Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair-do's for bedtime...?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GoldieLocks92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair-do's for bedtime...?
    Posted: January 25 2005 at 6:20pm
I have been putting my hair up at night to prevent snagging in my sleep. Is this effective? I also occasionally tie a bandana around my head to lock in heat...is this effective?
Any more tips?

Thanx, A.
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2005 at 7:25pm
My Sleep Tail

On March 26th I started wearing my hair to bed this way. This was right after I trimmed my own hair using Feye's Slight U. Before this I wore my hair loose for almost 28 years, although my hair has only been long for about 9.

I use my covered elastics. I put one on at the nape and then carefully slide it down to the bottom position about 2/3 of the way down. Then I put another at the nape and slide it down to the top position 1/3 of the way down. I have not had any tangles from sleeping since I started doing this.

Here is a picture of my

"Sleep Tail 4/09/04"

Oh and if you're wondering about Feye's
Feye's Self Trimming
http://members.fortunecity.com/feye/trim/index.html

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2005 at 10:33pm
lol, I don't think my hair is quite long enough for that yet!
What about covering my head at night? Is this effective for locking in heat (using a bandana)?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2005 at 11:18pm
It probably would.

The main thing is, wearing your hair in a way that is comfortable for you and causes a tolerable amount to no tangles. Meaning if it does tangle, it's not so many that you'll be discouraged.

I know there are other things like braids or buns that people do. I haven't tried them myself. Except for the rope braid the other day that I did sleep with.

If you like the bandana I don't see a reason to not use it.
Nekita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nekita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 6:35am
I thought I read that keeping it down and maybe over the pillow is best. Isn't any kind of tying up restrictive and could lead to weak hair and spits where the binding is?

Ever since I found this board (2 months ago), I've been wearing it down after wearing a pony tail the other ~29 years of my life. Would it be better to go back to the pony tail?

-Nekita
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 7:12am
Goldilocks,
I don't think locking in heat matters at all. (Heat in general is bad for your hair, but the heat you get inside a bandana from your own head, of course, would not be hot enough to be bad.) Using a bandana can be good though because your keeping the hair trapped so it can't tangle and get rubbed around on your pillow. If you get a satin pillowcase, it has the same effect.

Nekita,
Some people's hair doesn't work well in braids at night, particularly those with fine or easy to damage hair. If you did it your whole life and didn't see any damage, then yours is probably fine. (I did well in braids when mine was longer, I had no tangles in the morning). It's a personal choice, depending on what works for your own hair. One important thing is using hair safe elastics to hold it. The kind in PurpleBubba's picture are good because they are thick so they don't bend hairs.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
deltagirl12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltagirl12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 11:13am
Hi Hi:

I have just let my hair fall naturaly when I sleep. I really have never done anything special. Guess I have been luckey.

Susan
Susan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 12:18pm
Thanks Susan,

I have found that if i sleep with my hair loose it tangles bad.
I do have some satin cases ordered right now from LisaJaney over at Long Hair Community.com

The thing with my sleep tail is, the bands are slid down to their positions instead of putting them at the same spot every night. Also, I use my older bands that have worn a bit so that they aren't quite as stiff as a brand new one would be. It's just enough to stay on without squashing the hair. I think if i were to keep a band at my nape every night I would have problems but sliding them down is different. Plus as my hair has gotten longer it means the bands get put in other locations than they were a year ago. My current version has the bands a bit further down than that picture shows.

I think the one that people have said was really damaging was a high tail but I can't say whether it is or isn't because I've never worn any tails higher than the nape. I'm just not good at combing my hair like that yet to get it there.

Keep in mind that there is no "right" or "wrong"
It only matters what works for an individual.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2005 at 5:25pm
I''ve been wearing my hair up high, although I dont see why its bad because its never tight or binding. What do you guys think?
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2005 at 10:36pm
I've never had nighttime tangling problems so long as I brush or comb it out before I go to bed. The important thing is preventing tangles. If you don't get tangles sleeping on your hair loose, then there's no reason to change.

When my hair reached waist-length, it started to wrap itself around my neck, which was awkward and made it difficult to get up without getting caught in it. I tried to put it up or put it into two braids, but soon I found that hanging it over the pillow worked better.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
aznmitsugrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aznmitsugrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2005 at 10:32am
this may not relate to your particular hair situation, but i braid mine wet. i usually wash my hair at night, and if i want to get the "wet," scrunched hair look, then i braid it. after i towel-dry my hair, i put some extra-hold herbal essences mousse in it, comb it (wide-toothed comb) straight down while i'm bent over (my head is upside down), then i make a loose braid straight down from the forehead hairline. i stand up straight, and flip the braid so it lays flat on the top of my head. in the morning, i unbraid, shake, and comb through my hair with my fingers. after spraying a little water on it, i've got almost the same scrunched look as the straight out of the shower scrunch.
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2005 at 2:13pm
I think, if you don´t get tangles, don´t worry about it. Personally, I wear a night cap or a braid down one side, and always use a satin pillowcase. But then, I throw myself around a lot when I sleep. Whatever works!

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2005 at 7:45pm
Thanks everyone! aznmitgirl, I like your idea, and I'll try it, I just think my hair needs to get a little bit longer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2005 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by PurpleBubba PurpleBubba wrote:

I have found that if i sleep with my hair loose it tangles bad.
I do have some satin cases ordered right now from LisaJaney over at Long Hair Community.com

I got my cases yesterday.
Before going to bed I detangled.
I slept with my hair loose.
Got up, ran my fingers through my hair.
Didn't find any tangles. Or at least nothing to worry about.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic