Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PurpleBubba's ~ First Rope Braid ~

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PurpleBubba's ~ First Rope Braid ~
    Posted: January 23 2005 at 3:05am
PurpleBubba's ~ First Rope Braid ~ Jan 23

I was just gonna go to bed and not do anything but I decided instead to try something. So here is my honest first ever self rope braid.

First the actual first results followed by my attempt at redoing the bottom half to get rid of that loose clump.

Now I'm going to go sleep with it.

Instructions:

1. Make a ponytail with a band. Mine was a low tail.
2. Split the tail into 3 even sections.
3. If you are right handed grab the right section. If you are left grab the left.
4. Take your section and twist that section a few times towards the ear or face.
5. Take that section and cross it over the other two sections.
6. Your middle section will now become either the left or right, whichever you used.
7. Take the new left or right section and twist it and cross over.
8. Keep repeating the process.
9. It might be a good idea to bring the braid over your shoulder after a few times for easier access.
10. If it turns out loose like mine undo the braid with it in front of your shoulder. Unravel it a bit and just re-twist each section tighter and re-rope it.
11. Finish with another band as shown. The first picture is a scrunchie, the second is just a covered elastic.

My rope isn't perfect but you can only have your first once and I'm glad I didn't give up.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2005 at 12:54pm
Wow Robert, well done! I just tried this and it did not work out at all... did not look like a rope braid (but it did make for a smoother 3-strand, so I do like that effect). I'll have to try this again (and again) until I can roll my own (3-strand braid!).
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2005 at 2:37pm
I can make a two or three strand rope braid that looks great, but almost immediately my straight-silky-slippery hair starts to work its way out, and a couple of hours later it's hard to see what it was supposed to be. [pout]

Your hair is a bit wavy, probably it'll work better for you.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2005 at 6:00pm
Well I did go to bed with it like that so it came loose a bit but for the most part it held. I'm sure with practise or with using damp hair I could get it a bit better.

I saw on the Loom that Fox did one using just two strands.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2005 at 2:00pm
That's pretty darn good Purplebubba! I do them sometimes over my forehead and down the side, or wear all my hair to the side in a low one, but getting a rope braid down the middle of your back is pretty hard to do!
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2005 at 4:17pm
Thanks Susan.

It's amazing you say that cuz each time I try these things I think about how it's supposed to be harder for me. That's only because I didn't grow up doing things with my hair like some girls do so I'm such a rookie when it comes to doing anything.

So my point is, it seemed hard to me doing it, but I figured it was cuz it's supposed to be hard for me. I didn't know it was that hard for others but thanks for letting me know. Just makes me that much more proud of my first results. I'm glad I decided to take that true picture before fixing it. Never have liked cheating. ;)

My brothers could never play a game with each other without accusing the other. But me I could play a game all by myself and be more than one player. Then again, it's not too hard when you know that one way or another I get to win.

Ok enough of that.
Good luck everyone else with your braids and such. I hope you all have fun trying them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2005 at 12:07am
By the way I really like your website Susan and you're making good progress.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2005 at 7:20am
Thanks PurpleBubba! Yeah, there are plenty of styles that are still hard for me to do, but I keep practicing and my hands learn to do it without my brain participating (like playing a musical instrument), then it becomes easy.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 8:25pm
I saw a young lady in Publix tonight with a rope braid about 2" in diameter. I noticed it when she turned around to pack my groceries and it swung. She told me she had been growing it all of her life. Since it was thigh length, I can only assume that she got the rope braid technique down early. :P
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 11:35pm
A little late, but I'm just popping in to say... what a lurvely rope braid! I've never gotten one to stay. EVER. Haven't figured out why either.

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Supersugar Supersugar wrote:

I saw a young lady in Publix tonight with a rope braid about 2" in diameter. I noticed it when she turned around to pack my groceries and it swung. She told me she had been growing it all of her life. Since it was thigh length, I can only assume that she got the rope braid technique down early. :P

Woah! That sounds like a truly impressive braid!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic