovely Elissa!
Your hair length is perfect for you!!!!
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 5:51pm
I'll second that.

Elissa - you are a beautiful woman.

Gorgeous hair, too!!
Uzi

Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 7:41pm
Thank you. You guys are very sweet.

[/url]

laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 7:41pm
I think it would be interesting to grow my hair as long as it will grow,  allthough I think I will be happy at waist lenghth which is pretty long for me because I am quite tall.  But you never know I might go longer than that because I think growing hair is addictive and you might always want it longer.  Does anyone agree?

enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 3:19pm

I always think of "if it was a bit longer I could do this...".  I basically really want to be Princess Leia (you'd think I'd have grown out of that by now), so my goal is to be able to plait my hair and wind it around my head.

I've never had short hair - it's been long for my whole life.  Seriouslym since I was five it's not been above my waist.  It usually plays between waist and classic.

If your hair desn't suit you when it gets longer...don't wear it longer than you want to.  Simple! 

http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 4:22pm

my hair is about an inch or so past bra-strap length right now.  i want it to grow waist length, and after that i'll probably just keep it that way.  i don't know how much i'd like hair that went down to my knees, even though it looks great on some people.  so jennifer, you and i are kind of in the same boat... just with different ideal lengths.

GoldieLocks92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 10:30pm
I'm shooting for waist length which is the longest I have had it (but not since I was about 5). I never kept mine at a certain length; I always cut my hair when it got long and wanted to grow it back out right away so I could get it cut again.

~A
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 11:54am
Originally posted by The Last Starfighter The Last Starfighter wrote:

I think it would be interesting to grow my hair as long as it will grow,  allthough I think I will be happy at waist lenghth which is pretty long for me because I am quite tall.  But you never know I might go longer than that because I think growing hair is addictive and you might always want it longer.  Does anyone agree?

Yes.  It can and does happen.  But that's okay.

When I started growing my hair 13 years ago, I didn't have a specific goal in mind.  As it got to be about waist-length, I set a goal which was just past classic length.  I've not amended my goal, but I have allowed my hair to grow past it.  At this point I'm curious to discover its "terminal" length.  I'm probably almost there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic