Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scissorless Ends; Terminal Length

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
strawberryfine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scissorless Ends; Terminal Length
    Posted: November 28 2004 at 3:46am
Scissorless Ends.
It has been almost eight months since scissors touched my hair and the ends still look surprisingly good. Now when I see the first split, I may dust, but I figure that a split end is no longer an intact end so it really wouldn't matter if I dusted it.

I want maximum growth and I would really like to acheive terminal length and I'm not sure you can do that if you are trimming. Everything you cut off is part of your potential length.

Is anyone else doing this?

TIA,
strawberryfine
strawberryfine
2aFii
12/25.5"/terminal length after reaching "small of my back length"
korsakovhatt3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2004 at 8:23am
I'm getting regular trims these days because I've decided I like my hair above waist-length. When I was in university, though, I went at least 6 years without a trim and didn't get split ends. I didn't even condition my hair regularly back then. I never used a blow dryer, though. I think maybe my hair just doesn't split. Not everyone's does.

Even if you do get a few split ends and need to trim maybe 1/2" per year, you'll still be adding significantly to your length. Dusting is a good idea, too, if you want to skip the trims altogether. If you keep an eye on those ends, you can prevent small splits from spreading up the shaft with a tiny snip.

Even if you do trim 1/2" each year, if your hair grows at the average rate, you'll still have about 5.5" of new length per year. If your hair grows quickly, like mine, even with a trim you could have nearly 1ft. per year.

By the way, your hair is a beautiful colour. It looks extremely shiny and healthy. With some time and patience (that's the hardest part) you'll reach your hair length goal before you know it. The important thing is to enjoy your hair all the time, though. Don't just long (pun intended) for terminal length. Enjoy the process. Your hair will be beautiful regardless of its length.
My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2004 at 10:17am
I am doing it exactly like you. I had my last trim in May, and I´ve spotted perhaps 20 split ends since then, much due to my better caring for it. Terminal length, sure, but not at the expense of looking my best, that´s my motto. But I haven´t really decided what length I´ll be comfortable with yet, I´m still new at being a longhair.

Your hair, by the way, looks great!

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
alista View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alista Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2004 at 12:35pm
can someone explain "dusting" to me? Thanx
I once saw a bumper sticker that said:
"I slow down for brunettes, stop for
blonds, and back up for redheads!"
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2004 at 1:18pm
Hi Strawberryfine,

I went through a scissorless phase too. It was a time when I decided I would never cut my hair ever again and go for natural taper. that lasted about two weeks-- too much friction!

Anais

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2004 at 3:33pm
Wow, thanks for all those great replies! Seriously.

Korsokavatt, (I hope, hope, hope I spelled that right) I really like what you had to say. I think dusting and maybe a half inch trim a year if needed would be good. I think my hair doesn't split very easily either. I've never had much problem with splits, even with chemical processing in the past.

Like Viktoria said, terminal length but not at the expense of bad looking hair. Sounds like a good plan to me!

And Anais, you mentioned friction. Something else I'm trying to do is wear less rough textured clothing. I'm trying to keep my blouses and tops made out of silky materials. I figure if I start all this while my hair is still so short it will probably pay off later on.

I know I'm hair-obsessed but I'm not unhappy with my hair at its present length. I just want it longer, a lot longer. But waiting on hair to grow could be a little like watching paint dry or like my grandmother used to say, "A watched pot never boils".

Allista, dusting is a method of trimming where you take small sections of hair with your hair dry and twist it until the little ends stick out. You need to be in good light. Some people have good luck in front of their computer monitor. Then with a sharp pair of haircutting shears that you don't use on anything else, you just snip off just the visible split ends or white dots. You can then twist the strand the opposite direction and check it again for splits. This is sometimes called a Search and Destroy Mission. You repeat this all over your head. But you don't have to do your whole head at one sitting.

You can get good haircutting shears for not a lot of money at Sallys Beauty Supply. Another good place is at a pet supply store or online. They often carry the same brands as beauty supply stores and they can cost up to 75% less. (I've worked as a hairstylist and as a dog groomer!) And always guard against dropping them. You can dull the tips and throw the blades out of alignment.

And thanks for the lovely compliments on my hair. When someone says my hair looks nice, I tend to look behind me to see who they are talking to.

You all have such beautiful hair; I can't wait until I have lovely length like yours!

Thanks again,
strawberryfine
strawberryfine
2aFii
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2004 at 8:16pm
Hi Strawberryfine,

I agree, if you want to reach terminal length, avoid any & all cutting (with the possible exception of carefully trimming off split and broken ends). Although reaching terminal length was never my goal, lately I think I'll go for it just because I'm already so close. My hair tapers to nothing already, but that nothingness does, over time, creep farther down my calf.

I agree with Juliana - your hair is super shiny and gorgeous!

Alista, "dusting" and "search & destroy" are means of finding and trimming broken and split strands just above the point of the break or split. I don't know if there is an authority on the definitions, but I believe that dusting involves taking a section of hair and twisting it, until the ends pop out. Presumably, those that are split are easy to find and trim. I prefer the "search & destroy" method, which involves fishing through loose hair (in a well-lit area) and carefully positioning the tips of a sharp pair of scissors just above the break/split and trimming the strand ends. When done (even if you've trimmed a lot of strands), you are left with "dust."

Hmm... I haven't done this in awhile, I really need to. Maybe in January?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2004 at 4:34pm
Dave,
If I had your hair, I'd definately let it go terminal. If you don't like it wheb it gets there, you can make any adjustments necessary for your comfort at that time! Just a thought...

Thanks for the compliment on my hair; it's so short!

strawberryfine

strawberryfine
2aFii
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic