Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Black to Mid-Brown or Light-Brown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Colorlife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colorlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black to Mid-Brown or Light-Brown
    Posted: June 28 2005 at 7:38pm

Hello everybody,

2 months ago I decided to change my hair color from Black to mid-brown and bought a coloration packet from schwarzkopf (polycolor) mid-brown. After coloring, my haircolor did not really change and got a little lighter but still very dark and almost black! Somebody told me if you want to go from balck to mid-brown you should use light-brown.So after 3 weeks I bought again polycolor but this time light-brown. After coloring, my hairs bacame more darker this time! It is almost black now.

Fortunately my hairs are short and I am waiting to cut my colored hairs. Does anybody know why it happend to my hairs and how I can go from Black to mid-brown? I heard Lo'real superior preference works. Is it true? Or should I use another color? I really appreciate any help!

My second question is regarding my eyebrows! I also did this mistake and while coloring my hair I also colored my eyebrows with mid-brown. The color did not changed at all! The problem is that eyebrow is not like normal hairs to grow and be cutted. So how can I color them now while they have been once colored?

Thank you very much for you help!

Colorlife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colorlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 7:44pm

I forgot to say My natural hair color is also black..

leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 10:17pm
Coloring over color is likely what made your hair turn black again.  If you're going to cut off the colored hair before trying to color again, then you should be able to use a medium to light brown dye with 30 volume developer for extra lift.

If you think you'll be coloring over the previously-colored hair, then you need to use a color stripper (like colorfix) to remove the old dye first.
Colorlife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colorlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 2:25am

Thank you very much for your reply.

But would you tell me which coloring package should I buy? There is no information regarding the volume developer on normal coloring packages like Loreal or schwarzkopf.

I would be thankful if you could give me more information.

Thank you for your help..

Bryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 6:23am
to be able to get a certain volume developer you would have to go to a beauty supply store like sally beauty. they sell hair color (either in cream or gel formula) and then they sell the developer. developers come in 10volumr (which is usually used to go darker) 20 volume (to change maybe one or two levels) 30 volume (for changes of more than 2 levels, but not blonde, i.e. the change you are trying to make) and 40 volume (usually used to change from darker colors like brown to a lighter blond color) this is why you should use 30 volume developer. after your hair grows out, go to the beauty supply store and get the color, the developer, and an applicator bottle to mix the ingredients in. follow the directions on the bottle of dye, and mix it up. if you have any questions, the people at the beauty supply store should prove to be very helpful.
learn to love what you were born with
you can do anything if you set your mindto it (just dont try this with hair,that could turn out bad)
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 7:02am
About the eyebrows, I'd just leave them.  I have dyed my eyebrows in the past and I found that it lasts no more than 3 weeks...either because of using soap when you wash your face, or because the eyebrows have a pretty quick replacement rate - (I don't know which, but they should be back to normal in about 2-3 weeks).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Colorlife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colorlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 11:02am

Thank you very much for your helps.

I will try to find them.

leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 8:43pm
Sorry, I didn't realize Schwarzkopf was a box dye.  Most box dyes are 20 volume developer...not strong enough for what you wanted.  Definitely visit your local beauty supply store.
Colorlife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colorlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2005 at 1:07am

So should I bye the developer and the dye separately?

My question is how to mix them? How much developer should be mixed with how much dye? I am going first to make a test on part of my hair. So I need an scaling to tell me what amount of each substance should be mixed to gether.

Which colors do you suggest from going black (my natrual hair) to middle brown. Should I bye middle brown or light brown? Should I also add other colors like blue or green to prenvent orange or red?If so what amount of each should be added to make the desired color.

Could anybody help me? I really need your help.

Thank you again! 

leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2005 at 11:26am
Try to get a dye with instructions.  Most permanent colors are 1:1 (one part color to one part developer), but Wella, for instance, is 1:2 (twice as much developer).

I can't tell you exactly what to use, since I can't see exactly what your current hair color is, but a level 4 or 5 ash dye with 30 volume developer would probably do it.  (Ash colors counteract the red or orange tones produced by lightening dark hair.)  Look for a color that says it has a base of green or blue.  This should leave you with a neutral medium brown, but do a strand test to be sure.
Colorlife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colorlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2005 at 11:23am

I bought today hell braun (Nature) (Koleston Perfect from Wella) the number is 5/00.

I also bought a Oxidations-Creme 9% (30 Volume) (Welloxon Perfect from Wella)

I mixed them up once 1:1 and another time 1:2(twice as much developer) and made two string test on part of my hair.

The color did not changed much and just went from Black to very dark brown or dark brown so only one level

Actually I wanted to get a hell brown but the result is exactly the same as I had tried with polycolor dye box before! fortuenately I only tried a string test this time but the Wella color was rather expensive

Now I don't know what to do. Actually in the store she told me I should also buy a blonding creme and mix it with Oxidation creme 9% and then wash the hair and again mix the hell braun color this time with a Oxidation creme 6% to color it and also cover the gray hair.

Is this blonding creme the same as bleeching?

Do you think if I can do it? or is it a profi job? Please give some hint. Thank you again.

Colorlife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colorlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 7:13am

Oops I made a mistake while typing..

Hell brown is wrong.. I meant light brown

Veronica F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 3:45pm

U would have remove some of the existing pigment in ur hair in order for it to lift properly w/ the 30 vol.

I suggest getting the Blondor and mixing the bleach w/ shampoo equal parts and leaving it in ur hair for maybe 15-30 minutes, it is still technically using bleach but a less harsh alternative, it is known as soap capping or a bleach bath.

Then if u see ur hair slightly orange or whatever u can use the 5/0 koleston color w/ the 30 vol. (9%)

But strand test w/ both first.

Colorlife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colorlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 7:51pm

sorry I didnt get you.

You said "getting the blondor and mixing the bleach" ? Is this bleach different from blondor? should I also buy it separately?

Did you mean that, I should mix Blondor and Oxidant 30 vol and add shampoo to it and use it on my hairs (so a mixture of Bolonder,Oxidant and shampoo). am I right? But instructions for wella blondor powder say only blondor and oxidants. I am comfused now

Would you also explain what is bleaching and why is it harsher?

Thanks again..

Bryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 8:33pm
the "blonder" that you mentioned is a bleach. what veronica is suggesting is using shampoo instead of the developer, or "oxidant" as you call it. if the directions on the "blonder" say to mix it a certain way, with a certain ammount of "oxidant" mixx it the same way, just use shampoo instead of the "oxidant". this is a less harsh way of lightening the hair. if you were to use the "oxidant" with your "blonder" it would more than likely dry out the hair. if you use the shampoo, it will probably still make the hair feel a little dryer, but much less than the "oxidant" would.
learn to love what you were born with
you can do anything if you set your mindto it (just dont try this with hair,that could turn out bad)
Colorlife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colorlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2005 at 3:53am

Ok thanks. I understood what you mean.

Wella Blonder + Head&Shoulder shampoo (equal parts)

Must the Blonder be a creme or powder in this case?

my another question is that after using bleech and washing and again using color+developer to color the hair is it enough to use a normal shampoo like H&S to clean all these chemical substances. For example in dye boxes they usually provide with some special shampoos.

Thank you again..

Veronica F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2005 at 9:01am

It's better to use a color preserving shampoo after coloring then H&S as it tends to strip the color. But w/ the blondor it would be fine, i don't think it will make much difference whether u use a creme or powder version of blondor, creme might be easier to work w/...

Colorlife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colorlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 5:36pm

Today I made several strand tests using the Blondor powder.

Actually where I bought the powder she told me I have to mix one spoon of the Blondor powder with one spoon of developer(6%) and one spoon of shampoo and 100ml water and I should use it on my hair and wash it immidiately!! I asked if I should wait a little she said no! Acutually I made a strand test and it was really nonsense what she said. no effect!!!

second strand test I mixed one spoon of powder and developer and shampoo together and it got lighter.

third strand test I mixed one spoon of powder with one and a half spoon of developer only ( this time without shampoo) it got really lighter. I mean from level 1 to 6! a little bit orange but not that much I had thought. Actually in this test I let the mixture for 17 min on my hairs. I thought maybe with 12 min I get my desired color I mean light brown (level 5) without coloring it.

what I understood is that the more time I wait it get more lighter but at the same time somehow orange but not much.Do you think if it is possible to go from black to light brown in only one step by bleeching (12 min) ?

What is the best way to do so? I also colored my third strand test with light brown and the color got better but still a little red brown but not much.

I am going to make another strand test tommorrow. one spoon powder and one and a half developer 12 min. Do you think if this is a good way?

Colorlife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colorlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 5:43pm

oops by the way the blondor powder name is:

Platin-Blond (blue-dust free) from coiffeur meister

and actually powder with shampoo alone seems not to work because with that developer as I said it got  lighter only 2 or 3 levels, so without developer I dont think it works.

leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2005 at 1:08am
You need the developer for the bleach to do anything.  It is possible to just bleach your hair.  It will come out a little more red or orange than you want.  You could bleach and tone, meaning that after you've washed the bleach out of your hair and shampooed to make sure there is no bleach remaining, you would apply an ash (blue-toned) dye.  The blue will neutralize the orange tone.  My recommendation is to use a semi-permanent color because it will be more gentle than permanent.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic