Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Hair Story *Now with Picture!!*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lengthygoal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lengthygoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Hair Story *Now with Picture!!*
    Posted: June 23 2008 at 6:58am

Once around 5 or 6 years ago I had hair so long that I could sit on it. I was 12 years old living with my Grandma and Mom and wasn't allowed to cut my hair short. I turned 13 started middle school and wanted to cut it to my shoulders. Many years and hairstyles later I'm growing it back out and wishing I had never cut it. I have extremely thick hair that is currently about halfway down my back. My goal is knee length hair. After it reaches my knees I plan to donate a good portion of it to Locks of Love. I figure that if I grow it to my knees and then donate about 10-12 inches I can still have lovely waist length hair.

I just wanted to share my story and gather some advice on long hair styles, care and anything else anyone has to offer. I would really like some tips on wearing my hair up since I just got hired as a waitress and I'm required to wear my hair up. Thanks for sharing and reading!

My First picture of my hair!!! Tell me what you think. I've now realized that my hair is the same color as Cousin It from the Adam's Family!!

Edited by Lengthygoal - August 13 2008 at 8:33pm
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2008 at 8:50am
Welcome!  I'm going to stay away from the lol topic. 

Blow drying your hair isn't bad for it as long as you use the cool setting, but straightening with heat is damaging.  If your hair isn't really wavy or curly, you may have luck just blow drying it while combing it straight (on the cool setting).  Another method is to wrap your hair around something really large and let it dry that way, such as a big juice can (I know curly girls who used to use this method in high school - but frankly, it sounds too uncomfortable!).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lengthygoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2008 at 8:57am
I can get my hair straight if I blow dry but then it tends to be poofy and if I add anything to de-poof I end up with crinkles.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2008 at 8:02am
I don't know what you mean by crinkles.  You mean bumps that show up when you de-poof your hair by adding gel products/ leave-in conditioners that weren't there when it was poofy from blow drying?

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lengthygoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2008 at 9:05am
Yeah. Sorry it seemed like the best word to describe what my hair ends up looking like. I don't use any heat styling when I put it up but I like to wear my hair down when I can.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 7:04am
Have you tried oiling it?  I guess if your crinkles are natural, those would still be there though, same as if you used any other de-poof product.  Natural crinkles usually look fine though because they are in an even pattern.

If the crinkles are caused by wearing it up in the clip the first day, you could just not wear it up anytime between washing it and the day you want to wear it down.  I get that problem if I sleep with my hair in a braid or ponytail.  I don't like the kinks either because they don't look natural, too uneven, so I try to sleep with it down if I'm going to wear it down the next day.  I always oil it first though, to make sure it doesn't get too damaged with tangles.  If you go to AnaisSatin's "abbreviations, thread directory" on top of this board, you will find links for how to oil.  Some people like it, some people don't.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lengthygoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 7:26pm
Thanks I've been reading a few things about oiling and want to try it. My hair isn't ever greasy or anything so I think it would work well. The crinkles are natural and more wavies than anything else. For the past several days I've been wearing my hair down without straightening or blow drying. My hair is really shiny and I've gotten mroe compliments wearing it natural than I ever did with it straight. Thanks again for the advice.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lengthygoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 10:30am
I have purchases some Herbal Oil from Wal-Mart its a blend of a bunch of natural oils. It has soy bean oil, jajoba, grapeseed, and a bunch of others. Its awesome for my hair and my skin. Its affordable too!!

Edited by Lengthygoal - June 30 2008 at 10:48am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lengthygoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 9:05am

I just wondering if anyone had tried the new Herbal Essences Long Hair shampoo? I've used it before I bought some Mane and Tale and wanted to know what everyone else thougth about it if they had tried it.

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2008 at 9:33am
I haven't tried that one.  I'm glad you found an oil you like!  Often wavy hair looks very nice oiled, it makes it shiny, not frizzy, and helps bring out its natural texture.  If people are complimenting it, I bet your hair looks great!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lengthygoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2008 at 10:23am
The greatest thing about the Herbal Oil is that I can use it just like I used to use anti frizz stuff so now I'm not using the silocone stuff!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 8:05am
Excellent!  And thanks for the tip, I didn't know you could get good oils like that at walmart.  Its nice that some of the natural stuff is becoming cheaper and more widely available!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lengthygoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 10:03pm
I know! I've started to really shop around for vitamins and hair products with really great findings!! I found a hair, skin, and nails vitamin that is  only around $6-7 and has 145 capsules. I've begun to take it and have yet to see the difference in my hair, (I'm pretty sure I can thank the oil for its unbelievable softness!!) but my nails have started to look a lot better. It has like 23 different vitamins/minerals in it. Biotin, calcium, iron, vitamin d, vitamin c, folic acid.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lengthygoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2008 at 9:02pm
I purchased some coconut oil the other day. Its simply Lou Ann's coconut oil found in the cooking aisle section of like walmart or target or whatever. It melts at 77 degrees. I'm absolutly in love with it!!! My hair has never been so shiny and soft!!! My boyfriend kept petting it and saying how wonderful it felt!! I've been using a little each day as a de-frizzer and on friday nights I coat my hair in like slather it on and leave it on about 12 hours before washing it. Its really affordable as well. I think I payed around $5 for a large jar. It has no smell at all so it would be great when used with essential or frangance oils. Speaking of I want to find an essential or frangance that sort of mimicks the smell found in most shampoos, store bought condintioners and the like. If anyone knows of a blend that would give me that result let me know!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lengthygoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2008 at 7:21pm
I bought some jojoba oil today!! I found it at the  Whole Food Market. It was $7.99 for 4 oz. I used a little on my ends and then sort of ran my hands through my hair to coat it a little as well. My Hair is so shiny! Where I had it on my hands they are so soft! Okay so I'm addicted to Jojoba like the rest of you! But I still the coconut oil for a good heavy heavy oiling.
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2008 at 7:44am

Sounds good. Love to see new pics of your softer hair.

I've been using Jojoba oil. I bought some coconut oil yesterday at walmart in the vitamins section. Can't wait to try it!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lengthygoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 12:03am
Let me know if it is also the 76 degree kind okay? I almost bought that before I found the kind I bought from the cooking oil section. It was also cheaper. I was unsure which would be better.
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 8:04am
It is extra virgin coconut oil. I don't know about 76 degree?

It is solid and turns to liquid in your hands.

Edited by paper - August 25 2008 at 8:05am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lengthygoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 7:31pm
Yeah it sounds like 76 degrees kind. How do you like it?
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 7:22am
Oh, I love it. It made my hair so soft and it really brought out my waves. And it smells great.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic