Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why did you start wearing LF's?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PrincessLF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessLF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why did you start wearing LF's?
    Posted: March 18 2008 at 9:27am
Ladies, I'm curious why most of you wear full lace wigs.  I know some women started wearing them due to hair loss via cancer or alopecia.  But for those of you who have a full head of hair, what made you start wearing them, how did you hear about them?  I'm not bashing anyone for their choices, so please don't get me wrong.  I'm just really curious. 

I'll start.  I experienced hairloss about two years ago for reasons I really don't want to go into right now and immediately started wearing BSS wigs.  My twin sister also experienced hairloss as well.  She's the one that "discovered" lace wigs for herself, then shared the information with me.  This took place sometime June 2007.  My first two wigs were lace front wigs purchased from Mylacefrontwig.com for $600.00 each.  (OUCH)  Not realizing there was a difference from lace front wigs to full lace wigs.  My sister of course bashed me for paying so much and directed me to Celebrity Style Wigs where she purchased her first unit for about $250.00 cheaper.  So I bought two from Celebrity Style.  After that, I gained an interest in selling them and got an account with Tradekey and made outreach to several vendors.  I then did a search on Google and found BHM (thank you).  I have since lost the interest in selling but still love buying them for myself although I'm trying to slow down in 2008. 
stephshe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephshe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 10:00am

I always liked curly/wavy hair and I tried everything on my relaxed hair to make it that way(wave irons,wave rollers, wash and sets,spiral sets) but they never lasted long and I never really like the finished effect for more than a few days. I wore weave at times but my hair was sooo long (about 18") that the weaves never layed flat and I experienced shedding once I removed the weave and took my braids out. I also use to color my hair a lot and heat styled it contantly which made my natural hair pretty thin and damaged.

I like the idea of not having to damage my own hair by wearing lf's which has actually thickened my hair up quite a bit in the last year. I can also get the curly/wavy styles I have always craved. I have worn my natural hair out when I needed a break but I think I will always wears them for variety.  

P.S. I said i was going to slow down too in 2008 but so far no luck, I've bought 4 in the last 2 months but I'm gonna stop for nowEmbarrassed. The good thing is you can always sell them and get some of your money back.

Edited by stephshe - March 18 2008 at 10:03am
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 10:02am
i started as a protective style to continue my hair growth journey now since i have no more bad hair days and its more work to fool with my own hair.. but i like the option of lfs and so i've not grown tired yet..
Breh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 10:03am
Well I started wearing them to grow back my hair. My hair had grown to mid back length and then broke from the stress of planning my wedding, graduating, and moving in 2006. So I had to cut it to an ear length bob and I then started on my journey to find a protective style to grow my hair out. I stumbled on BHM  and the LF section in 2005, and lurked, but got really busy in 2006 with the wedding plans so that was pushed to the back burner until my hair broke off and then I found them again. I ordered my first LF from AAMH, and that started my lf addiction. My goal basically was and still is to grow my hair with a great protective style, and I have been very successful with doing that thanks to lfs.
Curlygirl11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 10:27am

Man! There are a bunch of reasons I started wearing them and probably always will now that  I see how good it is for my natural hair. Here are my reasons:

1. I've been wearing my hair in it's naturally curly state for over 10 years which has allowed it to grow really long but I like to wear it straight from time to time. However, it's very soft so it will start to poof up at the slightest hint of moisture which means I'd have to flat iron it everyday to keep it straight and I don't want to damage it.

2. About 6 months ago some of it began to fall out to due stress (VERY stressful job). My mother's hair used to do the same thing when she was stressed for too long but it would grow back. The thiness was making me self-concious so I tried gluing tracks in for more fullness for a minute. They looked good but it's usually breezy in California and I was always paranoid about the possibility of the wind blowing my hair and exposing a track.

I've been wearing flw's for about 5  months now and my hair is thickening back up and is about 20" - 22" long but I'm addicted to the lace now. I LOVE the ability to play with colors and textures. I've never colored my natural hair and I'm sure I never will now that I know I can try all the chemicals I want on the flw's and leave my own hair natural and healthy.

Edited by Curlygirl11 - March 18 2008 at 10:29am
LaceLover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaceLover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 11:26am
Basically, alopecia.  I have about a 2" bald ring around my head.  I've been trying to grow that ring for four years now.... no luck.
Unladylikediva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unladylikediva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 11:43am
I started wearing lfw because I live in Miami....with that said the humidity is killer to someone with the type of hair I have.  My hair is APL, fine and naturally wavy.  I have a relaxer but because of the abundance of humidity in SoFL my hair WILL NOT act accordingly.  I learned the hard way when I first moved here 5 years ago that fighting with the humidity is not the way to go.  So I moved into the world or weaves and wigs.  I love weaves don't get me wrong but I always change the style and color...simply because I know I can.  With that in mind I was changing my hairstyles every 2 weeks...and yes I was spending so much on BSS weaves and having it done...that I finally did the math.  The $$$ I was spending on buying the length alone, (I love long hair....I've always had long hair myself)...coupled with the quality of hair I was buying I was spending close to $200 a month....basically unknown to me buying a wig a month.  So living in Miami exposed to all of this hair, I did some research and discovered the world of LFW's. It has given me the oppurtunity to change styles, textures and lengths on a whims notice.
bookbabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookbabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 12:56pm
Well I haven't started wearing them yet but I orderd a few!! My reasons are well, their are a few the 1st reason is that where I live there aren't any good hair dressers. If you decided to go to one it looked like it was a week old the 1st day!!so I traveled 7 hours to get to my hair dresser.I got tierd of that  so i started to wear beauty supply store wigs oh did I forget to say we have NO beauty supply stories here?? so I had to order them online. To cut along story short I started a lf search came up with MWAW  1 month exactly before I decided to order one I found BHM now I'm here on HB getting the Knowledge to hopefully keep my LW alive !!!
TooBlessed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooBlessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 1:24pm
I started wearing LFs when I had a blonde moment. I was bored with my hair (as usual) and wanted to do something different. So I dyed my hair blonde. What I didn't think about is the maintenance of having blonde hair. I have always been a low maintenance hair person so blonde should have been the last thing on my list.

I was good for about one month and then I started slacking on the care of my blonde hair. My hair got angry at me and started jumping ship off my head. It was really, really bad. So I decided to chop my hair down to about 1". But me being as vain as I am, what the heck was I going to do with 1" worth of hair? Couldn't weave it (I felt it was too short). I broke down and brought a BSS wig but I still wasn't happy.

So one night while watching Tyra Banks on ANTM, I said, I want hair just like hers. I did a google search on Tyra's hair and found BHM and it was on since then.   
missmodesty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missmodesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 1:41pm
I started wearing lace front because my hair started to thin out and i didnt real had time at the time to properly care for it and it was kinda frustrating.so i decided to give it a try and now im addicted,on top of that its a great way to protect your hair from heat,damage,dirt etc and the growth is unbelievable!

so yeah thats why i started wearing them babies.

Edited by missmodesty - March 18 2008 at 1:55pm
choclatey77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choclatey77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 4:52pm
Cause i wanted to be the flyest byatch in Milwaukee lol. 
missmodesty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missmodesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by choclatey77 choclatey77 wrote:

LOLLOLLOL
Curlygirl11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by choclatey77 choclatey77 wrote:

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Go on ahead witcha bad self. I ain't mad at you. Wink
materialgirlclk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote materialgirlclk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 7:32pm
My reason is a lil more vain than everyone else. i have a head full of hair to my middle back but i've always thought that wavy haired dark skin girls were so pretty. i got the dark skin and pretty part just not the silky wavy shiny hair. now i can. when i was in my early 20's i would think dang dang i'd be a bad mf if i had some curly/wavy hair. so that's why. straight and to the point. can't get anymore honest than that.
Crimsonsugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crimsonsugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 9:17pm

I still have a head full of dry frizzy hair.  I started wearing lacefronts r/t thinning in some areas and I have a love/hate relationship with my hair.

LovelyLisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LovelyLisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 10:36am
Thanks for asking! I started wearing Lace Fronts because I got tired of all the glue with Weave tracks.  My hair got thin and just horrible to the point I was bald up front.  After wearing LF for 2 years, My natural hair is so healthy and has grown so much.

This weekend I will share with you my before and now pics of my hair.

I was so embarrassed, but now I love to take off my LF just so folks can see my hair! 

The response I now get is " Lisa why do you not wear your own hair"

I will continue to take care of my natural hair while still rockin a LF!

I do owe my growth to MSM though! I started using it when I tried LF's.  I believe it really works!
ChildofGod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChildofGod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 11:24am
I just purchased my first lf due to hair loss from chemo. My daughter who is 27, suggested I get a lace wig like Beyonce, they went to high school together in Houston and she knew that B always wore weaves because her mom was a hair stylist. I lived in Houston for 15 years till my girls were grown and I moved to the D/FW area. I don't have enough hair left for a weave and don't believe I would like it. So she sent me the link to BHM, and thus began my journey to re-grown my own hair and look good at the same time.
NaturalNapz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaturalNapz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2008 at 1:42am
Mmmm....hair breakage, which lead to lace wigs which then lead to me having no fear in going all natural.  I'm love n it!
illustrious1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illustrious1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2008 at 5:13pm
I do it becuase I love fly arse hair and a lf does that for me. I would be lying if I sad it tp grow my hair, to be honest I don't even care about my real hair. It is kinda sad! diablo
PrincessLF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessLF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2008 at 6:26pm

Illustrious1, not sad at all.  Even if my hair grew, I would still continue wearing lace wigs.  I like the ability of changing lengths and colors whenever I feel.  I love LF's.

Edited by PrincessLF - March 22 2008 at 6:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic