Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to create Thin Ends? PIX added

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Koffee Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koffee Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to create Thin Ends? PIX added
    Posted: July 06 2005 at 8:23pm
Anybody got any suggestions for how to cut extensions so the ends are very very thin like single drawn hair (the hair that's thin at ends). I'm trying to get my RK double drawn superwavy hair to have thin ends ;  they are TOO full for me.

Edited by Koffee Brown
K-B
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2005 at 9:53pm

Hey Koffee: Use either a Feather Razor or thinning shears. You can taper and blend those ends just how you want em!

*If you've never used a razor before(especially with a fresh blade) practice on some "bunk" hair till you get the "feel"...and that's exactly how I describe it. You *feel* when it's right!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koffee Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2005 at 10:04pm

I have one of these. Sounds like what I should be using right? 

When I've used it in the past, I've can look at hair and tell whre I cut/thinned. You can see too much 'bluntness' on the ends. Guess I ain't got the feel for it yet. I'll practice

Edited by Koffee Brown
K-B
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2005 at 10:10pm

yes it is! Just do what Gina says and practice using that razor on scrap hair before using on your extensions! And remember this when using a fresh blade.... one time after just replacing a blade and not even realizing how dull my blade was....with the first swipe of the new blade I took out one BIG CHUNK right in the front layers around my face.....GRRRR!! So I had to spend an hour removing and replacing the extensions that I hacked off!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koffee Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2005 at 11:26pm
Sherrie, so u're saying take it easy w/ a fresh blade. Ok, gotcha
K-B
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 5:24am
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 8:35am

Ok Koffee...if you still feel like the ends look blunt with a razor, here's what I do. Take the tip the razor and go "In" to the strands, pulling/feathering down.(Like you're making brushstrokes with a paintbrush)

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 9:01am
Hey Gina.  Do you do that with or without a guard?
The razor still makes me nervous.  I always have to go super slow for fear I'll take out way too much or take off my finger...
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 9:51am
I would say the razor has a guard!  If you're hesitant about the razor, use thinning shears and point cut (cut straight into hair thru the ends). This will def. thin out your ends.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koffee Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 12:17pm
oh wow! lots of great tips. I like the idea of cutting into the strands, but I best use shears and not a razor. I'm not that steadyhanded, and i'd for sure cut myself. I have some EP hair that has the thin thin ends (that I know some don't like, but I do), and i want to get the RK hair like that.
PIX BELOW

RK ends

EP ends

EDIT: to resize pix, to avoid scrolling

Edited by Koffee Brown
K-B
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 12:30pm
imo, the RK hair looks better than the EP!  How do they differ in price, Koffee? 
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 12:35pm
EP is way more expensive isn't it?

I've definitely gone the thinning shears point cutting route before.  You need to change your bunches of hair and move the hair aroud a lot but it does work.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koffee Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 12:49pm
i'm gonna try that mocha (moving hair around and taking my time, working slow)
K-B

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koffee Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Bridget Bridget wrote:

imo, the RK hair looks better than the EP!  How do they differ in price, Koffee? 

I know, most do like the full ends. I'm odd.
The EP hair is more expensive than RK
K-B
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 1:43pm
Yeah I thought is was more expensive.  When is your install w/the RK? We'll have to see how well it'll hold up!
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 11:39pm

Mocha...OMG girl! They have guards(you'd loose a finger otherwise)

Honestly, Koffee...those ends from EP look razored to the max!

Either tool...you can get those ends to taper. Like mocha said... don't keep thining in the same spot. You can get lines that way, too. You can also slide cut with the thinners, too.(Like the same motion you'd use with a razor)

Practice and patience! If in doubt...don't cut it, just leave it , come back to it later!

amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2005 at 3:02am
The RK ends look WAY better than the EP ends.

Stunning!

I made clip-ins with the double drawn and I had the
same issue to tackle.

I fanned the hair out and made a big U-shaped cut. Then,
I held the hair and scooched my sharp scissors at about
the half-way length and ran it all the way through to
the bottom. No blunt cuts and it thinned the hair
all the way down.

Edited by amm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koffee Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2005 at 10:58am
Originally posted by amm amm wrote:

The RK ends look WAY better than the EP ends.

Stunning!

AMM. I know! I know. And I don't want to make the RK hair AS thin as EP's ends, but I knew the pix of EP and RK together would give  an idea of what look I was going for. I'd like to thin the RK ends out some tho. I agree, EP's ends are razored to max already. I would trim about an inch of the EP ends before wearing it to get rid of some of the stringyness, but i really like how hair looks once installed w/ the thin "wispy" (guess that's right word) ends.

EDIT: Your cutting tip sounds like just what I want, but what do u mean by "scooching"?? .

Edited by Koffee Brown
K-B
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2005 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Koffee Brown Koffee Brown wrote:

what do u mean by "scooching"?? .

I guess I mean, lazily running it down the hair while kind of snipping it at the same time. I never close the scissors all the way, I just kinda open and close them just enough to start thinning but never really cutting INTO the hair. I hope that made sense.
shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2005 at 12:23pm

What about running some thinning scissors through the ends?

x

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic