Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ways to tye my hair up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shy One View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shy One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ways to tye my hair up
    Posted: December 07 2004 at 1:47pm
Anyone have any suggestions on ways to put my hair up without using elastics?
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2004 at 2:43pm
Sure! How long is it? Layered or one length? Bangs or not?
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
korsakovhatt3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2004 at 3:10pm
You should try the hair cinch. Susan W recommended it to me and I love it! I think the website is http://www.haircinch.com

I also just got a hairagami. It's really simple to use and keeps my hair in place. http://www.hairagami.com

If your hair is long enough and not too slippery you can twist it tightly, coil it into a bun and pull the end through the front. If you leave a long enough tail to wrap it around and pull it through a second time, it's extra secure. I find my hair stays up really well this way. Braiding it before coiling can help if your hair is particularly slippery. For extra stability, you can add a hair stick.

My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)
Shy One View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shy One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2004 at 5:46pm
My hair is almost down to my waist and it's all one length. I don't have bangs. I usually just put it in a pony tail really fast before I go out. I can't tie it back loosely or with a scrunchi type thing because it's so thin and slippery. This has really damaged my hair. I keep it down when I am home but I really need a new way to tie it up without damage. I'm sort of like a tom boy so i'm not really into fancy updos and such. hehe But i'm sure there' s something out there that I will like.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2004 at 7:11am
Well, for fast, I'd say try hair sticks. Once your hair is past bra strap, all you have to do is coil it up really tight into a bun shape, tuck the end under the bun, then weave a hair stick through it (going in on the outside right above where you tucked the ends under, then going to your scalp so your ends are trapped, and weaving away from and back to your scalp at least once more). This is very hair safe and it used to hold my hair up all day without falling out. Even more secure if you use 2 sticks. It may take some practice to get good hold, but you'll find the best way to do it after a few tries. I have a friend with fine hair, and she says only the short sticks work for her (but I like both long and short for me).

You can also use thick ponytail holders (not quite scrunchie big, but not thin either, to put your hair in a ponytail, braid it, put another one in the end, then bun it and use the hair stick to hold this braided bun in place.

Sometimes with scrunchies (which I wear around the house), you just have to find the right ones. I have some that slip out of my hair, but others that stay in really well. I find a good grippy type cloth helps, and satiny ones tend to slide out more.

If you sew, or know anyone else who would do it for you, you can also put some felt around some metal barettes to make them hair safe like my signature page shows. The felt helps the barettes stay in, and protects hair at the same time.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
korsakovhatt3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2004 at 1:54pm
All good suggestions, Susan. I have some large suede-covered ponytail holder and scrunchies. They look great, especially if you get a shade similar to your own colour. They don't damage my hair, and they have a nice non-slip surface which makes the scrunchies stay in slippery hair, without having to wrap them too tightly.
My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2004 at 8:31am
Hairsticks are really great for speed and comfort, and they do minimal damage on the hair. I just use one at a time, it´s quite enough.

I regularly get super fed up with my hair, and the only way to get through it without frustration-crew-cutting it, is the fast bun. Then a few weeks later, I rediscover, and love it.

Shy One View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shy One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2004 at 2:07pm
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think i'll try the hairsticks thing and maybe i'll find a hair safe hair tie that actually stays in my hair. I'll look into the textured ones but not even a tiny elastic band will stay put all day without slipping off. I have tons of fly aways on the sides of my head... I think it's from putting my hair up when it's wet and having them stretch and snap. I don't know why my hair is so weak.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2005 at 12:24pm
Hi Shy One... how about a braid?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic