Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shea Butter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Suers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shea Butter
    Posted: November 19 2004 at 7:50am
I found a jar of 100% shea butter at Walmart (Canada)for $10. It was with the "African" hair products. The brand is Shea Allnaturals, www.allnaturalcosmetics.ca They have a whole product line shampoo, conditioner, leave-in conditioners. I bought the solid butter just because I thought it would go farther than the leave-in conditioners which was $11. I put some on my itchy scalp last night and I am going to use more after I wash my hair today.

I always wonder why stores but some hair and skin products apart. I don't know why some people think that what they call "African" products are not good for many different hair types. I have found some of the best conditioning products in that section. Why not just put all the conditioners in one section, all the shampoos in another section, all the skin creams etc..... These brands might have higher sales if they weren't stuck by themselves.
My grocery store used to a have a separate section for the organic foods. Now they just mix them up with all the other foods. So the goat's milk is sold along with the cow's milk etc. More people are trying these products now since they see them.

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2004 at 8:17pm
My mom sells shea butter. She gets it from this lady who packages it herself and puts in the essential oils. She sells it for like $5 for a little tub.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
korsakovhatt3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2004 at 3:02pm
That doesn't sound unreasonable. The conditioner I use has lots of other ingredients -- including water, aloe vera, coconut oil... --in it. It probably contains a rather small amount of shea butter.

Using 100% shea butter just means you'll have to use less than you would of a pre-formulated (diluted) conditioner.
My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)
Suers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2004 at 10:11am
I found a small jar of 100% shea butter at a natural health/food store. I thought I might think about it since it was $20. Is this a bit expensive. I thought I might shop around abit. I am wondering just how much shea butter is in that President's choice conditioner.
korsakovhatt3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2004 at 7:06pm
I use Shea Butter a lot. I buy PC Out of Africa Botanical Secrets Shea Butter Shampoo & Conditioner (it has aloe vera in it too) at the supermarket. I love them, but I think they're only available in Canada.

You may be able to find another brand of shea butter conditioner in the African American hair-care section of your drugstore or beauty supplier.

If you can't find a pre-formulated conditioner, you can use natural shea butter. It's available on-line and in many health food stores. After shampooing and toweling your hair, just rub a blob in the palms of your hands until it liquifies. Then, massage it into your scalp and your hair. Leave it on for anywhere from 2 to 30 minutes. If you want to do a deep treatment, wrap your hair in a warm, damp towel or a plastic bag and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then, rinse your hair with tepid water. I hope you'll like the results as much I do.

I've also heard of people using shea butter body cream in their hair. For some reason, it's easier to find than the hair conditioner. It usually contains the same ingredients.

P.S. Shea butter makes my hair very soft and shiny. It also treats & prevents scalp dryness, itchiness and dandruff.
My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2004 at 6:19pm
I loooove Shea butter... but only use it for my skin because I have the sticky natural Ghana kind.

Korsakovhatt... you have a conditioner recipe with Shea butter right?

Anais
LongBraidz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2004 at 3:30pm
Hi,
I recently read where shea butter can actually be beneficial to your hair. Has anyone used this particuliar product and what was your personal experience. Thank You in advance for your reply.
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~Kahlil Gibran~
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic