Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do you sleep on it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you sleep on it?
    Posted: April 01 2004 at 11:00am
For those of you with very long hair, can you advise the best way to sleep on it. Do you wear it up in a braid? Do you wear a nite-cap? Do you use a silk pillow case? Or just let it be free? You get the idea... what do you think is the best way to keep your hair from getting pulled out, snagged, or how do you avoid waking up a bed head. This question is aimed at those of you with waist length hair or longer, but anyone is welcome to share their wisdom.

Thanks much!
wittils
Precious is the day... it happens only once in a lifetime.
Isis1017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isis1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2004 at 12:08pm
Before I go to bed I put some moisturizer in my hair, then I wrap it in a bun and secure it with bobby pins. Then I wrap a silk scarf around my head. I only put it in braids when I want some waves in my hair the next day.

Isis
Current length: tailbone
Hopefully classic length by September 2004

~_^
Nicole Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicole Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2004 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by wittils wittils wrote:

For those of you with very long hair, can you advise the best way to sleep on it. Do you wear it up in a braid? Do you wear a nite-cap? Do you use a silk pillow case? Or just let it be free? You get the idea... what do you think is the best way to keep your hair from getting pulled out, snagged, or how do you avoid waking up a bed head. This question is aimed at those of you with waist length hair or longer, but anyone is welcome to share their wisdom.

Thanks much!
wittils

I have fingertip length hair, and I sleep with it coiled into a cinnamon bun under a satiny night cap.
My hair is almost to my knees (~50") and continues to grow longer. Rather slowly these days, but that's ok - it's still *growing*.
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2004 at 12:24pm
I wear a satin night cap if my hair is dry, and if it´s wet and needs to dry I just let it hang down the end of the bed. If I have oiled it, the day before a hairwash, I might braid it on one side.

Sleeping with it just freeflowing is out of the question! It just gets stuck under me and I wake myself up trying to move my head!
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2004 at 1:49pm
Eep. I'll be taking advice from this thread. I think I can arrange something with the bandannas I got, one to cover the head, the other to make a bun cover. I've done more untangling in the last 2 weeks than i have in 4 years.
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2004 at 2:15pm
Thank you for the good ideas... I will try some in the future. I am just starting to grow out my hair and I want to prevent damage as much as possible. Pulled out hair or broken strands really bother me. I have my "day" routine down (from lots of good advice from those of you here). After a year I am reaping the results.

A couple of months ago I cut my hair, should say I found a person I can fully trust to cut my hair, and now I am off to a good start with all the damaged part gone. Now it is just 3 inches past my collarbone, but at least it is the healthiest I have seen it for awhile. Since I am a color junkie, I decided to go with Paul Mitchell's deposit only color, just to brighten it alittle bit. So I will see where this takes me.

Thanks again for the ideas!

enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2004 at 2:10pm
I tend to sleep with my hair in a low ponytail, loosely secured with a srunchie, placed over my shoulder. It's never tangled, but is rarely tangled anyway. Is this anything to do with my technique, or am I just naturally lucky? Many of my friends with shorter hair find it gets knotted easily unless it's in a plait.
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 1:23pm
Sometimes I have mine braided, mostly after it's been washed, and sleep on it this way. Sometimes it is loose. I really never have tangles either, but when it was longer it got caught always on something or got pulled. So this time I will care for it differently as it grows out.

But now my husband's is another story... his hair is waist length and every morning it is a mess. It looks about as bad as a bird's nest. Somehow I don't think he will use a silk nite cap... maybe I can talk him into a bandana. He does everything wrong... uses a brush to comb out his wet hair. Rips through it when it's dry... and unbelievingly he still has hair! But I can only imagine how much thicker or smoother it might be if he just changed one of his little bad habits.

He is noticing the changes with the health of my hair, and actually showing some interest!!!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 5:51pm
Hi wittils,

Very cool about your husband showing more interest. Maybe hand him a comb and show him how to use it on wet hair? And suggest he (at least) put his hair over the bed pillow so it doesn't get so tangled. Good luck.
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 1:44am
wittils : a silk night cap.... if it has nuke bombs, ak-47s or people getting sliced into pieces will always interest homo sapiens masculinus.

In reference to my comment, I'm still searching
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
thepals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2004 at 11:08am
I sew a lot and have lots of silk I bought in China...so what do these night caps look like or how are they shaped? any links to pics so I can figure out how to make one?

I used to wear my hair coiled on my head at night, but it started breaking off where the scrunchie was and I inadvertently got some bangs!

thx
wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2004 at 12:33pm
That is pretty much my concern... when you wear a scrunchie, a ponytail, or braid and you toss and turn then you are bound to have hair pulled out or broken and short ends you don't want. Somehow I think a silk nite-cap over loose hair tucked up inside probably would work the best.
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2004 at 10:41am
I made the nightcaps I use myself, without being able to saw, really. I just copied a shower cap I have:

I cut two circles about 46 cm i diameter (about half a yard, I think), used the material double to get it silky either way, so that there wouldn´t be any friction between the cap and the pillow either. Then I just made a canal all around and pulled a rubber band through and adjusted it to my head. Easy as pie!

I do find that it is most comfortable, less friction, if I use a satin pillowcase with the nightcap. If there is too much friction against the pillow, the nightcap might fall off, but then I´m a great ****** and turner!

(What, I can´t write tossing? English is a mystery to me...)
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2004 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by wittils wittils wrote:

That is pretty much my concern... when you wear a scrunchie, a ponytail, or braid and you toss and turn then you are bound to have hair pulled out or broken and short ends you don't want.

Hi wittils,

I agree. Once in a great while I sleep with the braid still in. Big mistake. I get lots of breakage at the point where the elastic sits, and the hair gets badly tangled there, too.
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2004 at 1:56am
[Moderator note: edited to keep board PG]
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2004 at 12:33pm
Kintaro: My god! lol
Erinlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erinlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2004 at 12:42pm
I alos just put my hair in a low pony and ive not have a problem...if im not being lazy tired i will braid it on occasion for sleeping...but usualy a low pony...if my hair is wet I dont put it in anything but i flip it up behind me. It might get a bit tangled but not too bad. The only things ive noticed that really tangles my hair are coat collars or "fur" trimmed collars. My hair really only tangles at the back of my neak when i wear those kind of things.
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 11:13am
I just leave my hair in a ponytail generally when i go to sleep. I think I must be fairly lucky in tha my hair doesn't seem to get tangled under normal cicumstances. Question to nightcap wearers: how can you bare having anything on your head at night, urrgh eww ... sorry. 
shiverpale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiverpale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 1:24pm

i go to bed looking like a bank robber - i wear a pair of tights (stockings) with 2 holes cut in them for my eyes (so i can see) over me WHOLE head to protect my hair! it scares the hell out of me when i catch my reflection in the mirror in the morning.

NOT REALLY!

hehe

i mostly wear it loose, naughty i know, but its holding up well. its in good condit!...when i dont wear it loose, its either in plaits/braids, or a loose ponytail.

i dont think i could wear anything on my head either. especially silk - doesnt it slip off???

Asmara

"The hair is the richest ornament of women."
deltagirl12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltagirl12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 1:45pm

Hi Hi:

Some times I put it in a low lose pony tail, other times I just let hang lose.  I guess it depends on my mood.

Susan

Susan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic