Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Summertime Adhesives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nemesiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nemesiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Summertime Adhesives
    Posted: April 13 2008 at 5:35pm
Hey Ladies, I thought I would start this thread considering the summer months will soon be upon us and this board will be flooded with woman in distress over lf's sliding back and napes lifting due to heat and humidity.  Last summer I couldn't secure a hold for no more than a few days at a time, that was when I was new to the lf game.  I'm currently using blue liner tape in combo with davlyn and i've been getting a solid hold for 7 days.  We had close to 80 degree weather for a few days last week and I noticed by Friday my unit was lifting in the front, had to touchup to make it through the day.  With my blue liner/davlyn combo I usually last till Saturday and If I push it Sunday.  I'm not sure if my current combo is going to work for the summer months.  I figure this thread could help anyone who needs it.  It's never too early to get your adhesives for the summer months.  Personally I've ordered a motown tress human hair half wig because I need to have a backup in case my summer combo adhesives don't work.  So ladies share your summertime winning adhesive combos.
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2008 at 6:27pm
you ain't never lied, those that have not experienced summer months with a lf's don't have a clue what's in store for them.. i think Donna came up with the beautiful scarf tips, maybe she'll elaborate on that.. but all i can say is you better start experimenting with different adhesives and combinations that will work with your body chemisty b/c its all about running from the car to the air conditioning building in the summer time, trying to find the adhesive that can withstand global warming..
intl_babygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intl_babygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2008 at 7:15pm

EB with thin strips of proflex as support has always been the truth when it gets hot for me ...

Nemesiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nemesiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2008 at 7:23pm
intl_babygirl, EB is one adhesive I haven't tried, since I discovered the davyln/blue liner tape combo I stopped my experimentation of various adhesives.  I'm about to order some red liner tape so I'll order some EB with that, hopefully I can purchase both from the same company.
Sexi, believe me, I'm NOT PLAYIN' with the heat and humidity this summer. I'm about to do a search on donna's scarf tips, I have plans to purchase scarfs also.  If I can't find anything in the search then I'll pm donna. 
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2008 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Nemesiz Nemesiz wrote:

intl_babygirl, EB is one adhesive I haven't tried, since I discovered the davyln/blue liner tape combo I stopped my experimentation of various adhesives.  I'm about to order some red liner tape so I'll order some EB with that, hopefully I can purchase both from the same company.
Sexi, believe me, I'm NOT PLAYIN' with the heat and humidity this summer. I'm about to do a search on donna's scarf tips, I have plans to purchase scarfs also.  If I can't find anything in the search then I'll pm donna. 

EB is not an option for me, it gave me blister, pinched my skin off, and then ripped out my hairline so ain't no way i'm going there again.. plus it didn't hold on me for one day at all.. it wasn't worth it to me.. but i'm sure donna will chime in once she see's this post..
Nemesiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nemesiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2008 at 7:39pm
Dang, I didn't know EB could do damage like that.  I wear lf's because of my gradual hair loss going on in the front part of my hair, so taking care of my hairline is my main objective.  Well, I'll try it and pray for the best. 
Senegalese View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senegalese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2008 at 7:45pm
Hey intlbabygirl, how do u apply your EB+Proflex? I have tried EB once and didn't like it because it ripped my skin and my hair. Right now I am using a proflex+invisibond combo. But I have never worn lfs in summer and I still have a bottle of EB, do u put the EB or Proflex on the lace? Do u remove the eb with something else other than acetone? because it's too harsh on the skin....
Thanks
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2008 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by Senegalese Senegalese wrote:

Hey intlbabygirl, how do u apply your EB+Proflex? I have tried EB once and didn't like it because it ripped my skin and my hair. Right now I am using a proflex+invisibond combo. But I have never worn lfs in summer and I still have a bottle of EB, do u put the EB or Proflex on the lace? Do u remove the eb with something else other than acetone? because it's too harsh on the skin....
Thanks

there is a cosmestic acetone that is better for the skin and i brought some when i first ventured off into eb and still have some but i found that acetone alone doesn't remove it from the lace, its hard getting it out of the lace i had to use "PURE" remover with the acetone to get it out completely..

Kryolan has a comestic acetone, do a search and see if you can find it b/c its not at the site i use to purchase it from...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senegalese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2008 at 8:34pm
Thanks for the tip Sexi.
DonnaB63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnaB63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2008 at 8:51pm

Nemesiz, you ain't never lied!  The dog days of summer will surely put the most die-hard lace front Diva to the testLOL

A couple years back I realized that most of the adhesives I would dare experiment with just didn't work very well in the summer heat and humidity.  So I purchased a dozen or so scarves in colors and prints that would compliment most of the items in my wardrobe.  Any time I leave the safety of the air conditioner, I fashion a headband out of a scarf and kept it on until I got back in the building and cooled off a bit.  Once I cooled down, I removed the scarf and noticed that the adhesive was nothing short of re-activated by the heat and pressures of the scarf.    The hold was better than ever and if need be, I could get a full weeks wear with little or no lifting.  I wouldn't go for longer than a week because it can get quite stank under that lace in the summer.  Ever stick your finger in a gap under the nape when your head is sweaty and wonder if something dies up under there?  Dead  I got so many compliments and after a while, I noticed a lot of non-LF'ers sporting the look too.

Like Sexi, I can't do Endurabond.  Not if I want any type of hairline (should I ever decide to grow my hair back).  It ate up my skin like it was hungry, so I steer clear of it.  I don't do any of the tolulene containing adhesives either, just tapes and ORWG or Invisibond combos.  But please share any and all tips.  it doesn't matter how long in you're in the lace front game...there is always something new and I love to experiment!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intl_babygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2008 at 9:47pm
i cut the proflex 12" strip in half LENGTHWISE then i cut the half in 3 LENGTHWISE AGAIN... i use these on my two sides and centre of forehead ...  (/"""\) <---- soo it looks kinda like  that ... then i put my wig on top and press in ... this just barely holds it but holds anyway ... and i use EB and a toothpic inch by inch along the edge ... wait 5 seconds and press it in with a dry oil free comb ...for about 10 seconds ... the proflex keeps the tension of eb from pulling so much .. and keeps it away from your hairline..Embarrassed

i only use eb in the front ... wig clips or lace support in the back

ALWAYS DO A PATCH TEST 2 HOURS BEFORE APPLYING TO RULE OUT ALLERGIES

Edited by intl_babygirl - April 13 2008 at 9:52pm
Heaven_lei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heaven_lei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 2:50am
Originally posted by intl_babygirl intl_babygirl wrote:

i cut the proflex 12" strip in half LENGTHWISE then i cut the half in 3 LENGTHWISE AGAIN... i use these on my two sides and centre of forehead ...  (/"""\) <---- soo it looks kinda like  that ... then i put my wig on top and press in ... this just barely holds it but holds anyway ... and i use EB and a toothpic inch by inch along the edge ... wait 5 seconds and press it in with a dry oil free comb ...for about 10 seconds ... the proflex keeps the tension of eb from pulling so much .. and keeps it away from your hairline..Embarrassed

i only use eb in the front ... wig clips or lace support in the back

ALWAYS DO A PATCH TEST 2 HOURS BEFORE APPLYING TO RULE OUT ALLERGIES

** I use the exact same technique and she's so right, by using the proflex it stops the EB from pulling as it does w/o it..i use EB at the nape too along w/ blueliner tape and it holds just as long as my hairline...im so glad you too have success w/ EB bcz i have very oily skin and tend to sweat alot around my hairline those other adhesives just dont hold for me like EB does..i only get a good 5-7 day hold out of it though..any longer it would be risky. But by that time its time for me to do my hair routine underneath. ** But i will be picking up some of those scarfs, bcz here in cali the heat is so high, only good thing is its dry heat- Thanks!!! for the tip Donna!

Edited by Heaven_lei - April 14 2008 at 2:53am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senegalese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 9:16am

Thanks girl, one more stupid questionBig%20smile, so u mean the EB is on the lace, and proflex onyour skin? Do u remove the EB from the lace with acetone? Thanks

Edited by Senegalese - April 14 2008 at 9:17am
Chic-Geek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chic-Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 9:31am
I've said it once, I'll say it again... EB is for making furniture (IMO). Nemesiz, I'm looking forward to a good summer with the SuperTape+Davlyn combo. I've recently started using the two and I love the hold! I can't wait to see how it performs in the Chicago heat. 
Heaven_lei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heaven_lei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Senegalese Senegalese wrote:

Thanks girl, one more stupid questionBig%20smile, so u mean the EB is on the lace, and proflex onyour skin? Do u remove the EB from the lace with acetone? Thanks

Well i put proflex along my hairline on my skin and then EB i use to adhere the edges of the lace to my skin on the nape i actually put the blue liner tape on my skin and then EB all on top of the tape and then the lace..yes i use pure acetone i get it from my local bss. All i do is get a cotton ball and litterally summerge the acetone in it and take the cotton ball and squeeze so that acetone runs down along my hair line...w/in second the lace lifts right off..i've never had a problem removing my wig when i use EB...
Shonita24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shonita24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Chic-Geek Chic-Geek wrote:

I've said it once, I'll say it again... EB is for making furniture (IMO). Nemesiz, I'm looking forward to a good summer with the SuperTape+Davlyn combo. I've recently started using the two and I love the hold! I can't wait to see how it performs in the Chicago heat. 

this is my current combo and it holds awesome (winter months so far)....I live in southern california and it was 80 degrees yesterday.  I started to feel my bond loosening a bit and I was like "dang this is what the ladies have been talking about"......I'll keep experimenting. :)
weave4dayz365 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weave4dayz365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by sexibeach sexibeach wrote:

you ain't never lied, those that have not experienced summer months with a lf's don't have a clue what's in store for them.. i think Donna came up with the beautiful scarf tips, maybe she'll elaborate on that.. but all i can say is you better start experimenting with different adhesives and combinations that will work with your body chemisty b/c its all about running from the car to the air conditioning building in the summer time, trying to find the adhesive that can withstand global warming..

I know that's right Sexi, I live in the midwest and the last past summers were not very hot, but I'm fortunate because the tapes are doing well for me. when I feel myself sweating I just press firmly on my hairline and the tapes usually reattache .  But in the summer months I reattach and reapply about every week whereas in the winter months I can go for 3-4 weeks.
weave4dayz365 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weave4dayz365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 9:29pm

[QUOTE=Chic-Geek]I've said it once, I'll say it again... EB is for making furniture (IMO). Nemesiz, I'm looking forward to a good summer with the SuperTape+Davlyn combo. I've recently started using the two and I love the hold! I can't wait to see how it performs in the Chicago heat.  [/QUO

LMAO Chic is right that EB ain't no joke!! but the Davlyn and tape combo is da truth!!!  pssst Chic!  you ready for the SummerFest!!ClapClapClapBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intl_babygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 9:56pm
i use the eb on the lace and my skin ... acetone on a cotton ball or q-tip  removes it easily
NOT W8N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOT W8N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 10:36pm
right now i am using ultra hold... i aint a tape person - i think i just had bad luck... but i get a week hold with the ultra hold...
i want to try EB but i think i am scared- but i am going to st thomas this summer and i want to get my swim on... so i need to start experimenting right away...

Sexi - i think you said that vapon no tape liquid didnt work for you (nor me for that matter) and u use UH and ORWG combo= cause i have both of those and never combo'd it but i may try it...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic