Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Snipping Split Ends

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nekita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nekita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snipping Split Ends
    Posted: January 26 2005 at 9:30pm
Hi,

How often do you snip the split ends and how long does it take?

I have professional scissors and I think I spent an hour last night. I noticed that where my hair dryer gets closest to my hair, the damage is sooooo bad.

-Nekita
Cornsilk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cornsilk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 9:52pm
Hi Nekita,

I used to trim my own split ends every few months or so, maybe 3 months on average. Like you, I used professional scissors, and I tried to do it while wearing a black t-shirt (so my blonde split ends would show up better), under a bright lamp (the more watts the better). I would do it while watching tv, and it probably took an hour for me, too, although I wasn't trimming every minute. Now my boyfriend, a barber, trims it for me! Also about every 3 months.

Sorry your hair looks bad where the dryer is closest. Do you mean the ends? Any way you can use the dryer less or not at all?

Good luck!
Yesterday's history.
Tomorrow's a mystery.
Today is a beautiful day.
GoldieLocks92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 9:54pm
Probobly every two or three months months, especially if you are using a hair dryer.

Trim off ALL of your damaged hair to prevent further breakage. A moisturizing shampoo/conditionar might do you good
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 10:03pm
I do mine sporadically.

I do have my article that I wrote a few years back and some blank charts to keep track
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/bbubba/LHC/Trim.html

But I don't follow the article.

One thing that helps is to use your computer monitor and use a white background such as a blank text file.

I do all kinds of methods.

I wrote this in a reply on another site earlier today,

1. Take small sections of hair and twist them until the ends stick up or pop out. You might be able to see splits this way if there are some.

2. Put hair into several smaller braids. You might see some of these ends sticking up out of the briad. If there are some.

3. Do only one section at a time. Perhaps one section per week. You can stretch it out over the course of the week. You could try this while watching your favorite show or do a little bit at a certain time everyday. Clip up or seperate the hair you aren't doing. Then take maybe 5 minutes and just look through a small section and see if you see splits. If you do, then snip them off. Remember to use good scissors meant for hair and that have only been used on hair. Otherwise snipping splits off won't do anything because you'll just be tearing them off instead of snipping.

If you follow my Articles link in my signature
(also here in case this post isn't showing it http://angelfire.com/mi/bbubba/LHC/Articles.html)
you can find not only my full article about this but also some printable, downloadable charts. They're just image files kinda like a blank calendar.
Nekita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nekita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 10:08pm
I use a straightening dryer on the very front of my hair, so the heat is right on it. The ends were a mess when I cut them yesterday. I think I'm obsessing. I look at the ends almost every day. The rest of my hair is pretty good.

I'm using Phytojoba Shampoo and Aveda Sap Moss Conditioner. I also use Aveda Detoxify to remove buildup and Aveda Sap Moss Nourishing Concentrate. And the only styling product is a small amount of gel.

-Nekita
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic