Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greying and growing long hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
friendlyspirit View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friendlyspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greying and growing long hair
    Posted: August 11 2004 at 12:07pm
Greetings,

This looks like the place to come to for support of long hair in general. I'm in my mid 50's and have felt the urge to just let my hair grow. It is now about an inch below my shoulders. Doesn't look at all the way one is led to believe by some hairdressers and folks who think the solution to aging is a hair cut. I wear it up most of the time and find it much easier to care for long than it was short. And it just feels right for me.

My next move is to stop coloring and allow it to show its true color(s) -- a mix of grey, auburn and brown I think. (I don't recall, its been so long).

Any ideas on how to resist temptation to cut it all off and let it grow, or to go back to coloring it. My hairdresser tells me there is no easy way to make the transition and those are my two options. I am thinking of wearing headcoverings during the winter -- but am also looking for positive ideas and feedback from others who have done this;

Thank you!!

Deeanne
nygal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nygal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by friendlyspirit friendlyspirit wrote:

Greetings,

This looks like the place to come to for support of long hair in general. I'm in my mid 50's and have felt the urge to just let my hair grow. It is now about an inch below my shoulders. Doesn't look at all the way one is led to believe by some hairdressers and folks who think the solution to aging is a hair cut. I wear it up most of the time and find it much easier to care for long than it was short. And it just feels right for me.

My next move is to stop coloring and allow it to show its true color(s) -- a mix of grey, auburn and brown I think. (I don't recall, its been so long).

Any ideas on how to resist temptation to cut it all off and let it grow, or to go back to coloring it. My hairdresser tells me there is no easy way to make the transition and those are my two options. I am thinking of wearing headcoverings during the winter -- but am also looking for positive ideas and feedback from others who have done this;

Thank you!!

Deeanne

Hi Deeanne!
Well, you can't tell by my avatar because when I wear my hair down you really can't notice it, but when I pull it back, I'm fairly gray. It's all underneath, and I'm not sure why. Anyway, I'm 36 and for the longest time I was always thinking that I'm too young to have so much gray on my head. But, I decided to stop coloring and I haven't for years. Suprisingly, I get lots of compliments on it. I'd say to overcome the urge to color or to cut is to just realize that gray is beautiful and so is long hair. If you like it on yourself, then just let it go to it's natural state. Is your hair all one length? If it is, then it should be easy to keep on letting it grow. And, there are shampoos out there that are designed to make grays look shiny and bright! And, the biggest factor for me to just let it go natural is that when I see women who color their hair for the longest time finally decide to stop all you see are gray roots, and I don't like that. Letting your hair turn gray naturally will blend them in and over time, you'll just have a wonderful head of shiny, beautiful, long gray hair! Was that long winded, or what?
I'm not even sure if this answered your question. I feel like I just rambled!

Kathy
I bought some batteries, but they weren't included.
.....Steven Wright
deeanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deeanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 1:20pm
Greetings -

(I went and signed up and am using deeanne instead of friendly spirit).

Kathy, your words are very helpful. My "root" issue is that my hair has been a light red for years. My real hair color is probably a mix of grey, dark brown and auburn tones. I picture my hair growing in with dark greying roots and inches of the light red. I do not want to cut anything off (aside from trims) and figure it will take years for the light red to grow out.

This may just have to be something I bear until it has grown out. Hard enough to have long hair at over 50, without it being that blatantly growing out coloring.

I have a somewhat public position in my place of worship, where long gray hair is seen as a good thing -- colored hair is not approved, so I think part of my dread is stepping forth in that community.

Thank you for your words of support!
Oh, just came back in to edit -- my hair is layered with bangs and shaping as it looks pretty awful in one length only (my head it just too small -- or my body is too big!). Length of my hair now is 17 inches (from forehead to longest in the back) -- I will look for those supportive shampoos. But, alas, I am one of those people you mention, who have been coloring their hair and now all you can see are roots!

Deeanne --************If this is what over the hill is like, , I wish I'd started out here...
nygal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nygal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 1:38pm
Hi Deeanne..
Welcome officially!
You'll find on these boards that many people are very helpful and my reply won't be the only one. I do wish that I had better ideas for you, but I really don't. But, like I said, someone will come and give you good ideas. If they're not what you're exactly looking for, at least you can make the decision to try to implement them some how.

good luck!
.....Steven Wright
deeanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deeanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 4:49pm
Thanks for the official welcome!

Just having a place where I can come and post - or just read posts -- while doing this is very helpful! I felt kind of out there and alone with this notion that it is OK to have long hair when you're over 50... now I see this is not that unusual an idea; even if it is, there's lots of support.

I am thrilled to have found you all!

Deeanne
Deeanne --************If this is what over the hill is like, , I wish I'd started out here...
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 4:57pm
I am not greying yet... at least not officially : ) ... some show up here and there. but I've sworn to myself to not dye my greys when they arrive. Long grey tresses at old age just looks and sounds a lot more elegant than permed "helmet hair".

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
nygal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nygal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 6:45pm
I actually just saw two women the other day at one of our local malls who must have been in their 60's. I noticed one of them because she had long straight hair past her shoulders and it was completely white. At first I thought that she was bleaching it, but when I took a closer look at her hair when she was walking in front of me, I noticed that it wasn't bleached, it was her natural white and it looked beautiful. I was also impressed by the fact that she didn't chop and perm it.
.....Steven Wright
SpookyDonna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpookyDonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2004 at 12:10am
I love to see long grey, silver hair on a man or woman. Just demands respect from me.

I have stopped coloring mine, I have the slat and pepper going but less pepper.
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2004 at 5:18am
Hi- A thought is have the red taken out and dye your hair as close to your natural color as possible, with some lighter highlights at the top that will help transition the new growth to the rest of your head...so you don't see the "line" of grey? then as the color fades, it will hopefully blend in with the rest?

Just a thought.

Good luck

jacqui
deeanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deeanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2004 at 5:36am
nygal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nygal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2004 at 2:36pm
Let us know what happens?
.....Steven Wright
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2004 at 3:21pm
I have to confess, I´m slightly envious. I am 38 and no sign of grey anywhere. I thought I had one in my brow once, but I think I was hallucinating, cause it never came back! I think grey long hair is beautiful and so dignified.

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
deeanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deeanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 8:28pm
Greetings --

So far so good -- hairdresser was just fine since long hair is in -- I did explain that's not why I'm doing this -- I've been looking at women even older than me and wondering how I want to look when I'm 60, 70, even 80 .

Anyway, now I have to battle my own mixed feelings about coloring my hair. He warns that I will be soooo grey and the growing out phase will be skunk-like. Yes, well.... I wish I could just wake up with white hair.

Some of my reluctance is because I have a 13 year old still at home -- I'm old enough to be his grandmother, though no one has said that thanks (I think) at least partly to my coloring my hair.

I go back in a month for 'color' (didn't get any this month) and will try to be strong in what I want. I am weak....vanity vanity.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2004 at 3:44pm
The idea that women at a given age MUST wear a Q-tip 'do is simply crap. It's wonderful to hear from women determined to buck that crazy notion, and do that which makes them feel pretty and feminine. Thanks! Bob
deeanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deeanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2005 at 7:03pm

It seems like a looong time since I was here - I changed computers, got lost and got busy.... This forum helped me so much in my hair growing escapades --

It seems my hair is growing so slow, but it is growing (I can tell by the amount the color is growing out).  My hair has only grown about 2 inches since last I posted here.  I have been getting it trimmed every other month, but I think in my family, hair doesn't grow fast or even get very long.  (My sister just about never cuts her hair - 10 years she's had it long, but it isn't even to her waist).

Is this diet? Genetics?  Lack of fresh air and exercise? (only half kidding with these questions).  Also could be hormones, as my sister and I are both over 50 ...me more so than she.

Oh, well.  The gray is coming in, but there isn't nearly as much of it as my hairdresser used to claim when I'd go in for a color.  It doesn't look horrible growing out, most people don't even notice.

Anyway, a late thanks for the support for older, graying women having long hair.  I feel so much better.  And have had some folks tell me I look great. 

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 7:28am
Diet, genetics and lack of exercise could all play a role.  The best thing to do is go for balance.  Eat balanced meals, drink lots of water, don't overdo the coffee, take a multivitamin if you don't already (but don't take too many vitamins because too much can be bad).  Hair does seem to grow a little faster if you exercise.  Lightly massaging the scalp before shampooing works wonders for some.  All of that would just rule out anything you may be missing.   I have to say I wish I would get some nice long gray, I so wanted my hair to be like my mothers with some silver streaks in it (which she got when she was younger than me)...still waiting!
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 3:05pm
How much do you get it trimmed every other month? That could be enough to keep you from getting longer.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
deeanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deeanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 4:14pm

<<How much do you get it trimmed every other month? That could be enough to keep you from getting longer.>>

Interesting question -- I just got back from the hairdressers (taking my 13 year old, not me) where I decided to go without any trim -- it has been 5 weeks since my last trim and I wasn't paying much attention. 

I'm going to run this for a bit and see what happens.  Also follow Susan W.'s advice on eating balanced and lots of water. (Coffee. oh dear..I do drink more than my share of coffee...) And more walking, etc.

Hairdresser greated me with "I don't like you with greying hair" and I said "I do..."  remembering a post about hairdressers and their need to sell something.  Looked around and everyone there has colored hair, women in their 60's and 70's - good for them, but not for me. I am so much happier with my long greying locks, it fits who I am much better.

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 9:06pm
Welcome back, Deanna!

Hmm... 5 weeks since your last trim?  You may want to consider going much longer between trims (and learn to "dust" your own hair to remove split ends).  Time to tell your hairdresser "no thanks" to too-frequent trims and to the unhelpful criticism. 
deeanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deeanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 10:13pm
"dust' ???
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic