Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

back to combs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: back to combs
    Posted: December 18 2006 at 3:31pm
I am unable to find a good wooden comb so far all the ones ive used have broken bits of wood off, i was told a horn comb is okay to use but i need one that is okay to use in the shower with wet hair is a horn comb okay for that with less damage or any other options, or does anyone know where i can get a good wooden comb??

thanks.
Babycheeks
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 7:51pm
I wouldn't recommend using the horn comb in the shower.  I didn't realize that's what you wanted it for.  Mine got wet from sitting on the bathroom cabinet and got a water spot.  Do the wooden ones not do that?  It was sitting in a little puddle for an hour or so.  Using it in the shower for just a few minutes might not hurt it, but I don't really want to take the chance.  I have a plastic one I use for that (I filed the seams with a nail file so it would be safer).

I'm sorry I can't help you with finding a wooden comb.  I'll ask at The Long Hair Site because I know there are women there who use them.
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 7:13am
Does it have to be wood or horn?  Do you just need it to be wide toothed and seamless?  You can get plastic ones pretty cheap if you just want seamless.  I got these (the Creative 5 seamless comb for about 8 bucks) here:  http://www.tenderheaded.com/combs.html

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
rlinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rlinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 9:58am
yea u just need a rat tail or any other plastic comb in the shower but stay away 4rm wood because wood soak up water and it expand and eventually it will break due 2 pressure

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 11:06am
good point, rlinn.  that may be why her's keep breaking.  i've never used a wooden comb, but it seems like using it in the shower wouldn't be good for it.
sarah
40 inches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 11:24am
yeah thats probably what it is using it in the shower is making it break. I just need a seamless good comb so i ll look into some safe plastic combs.
Babycheeks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 11:25am
would this comb be okay??
I dont want something that is going to break my hair off wet. do u think this will work. Im not sure because it is plastic.

Edited by babycheeks24 - December 19 2006 at 12:30pm
Babycheeks
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 7:02am
Plastic is fine as long as it doesn't have seams where the two halves of it were molded together, those are what tear hair. 

I don't see the word "seamless" on that comb.  It may be, and since it is only 2.50, you can always buy it and see if it has seams once you get it (its hard to tell from the photo).  Seamless is an advertising point though so if it didn't have them, I would think they would mention it.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Thisisniccy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thisisniccy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 8:03pm
I have thin, curly, hair and my longest layer is past the middle of my back.
I used to have it all that length with only layers in the front, but I got scissors happy and "bored" with it as most stylists do and decided to get 12 inches taken off in some places!  Now it looks thinner and not cute to me....But for someone with thick hair this would be an EXCELLENT LOOK!

Anyways...I use a plastic, wide-toothed pic with detangling spray everyday and have had no problems...I would reccomend one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 1:50pm
i ended up getting a tortoise large wide tooth comb does anyone know if tortoise is okay for wet usage????

Let me know thanks.
Babycheeks
Precious Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Precious Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 2:28pm
I'm not sure about that but there are alot of combs that say for wet use on the package
March 2007:

Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 3:23pm
I am also looking for a good comb. I  have a  plastic wide tooth right now, but it is not seamless. I have not yet had any problems, but I don't want to take any chances.
Where did you get your comb, babycheeks ? I have seen some celluloid combs, I wonder if they would be alright for wet use. I use a comb in the shower, so it would obviously have to be suitable.  which would be the best, horn wood or celluloid. I will most likely keep a platic one for the shower, but would like a good for for other times.

Alisa06
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 5:21pm
well im told horn wood is not good for the shower so maybe you can try celluloid im not sure i ended up getting tortoise. I tried it today and it didnt break my hair. So its a keeper. Maybe you can find a tortoise wide tooth comb. http://www.adiscountbeauty.com/page123.html
im justgoing to board down the seams if any cause seamless just cost to much for me right now and i hear boarding it down is just as affective, you could just board down your plastic one and save the money.

Edited by babycheeks24 - December 22 2006 at 6:32pm
Babycheeks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 9:39pm

Alisa, I already had a plastic one when I learned about the danger of seams and all that.  I used a coarse nail file to smooth them over so there were no sharp edges.  It worked great.  When I use a comb in the shower, it's the plastic one.  Otherwise, I use my horn comb.

sarah
40 inches
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 7:46am

Thank you. I figured that a plastic one would be the best for the shower.I would like to get a wood or horn or something else for other times. It doesn't necessarily have to be wood or horn, just a good one. I like the site that babycheeks showed. What great prices! I can't really tell if they are seamless. I thought that if I get a new one, it just makes sense to make sure it is seamless. I read somewhere about conair having plastic seamless, but I can't seam to find it on the web. oh, well I'll keep looking.

Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 7:51am
Oh, I forgot, Since I have been using my wide tooth comb instead of a brush , my curls have gotten more defined. I don't think  it has actually gotten curlier, I think that since I am not flattening or straightening with a brush, it is able to retain more of the curl. Kind of a nice surprise, I thought
Just thought I would mention it.

Alisa06
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 12:41pm
some on that site are seamless some arent from what i hear, im still looking for a affordable seamless comb, just dont have the money for an expensive one if u find the conair one let me know i know they are affordable.
Babycheeks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 12:45pm
http://www.nextag.com/swissco-comb/search-html
i wonder if any of these are seamless???
Babycheeks
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 10:03pm
I just ordered a bone comb through hair sense. It was a little on the pricier side at $9.50, but seamless and bone.  In case you want to check out the site.

Merry Christmas

Alisa06

Edited by Alisa06 - December 26 2006 at 5:00pm
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2006 at 2:34pm
Goody has some that look like they might be seamless. They are the ouchless group. I still want one for shower use, so I think I might try one of these. they have shower combs with a hanger built in. I wish I could find one around here, so I could look at it in person to make sure it is seamless. I live in a small town, so I doubt I will find one.

Merry Christmas

Alisa06
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic