Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to bun my hair?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LunarFlame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunarFlame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to bun my hair?!
    Posted: January 11 2005 at 11:38am
Hey everyone. I wanted to know, how in the world you do bun your hair? The only way I can get a bun, is if it is one of those messy ones, with a hair elastic.

My hair is really slippery.. so i need some help. How can I get a bun in my hair, and make it stay?
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2005 at 11:54am
Well, LunarFlame, it depends on how long your hair is. As for slip, if you intend to bun it, try to use a less potent conditioner and stay away from cones (perhaps you already do). If you live in a warm and cozy climate, it might help to dampen the hair slightly.

As mine was bsl and shorter, I would make a ponytail, coil it, twist it around the elastic and fasten with hairpins. Just stick the pins in at a 90 degree angle from your scalp and then change direction and shove them in under the elastic, or the center of the bun. A little practice will get you there. Since I am allergic, I would stay away from hairspay to control stray hairs, but I would use a hairnet the same color as my hair, which would be almost invisible, and pin it around the bun.

Now, when my hair is longer, I don´t need to fasten it with elastic first. And the longer it is, the easier it is to hold it up with just a few pins. The bits that you fasten pretty much holds the rest of the hair up. And I don´t use a hairnet anymore.

Make sure the hairpins are of good quality, with no sharp ends. There are longer hairpins as well, but I seem to return to the basic short ones after a while.

I hope you get the hang of it eventually. I actually think there are sites that show you how to do buns and other styles, perhaps someone else has the adresses?

LunarFlame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunarFlame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2005 at 12:10pm
thanks, I will take your advice.. another HUGE problem with my hair is that it is SO heavy. Thats why it dosent really like to stay in buns or anything. Before I began dying it.. I couldn't even put it in a ponytail. Now that it is thinner.. i can do a bit more, but like I said, its incredibly heavy.
strawberryfine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2005 at 2:24pm
I totally agree with Viktoria'a method. It is exactly what I do when I need my hair to stay up for any length of time.

I would just add, search out the most hair-friendly elastics you can find. I have some Scunci Soft and Light Hair Hosiery No Damage® Elastics, that are great! They are very soft with no metal or glue.

My hair is so slippery there is no way I can put it up securely without some type of elastic. Scunci also makes a pack of invisible hair nets, too.

HTH,
strawberryfine
2aFii
12/25.5"/terminal length after reaching "small of my back length"
MossbackMeadow View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MossbackMeadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2005 at 7:44am
Lunar,
My hair is coarse and heavy too. I wear my hair in a bun often, but the ponytail/pin method gets painful by the end of the day.
A more comfy way for me is to use small plastic jaw clips. They are about an inch wide - just make sure you get the ones with the long teeth. Twist hair into a bun and grab the coil and the hair close to the scalp with 4 clips, at the four compass points. If your hair is very long, you can also make a figure-8 shape for something different.
Suers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 9:33am
The secret to hair buns for thick heavy hair is the pins. Bobby pins don't work. Try to get heavy duty hair pins (shaped like a long "u") or plastic hair pins. I find that the plastic pins stay in better but sometimes break. They work for my "military do". I don't want my hair to escape out on parade.

Using a small hair net helps too. I trace a small plate onto tutu nettings and then sew or crochet the edges of the tulle circle over a hair elastic. The net keeps the pins from coming out completely.
I could post up some sites so you can see what these hair pins look like.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 8:59am
Another way to do it if your hair is bsl or longer is to twist it really tight into the coil, stick the ends underneath it, and weave a hairstick through it, making sure to weave outside and under the ends so they get trapped, and making sure to get the stick all the way to your scalp in a couple of places. It has to be coiled tight for it to work, and short hairsticks work better than long for slippery hair. I was unable to get it to work when my hair was even a couple inches shorter than bsl, but when it was bsl I could wear my hair like that all day without any pins or elastics and without it falling out. (My hair was also one length, no layers to stick out). It's also very hair-safe!

When my hair was dyed it worked better to, because my hair was slightly less slippery and a little thinner than when natural.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
strawberryfine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2005 at 2:42am
Originally posted by Suers Suers wrote:

Using a small hair net helps too. I trace a small plate onto tutu nettings and then sew or crochet the edges of the tulle circle over a hair elastic. The net keeps the pins from coming out completely.
I could post up some sites so you can see what these hair pins look like.

Suers,
That is such a good idea! I'll be trying that tomorrow.

Something I've been doing with a regular invisible hairnet is stretch the opening out straight holding it by the knots, grasp the net in the center and tie it in a knot. Then tie a second knot 1/2" from the first and cut between the knots.

This will give you two smaller hair nets, still big enough for a large bun but smaller than the original.

SF
strawberryfine
2aFii
12/25.5"/terminal length after reaching "small of my back length"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic