Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your idea of Great Hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your idea of Great Hair?
    Posted: June 17 2003 at 7:48am
Is it just me or are the boards slow these days? Here is my attempt to pick things up a bit...

When you think of really *great* hair, what comes to mind? What is the texture, color, length, style, etc? Is this ideal representation one that changes in your mind's eye, or have you always considered one type/style of hair to be perfect?
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 9:52am
i sound like i repeat myself. demi moore for me has my great hair. i like the color, length, texure and style. her style is great because it's simple but looks good. i like when she had bangs too. she looks good without them too.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 10:42am
Heheh...that's funny because I think your hair actually looks a lot like Demi's. :-) Perfection is yours!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 10:49am
Hi Lyris

My fantasy-perfect hair is:

Black
Straight-ish
Ankle-length
Falls in a natural shape of varying lengths (not trimmed into an even line)
Ends have their natural taper (no blunt ends)
No split-ends
Mirror-like glossiness
Having horizontal fullnes/volume

Cheers
Uzi

papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 12:27pm
It wasn't until I started dancing that I came up with an idea of great hair.
Naturally wavy, or wavy due to putting hair in braids.
Black or dark brown with sun-kissed highlights.
Mid-back to waist length.
Completely natural.. no chemicals to create the style - just flowing the way hair should be.
3katz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3katz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 12:49pm
Hi Lyris,

Right now I am casting covetous eyes at the "Barely There Barrette" model on page 2 of my newly arrived but already desecrated France Luxe catalog. I'm usually pretty happy with my hair, but it's too thick and wavy to lie flat like that. I like her highlights, too, not "stripey" at all. It doesn't help the photo doesn't indicate how long it really is. The total simplicity of it is quite attractive to me.

Peace,

Jean

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Lyris Lyris wrote:

Heheh...that's funny because I think your hair actually looks a lot like Demi's. :-) Perfection is yours!

thank you demi's hair is alittle bit darker and longer. her hair is straight on it's own. i have to blow dry to have my hair straight. i only do that once in awhile. you know how that is, people want the opposite of what they have. i have curly/wavy hair i want straight hair.
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 3:31pm
length : 1.4m (knee)
color : either a vibrant black or grey.

Then after 30, you'll always look good as you age. I just hope my terminal length is at least to the knees though :P
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 4:00pm
oh yeah and NO SPLIT ENDS!! aww that would be heaven!!!!!
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 4:28pm
When I think "great hair", I think HEALTHY, above all.

Healthy, shiny, beautiful color, with body.
[/url]

grenwich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grenwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 6:24pm
Would it be horrible of me to say my idea of great hair is my own?
After many years of fighting with my locks, I've made peace with them - and that is great.
I'm truly happy with my hair, and that seems pretty much the ideal.

Or am I a pompous @$$?

Gren

1bCiii
between tailbone and classic (43.5inches)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by grenwich grenwich wrote:

Would it be horrible of me to say my idea of great hair is my own?
After many years of fighting with my locks, I've made peace with them - and that is great.
I'm truly happy with my hair, and that seems pretty much the ideal.

Or am I a pompous @$$?

Gren

i think that is not horrible at all to say! you have beautiful hair i've read your posts on how much you put into your hair. why not be happy with your own hair?
grenwich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grenwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 8:11pm
Thank you Princess Monica - that's very sweet and kind of you to say.

It's taken a long time for me to become happy with my hair, and a great deal of that was simple acceptance.

Accepting the fact that my hair hates to be up - I have serious updo envy! Accepting that it's not freshly waxed shiny, and that split ends happen, no matter how gentle I am.

Gren

1bCiii

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 9:33pm
you have split ends gren? your hair sure doesn't look like it. i know how you feel. i still have split ends no matter how gentle i am also. it gets so frustrating!!!!!
kind of off the subject but how long did it take you to grow out your hair grenwich?
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 9:50pm
My idea of perfect hair would have to be Reese Witherspoon in Legally Blonde. Even the fact that was not all of her hair (extensions) That would be my dream hair on myself, if I could afford the extensions.

Just my opinion.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Brunette Beauty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brunette Beauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 11:20pm
Hi All! My idea of beautiful hair has always been waist length, wavy/curly--like Alanis Morissette's. Demi Moore's hair is absolutely gorgeous though.
I like Ana Kournikova's too.
Sheila
Brunette Beauty
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 6:11am
The brunette in the current Pantene commercial. Perfect length (for me) and so silky!

jacqui
grenwich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grenwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 7:12am
Originally posted by princessmonica princessmonica wrote:

you have split ends gren? your hair sure doesn't look like it. i know how you feel. i still have split ends no matter how gentle i am also. it gets so frustrating!!!!!
kind of off the subject but how long did it take you to grow out your hair grenwich?

LOL PrincessM - yes I do! and I keep a pair of hair scissors handy, and trim during commericals while vegging in front of the TV!
To answer your question - next year, 2004, will be my 20th anniversary of growing. In 1984, I had hair about an inch long on top, and very closely buzzed sides. It had been colored, moussed, gelled, blowdried, and beat to death. I hated it and was sick of the whole process of mass media hair care, so I stopped doing anything to it. I had horrible hair for several years while it grew out. Once it reached my shoulders, it was better. Once it got to mid back, I knew I was not ever going to have short hair again.
I've had 2 major trims over the years - one in the early 90's, of about 6 inches, and one in 2000, again about 6 inches. I do little trims every now and again, the last at Easter, of about 1.5 inches.

So there you are. History of Gren's hair.
Now you know why I am the first to say "patience" when someone asks how to get long hair!
Gren

1bCiii
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 2:07pm
Wow, Gren. That's pretty cool. I do the same thing, cut split ends while I'm watching TV.

My ideal hair, like Jacqui said, are the gals in the Pantene commercials. Which is sad, because hair doesn't look anything like that in reality. Those girls look more like anime, the way their hair bounces. I know it must be 5% real life and 95% computer enhancement. The sparkle, the shine, the slow motion healthy bounce and wave.
If it is humanly possible to have hair like that, one thing's for sure. Pantene isn't what's going to get you there!
Gals on TV only have gorgeous hair because A) they're usually wearing a wig and B) wig or not, there is a professional hairstylist, just outside of camera range, ALL THE TIME! They touch up constantly! And literally, if the camera moved 6 inches to the left, I think you would see a hair stylist right there. Especially in shampoo commercials! But also in sitcoms and movies.

In reality though, I agree with Gren. I like my hair! But I'm vain, I won't deny.

Great topic Lyris! You achieved your goal! Look at all this buzz in just 24 hours.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 2:47pm
Gren, your hair is 19 years old?

That's amazing - very impressive!!

You must be one of the longest and most dedicated growers on this forum - if not THE longest.

Has anyone else here grown their hair out for a comparable period of time?
Uzi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic