Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

very short hair a problem??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
darthmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darthmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: very short hair a problem??
    Posted: January 18 2005 at 1:38pm
Hi everyone! Great forum, i have been looking for info on extensions and a stylist and was stressing, since I haven't found much. This should be a big help. I am going to link to some pics of my current do, I just got it done, and am really unhappy with it. I am considering extensions, but before I ask around at local stylists, I need to know what type of hair, and what methods are best for me. And (while I realize it varies) can anyone give me an estimate for what I want? I am just hoping it is not more than 500 and wondering if this sounds reasonable, or should I keep dreamin??!!

So first question, is my hair too short? I don't know anything about extensions yet, and assumed from friends of mine that had them, that long hair blended better, but with short you would see the spot it is glued/braided/whatever..

also, if anyone has a link to perhaps the different types of extensions so i can learn the difference, and the "best" the pros and cons of each, etc, I would really appreciate it.

I want long, straight, simple. nothing special, my hair is thick, and prefer a thick do....more carmen electra, less nicole ritchie...

can they do the bangs too? because i would prefer it all be done, and not have bangs, but I would understand if that is sketchy, since you would be doing it right there on the visible hair line...

and one more thing :) advice on anywhere in florida. I am in melbourne, but since there isn't squat here, would assume I would have to drive to orlando, or ft lauderdale for quality, and am certainly willing to do that. I also go to atlanta quite a bit, and know of a place up there I went to years ago (possibly 10) called superhair13 (IIRC) am willing to go up there too, if anyone knows these people are exceptionally good.

Any help would be great, thanks in advance :)

oh darn, i have to host my pics to post them dont I?? ok instead of posting them, just gonna let you know, that it is damn short. top of head around 2-3 inches, shortest hair one inch.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 1:55pm
Well, you can add extensions to hair that's 2 to 3 inches long (1 inch would be extremely hard, though), but shorter hair presents some challenges in terms of visibility. Sometimes women with shorter hair get a method called open-ended braids, wherein loose hair actually extends from a tiny braid at the scalp, but that braid is completely visible. I like the look personally, but it's not the most natural. Sometimes it's better to go that route, though, if your hair isn't long enough to conceal extensions.

Anyway, if you post your pics I'm sure we can come up with some recommendations. In the meantime, I would suggest reading these threads, which provide an overview of the various methods: http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP934431446&id=2633
http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP934431446&id=2549

As far as cost, it depends what you want, but if you shop around, you should be able to get extensions for around $500.

With the open-ended braiding technique, you could do your bangs, but I wouldn't recommend it with most other methods.

:)
darthmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darthmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 1:59pm
Thanks for the quick reply jenny...do you mind if I email my pic to you? So you can see it?

That open ended braid sounds cool, I think I would like that look, if it is what I am thinking. My original intention was a classy long hair do. simple. kindda what I like to call the stripper/playboy pin up hair. (again, think carmen electra) But I dont mind a funkier look, and in fact, would probably really like it (if what you described is what I am thinking of, with that open end braid) Do you have any pics of that type? *runs off to google*

edit: my hair is longer at top and only an inch around the nape, so maybe it is possible, if, like you say 2 or 3 inches isnt' a problem.

again, would be happy to emial my pic to you so you can see it. the pictures I have here are about a month or so old, so it is a tiny bit longer now, and probaly would not do this for a month or so anyway, so have time to grow a bit. If only growin an inch or so is necessary, that is fine.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 2:19pm
I just BMed you my email address, and I'd be happy to take a look. By the way, you wouldn't add extensions (any method of them) to the nape anyway--they're all attached about 1/2 inch in from the hair lines (except possibly open-ended, which allow you to go closer to the hair lines, although you still wouldn't want to do the nape). As such, the length of your hair at the nape won't make much of a difference.

Some examples of open-ended braids include:
Not the first pic in this thread, but the magenta-and-blonde pic farther down by PhoenixFox: http://p080.ezboard.com/fhair18356frm6.showMessage?topicID=1041.topic
http://p080.ezboard.com/fhair18356frm8.showMessage?topicID=3656.topic
http://www.boogiemama.com/album/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=69

These are all pretty funky colors done with synthetic hair, but you can use any natural colors you want and human hair if that's your preference. The advantage of the open-ended approach is that you're not trying to conceal the extensions--the braids are fully visible--which allows you to braid all the way up on your head, even possibly the bangs.

With other forms of extensions, the whole idea is that you leave the top hair around the part and the crown free so it will cover up the extensions. If that hair is very short, you won't have adequate coverage and could end up with a mullet (which is cool, if that's what you want, but can present some challenges otherwise).

Good luck! :)
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 2:52pm
OK, I just checked out your photos, and if they were taken a month ago and you won't be getting them for another month and your hair grows quickly, you may be able to to get any kind of extensions. It may not be the ideal blending at first because of the shorter pieces on top, but you can make it look good with some strategic cutting and/or styling. Your hair also looks like it's in good condition, which helps.

The short hair on the bottom half of your head is kind of immaterial, as long as it's long enough for the attachments. As you apply extensions up the head, one layer sort of camoflagues the next, so it's only the crown hair and the hair on either side of your part that you need to worry about, really.

I would suggest looking at various before and after galleries for people whose real hair looks like yours. Kristin has had a few clients with pretty short hair and she's been able to give them a nice, long look, so it's definitely possible. You can check out her work at http://www.haircandy.net/

And here are some additional galleries:
BoogieMama: http://www.boogiemama.com/album/index.php
Hairpolice: http://dreadperm.com/gallery/index.php?cat=0
Mark Glenn: http://www.markglenn.com/gallery.htm
AngelEmma: http://www.angelemma.com/photos/
Snarl Hair: http://snarlhair.com/

Once you've found some pictures you like, you just need to decide on the method you think is best for you and find a stylist who can do it.

metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 3:38pm
For hair that is so short and thick, I would recommend a wefted method. I haven't seen the picture, but a 'full cap' weave would work. With that method, your entire head is cornrowed and the wefts are sewn to them, and none of your natural hair is showing. Many African American woman get this done and that way, they can have the length and texture they want and not put chemicals on their natural hair.

I think that is the only way to get coverage of all the layers. I have tried doing strand extensions on women with short, thick hair, and it definately ends up looking like a mullet, and you could see the client's short hair poking through the extensions.

If you do the weave method, than you probably could get the job done for $500 or less. If you want a strand method, it may be more expensive.

Good luck!
MERGUTHRIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MERGUTHRIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 3:42pm
My advise is to make sure you find a stylist who can assure you a good job, my hair was very short when i got my first extensions and i looked like i had a mullet. i never took pics with the extensions bc i was so mortified (crying all the time) but here's what my hair looked like b4 so you know how short it was... http://www.textamerica.com/user.images.x/44/IMG_352644/Thumb/T40402181126400.jpg
http://www.textamerica.com/user.images.x/44/IMG_352644/Thumb/T40402091501020.jpg

these pictures were taken purely to email to the extensionist so she could see the length on my hair. i wonder if she had cut it/blended better it may have come out different of if she had said no and told me to wait a month or to it would have been better..... the color was also a problem, (it was 18/22 which is a highlighted look) she colored my hair to match but it never wuite matched right.

since then, i have always bought my hair on my own and had the hair dyed to match and it has been seamless
i love plastikhaar
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 3:47pm
That's interesting, Metalgirl. Does the method work on fine, thin hair, too? What if you have a middle part--how is the hair on either side of the part concealed? Do you braid synthetic hair into the cornrows to make them a bit more substantial?

Thanks for the info. :)
MERGUTHRIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MERGUTHRIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 3:55pm
She could go to an african braiding salon and have a weave done for around $120. I would have them braid synthetic hair into the cornrows so it doesn't slip out. It will probably last a month. It would look like this at the part...
http://www.braidsbybreslin.com/weaves.html

this kinda shows it

looking for better pics

edit here is one http://www.hairweave.us/top-of-head-after-hair-weav.jpg
i love plastikhaar
darthmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darthmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2005 at 11:08am
Bumping since I don't understand how you blend in short hair on top.
I have been looking at pics (kristen, this is mainly directed at you, since you had a few short hair examples in your site) and I don't know how it looks long, from the part, without seeing the link/glue/whatever method it is used.

Do you understand what I am asking?

The funny thing is, when I asked the question intitally about short hair, i was only thinking length needed to do the extension, but now I know what you meant by the "mullet" loook. I didn't comprehend it when you mentioned it at first, until I thought about doing it in my head.

So how do you blend it at the part? How long is my hair going to have to be on top to absolutely not have a layered, or mullet look? To blend well, into the extensions? And also importantly, the sides, right above the ear.

Does the existing hair just tend to blend in to the extension, and the short length dissapear in it?

My hair isn't straight unless I take a flat iron to it. With it being short, it will curl right out, (I had intended to go with straight extensions) If i go with a pretty wave like amms', will that hide it better?

Sorry if I am not making any sense. Just trying to get a few things down before I decide on which method and type of hair to play with, so I don't spend too much on something I can't use.

Thanks in advance. This site really is awesome. I was not keen on spending tons of money, and every darn salon I call is Great lengths, here in florida, and I did NOT want that. I am a DIYer with everything in my home, and love the idea of doing my hair too. My hubby is more crafty than I, so he will be learning too

I would never get the back on my own as a newbie!!

edit: remembered jenny's braid idea, that is a good one. So did you mean, then, jenny, to just do those at the part, but use a "regular" method on the rest of the hair, that isn't as visible?
darthmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darthmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2005 at 11:22am
I am also still considering the weaving method, since it does sound best for my hair while it is short.

But with that one, does the cornrow/track does it run along your hairline? I mean, if the tracks are just put on horizontally all the way down, wouldn't it be very obvious, and you would see a large gap between each row?

sorry if these questions seem silly. New to this, just trying to get it all figured out as much as possible so I go the right route. We don't have money to throw away!!
MoNiCaxOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoNiCaxOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2005 at 11:27am
Sorry I can't answer any of your questions...I don't do hair...

But I just wanted to say that both methods, the braiding kind and the full-weave kind look really cool! You should just go with the cheaper of the two because they both look really good!!
This is because I can spell konfusion with a K
It's hard to like it
It's to dying in anothers arms
And why i had to try it...
- Something Corporate "Konstantine"
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2005 at 12:25pm
Hey Shaman,

You'll probably get some different answers on this one, because some of it's a matter of preference/taste, but I'll try to explain it as best I can...

With a traditional strand-by-strand method (links, locs, rings, fusion, shrinkies, pinchbraids, and the like)--and even traditional wefts that aren't full weaves--you wouldn't do the extensions right up to the part--you'd do them at least an inch down from either side of the part (and probably more); you wouldn't want to go any closer to the part than that. The links, rings, whatever are sort of "buried" underneath the top hair (at the roots), so if you have long hair on top to cover them, they should be concealed effectively (more so if your hair is thick, or whatever, but that's the basic jist).

OK, now if you have short hair, those links, locs, whatever will still be concealed theoretically, but the hair on top (an inch or so from either side of the part) will be much shorter than the extension hair (hence the "mullet effect"), unless you do a lot of layering (and it would require quite a lot).

Now, it's easier to sort of blend those different lengths on straight, fine hair, actually, imo (although you run a greater risk of the locs or links actually showing). Kristin would have to tell you for sure, but my guess is that some girls on her site who have have relatively short hair are able to blend that hair with the extensions because it's the same straight texture and color. It may not ideal (as having long hair would be), but it can be done.

With my own hair, for example, there are sections on top that are rather short (about 3 or 4 inches long) and others that are longer (don't ask why), but since it's all very straight and thin, I'm able to sort of hair-spray the hair down and blend it relatively well. Again, it is not ideal, but it works OK--nobody would think I have a mullet because the hair is all straight and limp and just sort of falls in line with the rest.

Imo, thick or wavy hair presents more challenges in terms of that kind of blending (although there are great advantages to thickness in other ways). The problem isn't that the links themselves will necessarily show; it's that there will be a noticeable difference between where you hair ends and the extensions begin. Of course, if there's a heavy wind, or your hair moves out of place a bit, there will be a greater risk that you can see the locs, links, whatever, too.

So--and this is only as far as I know--there are two methods that would enable you to sidestep these issues altogether: a full weave, and open-ended braids. I know nothing at all about full weaves, so I'll leave it to others, like Metalgirl, to advise you on that one. All I will say is that sometimes Causcasian hair needs to be "reinforced" when it's cornrowed, which can be done by adding synthetic hair to the braids (a few people have said this works well). The open-ended braiding techinique, which I described before, has the advtange of enabling you to add hair to every section of it (including the part, bangs, whateve); the disadvatage is that it's more of a funky (less natural) look.

Per your question about seeing gaps between the rows, I think each layer (weft) would conceal the next, so you really wouldn't have that problem, although I'm still not clear on how the part is done (I'm sure there's a logical explanation for this; I just don't know the method).

As far as doing the open-ended just at the part, I'm sure you could probably do that, and perhaps use extendtubes or shrinks for the rest (if you want to DIY).

As far as the texture, if your hair is naturally wavy (and unless you're going to conceal all your hair via a full weave or braids), the best route would be to use wavy hair; AMM's is gorgeous and would be the gold standard for human hair, imo (she has lots of posts on the products she uses and her styling routine, if you want to search). Combining straight extensions with naturall wavy or curly hair can be quite problematic--unless you're willng to painstakingly flatiron your real hair every day; even so, you may not achieve optimal results. It's far easier to to the reverse: combine straight hair with wavy extensions (which is, by the way, what AMM has done).

Sorry if this is confusing. Extensions can be a hard concept to digest, until you've actually had them on your head. And the situation you're describing--blending short hair with long extensions--is a bit more complex still.

Perhaps others can chime in here to clarify.

darthmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darthmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2005 at 1:13pm
No not at all confusing. You have been a huge help, jenny.

I *think* I really am "getting" it quite well, and it will just be easier once I get a head to practice on and the hari and equipment.

You know, I really am surprised most so called "extension artists" don't do more than one method. I am a perfect example of how more than one is (most likely) necessary for a wonderful job. And I do not want a layered look, and not quite the mullet fan either, so, I do believe I will be mixing my techniques.

The reason I want to not have a weave all over is that I am in florida, and it gets so hot and humid. And I would prefer to not have that heaviness all over, so hope the weave at the parts, and strand by strand everywhere else would just be more comfortable.

again, you rawk girl...

thanks. keep the opinions coming!!
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2005 at 4:43pm
when you sew in wefts to cover the entire head so your natural hair doesnt show, they braid it in a kind of big spiral pattern, so you dont get "big gaps"
Raindorf View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raindorf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 11:28am
Will extentions damage future hair growth?
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 3:45pm
only if not done right
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 5:14pm
Of course, Kalika, don't you have pretty short hair? And your Shrinkies look awesome--not mullet-y at all. Just curious as to why you think yours came out so well, but others with short hair often have a problem? Is it because you went so high up on your head? :)
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 3:38am
yup. I also dont have a freak out if a couple shrinkies show though. personal preferance.

BTW - the shortest hairs on my head are an inch and a half, and i Was able to shrinkie them no problem.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 5:57am
Yeah, sometimes I really think it makes more sense to just go really high and say**** it. The hair lays better that way, and although the end result isn't as "natural," it can look more obvious in a way if you're maniacally trying to hide each and every bond. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic