Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

psychology and hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: psychology and hair
    Posted: July 17 2001 at 1:55pm
Question to throw out there...Is there still the social pressure for a woman to cut their hair short once they hit a certain age, and if so, at what age. Conversely, are there women who have had pressure put on them to cut their long hair to coincide with a specific time in their lives (i.e. marriage, new job, divorce, etc. I know that it`s what`s on the inside that counts, but has anybody ever felt that a haircut has changed their life to any signifigant extent.
JES View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2001 at 4:51pm
Reply to message: 21.2357.1
Usually 40 is the age that many believe to be the magical number to cut your hair. This is generally thought to be the age that your body starts its decline and gravity takes over. The shorter hair is suppose to "uplift" your look. As we all know, everybody is different and some need it earlier and some can go much later. I am sure there is a psychology behind the cutting of your hair at that age - the end of your youth, the start of your maturity, or whatever. Personally, I do find that as women get older they look better in shorter hair - which I contribute to the change in face and body. Some women will cut their hair after a divorce to signify the "letting go" or the "freedom". Of course I know of a recently divorced lady who is now growing her hair out. There are many reasons women cut their hair - some of which are social pressure.
Has a haircut changed anyone`s life - I`m sure it has. I remember a girl in high school that had long (knee length) hair. She was not popular and to tell you the truth I never thought she was very cute. One day, she walked in with chin length hair. She looked great - I took an interest in her immediately. Unfortunately, so did everyone else! She became very popular and she
ended up marrying the star basketball player.
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2001 at 10:44pm
I came to a conclusion years ago. I seriously can`t find one woman on earth that is totally happy with her looks!!
And to make matters worse her friends , relatives or coworkers will certainly try to make her look like them lol. If shorter hair actually would make someone more happier more prettier than I think it would be a solution ( because we should be happy on earth because we are dead a very long time!!! That is my phylosophy) but the reality is and I think everyone knows of someone close by that slams the door or refuses to go out because their short hair was cut a bit too short by the stylist, or it is a just centimeter off etc. Do they become so beautiful that they are on the cover of a modeling magazine. Heck no. Does a woman become more beautiful when she has longer hair? heck no. It doesn`t make anyone more beautiful just diffirent and maybe it might end so excitement in their life becuase of the same change but in all sooner or later they will still feel that they look older and that hair color is not right and it is off by a centimeter and off they go slamming the door bitching about their hair cuts etc lol or my own latest bitch is that it takes too long to comb my hair ..........................
The art of being a woman!!!!!!!!!! lol
dianefromcanada
Elle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2001 at 7:46pm
My experience with that....I had long hair as an undergrad and loved it, and got lots of attention for it; at it`s longest it was to my waste. It was very healthy, so I had no problem with it. However, friends were always telling me to cut my hair to make me look older (I`ve always looked young for my age - I know, I`ll be happy about that one day, but not now!). I gave in and took the dive - got a bob that was just above my chin. I admit, it made me look older, but when I went out, I noticed that men didn`t hit on me anymore. That, combined with the fact that I liked it longer, made me grow it back out.
Then I start grad school, and it was deja vu...though my hair was only to my midback this time, people hassled me to cut it to look older and more "professional"; I work in the university`s School of Business. Because of the professional aspect, I had it cut again, to just above my shoulders, and I plan to keep it that length through grad school. Yes, I look older and more professional, and people do seem to treat me with a little more respect and courtesy, but I miss my long hair a lot.
Moral of the story - peer pressure sucks!
~Elle
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2001 at 8:41pm
Dear Elle,

I am so sorry you felt such pressure to cut your hair! I do think there is such a thing as professional image with regards to hair, but I don`t necessarily think it has to to with length. I`d be the first to agree that two pigtails stuck up on the top of the head with colorful ribbons is not a professional image! Nor are big fluffy bows. I used to think that "professional" long hair needed to be put up, but I now think there are ways to wear it down and maintain a feminine yet professional edge. A conservative black headband to keep the hair back would look great with a suit, I think. The key is to not to wear an elaborate party-oriented style or hair jewelry that is loud and screams "look at me." I do think that if the hair is terribly wispy at the ends, it doesn`t look its best, but if the hair is healthy and the ends are kept trimmed, really there is no reason why it should be deemed unsuitable.

Out of curiosity, is it usually men or women who commented that you needed to cut your hair to look more "professional?"

Jennifer
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2001 at 5:45pm
I feel that if there is social pressure of this kind, then it is the woman herself who makes it so. After all at 40+ one should be adult enough to make one`s own decisions at that age. I agree with all that`s been said about peer pressure and making up your own mind - the point is don`t let anyone pressure you! My friend Tracey cut her lovely blonde hair and dyed it dark because she said she way "getting too old for it", and she`s only 30 - and so I wondered, "Why?"
phil
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic