Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

white ppl with braids?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Pixie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2004 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by liz_naz liz_naz wrote:

>>>>>>>Sorry, but I have a real problem with white people taking on black hairstyles. Black people had been plaiting their hair for centuries then along comes Bo Derek with canerow in 10 and suddenly it's cool to have plaits in. The same with make up and a host of other things. White people hijack the best of a non white culture and take it as their own, giving no credit back to the original culture.
What really annoys me is the comments white people come out with about black hair and how sticky it is or by asking do you use Vaseline in your hair. Black hair is really difficult to deal with, these comments make my blood boil, and as for the grief with dreadlocks, not allowed to wear them to school and such, you trying living with black hair for a month and tell me how you want to style it. You don't try to understand you just make assumptions, not very fair is it?
I think you shoud stick to your wash and go hair. <<<<<<<

like G, i totally agree. but not only that, most white people look, no offence to african/jamaican ethnics, but they look really trampy with it, like they're really tryinna look hard and cool like a gangsta or somert. I am mixed race, and look very white; yes i admire african/jamaican braided hair, but i wouldnt have it because it wouldnt suit me. it just does not suit white/fair skinned people. unless you are dark skinned, it looks well trampy, like a greebo.
you should, afterall, get a hairstyle that suits you, tat goes with your face shape; n fuk all d people that say "its not a black thing, anyone can have it , its your hair you can do what you want with it", coz ur just stupid.

and another thing, i cried when i say the oscars and heard Halle berries speach....
im not of african/jamaican ethnic, (im mixed race, half english half kurdish) but it really moved me!
I'm not racist or anything. I just think if you are white be white or black be black.I do think twist look nice on white people,but it's just when I see white girls with braids.I automatically think,oh their trying to be black.I think that braids and other black hairstyles should just be on black people.It's only natural.Sorry if I offend anyone,it's just my opinion.
"You only live once,but if you work it right,once is enough."- Joe E. Lewis
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2004 at 9:33pm
im sorry to let u know this last time i checked black and white are colors not attitudes. You cant tell people be white and be black there is no real way to act either way just act yourself and hairstyles do not determine your race cause if that was the case black people shouldnt even have perms but they were made to be more accepted by white. And like G u need to do research all nationalites wore braids and weaves before america even began so you need a reality check
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

The_Airknight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Airknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2004 at 1:12pm
This topic serves no purpose. If people weren't so ignorant..ugh..
Pixie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2004 at 6:06pm
[/QUOTE] All I'm saying is that people who should wear braids are the people who started.And far as people in history the main people were Africans/Egyptians,not whites.It just look weird seeing whites with braids.Knowing their hair is not course.And we cant wear hair too much like white people so why should they steal our/blacks style.
maxx View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2004 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Pixie Pixie wrote:

All I'm saying is that people who should wear braids are the people who started.And far as people in history the main people were Africans/Egyptians,not whites.It just look weird seeing whites with braids.Knowing their hair is not course.And we cant wear hair too much like white people so why should they steal our/blacks style.
[/QUOTE]
I think that if a person feels happy and secure with his or her self then he/she will not waste their time criticizing others.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2004 at 12:52pm
just wear your hair like u want .... yeah this dont serve any purpose
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Airknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2004 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Pixie Pixie wrote:

All I'm saying is that people who should wear braids are the people who started.And far as people in history the main people were Africans/Egyptians,not whites.It just look weird seeing whites with braids.Knowing their hair is not course.And we cant wear hair too much like white people so why should they steal our/blacks style.
[/QUOTE]

Alright..that was utter and complete ridiculousness. Again, no one is white. No matter what kind of hair you have, have the style that you want.

Egyptians are African, by the way..
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2004 at 1:54pm
Personally, I think alot of people have gotten really immature with this thread. The girl asked a question. You all start in with race and so on and so on. If she wants to do it then GO FOR IT. There was no need for anyone to get offended and start at each others throats. This is a hair forum....we are supposed to HELP EACH OTHER!

Honestly, on most caucasion girls that I see with braids...I don't like it. But there are some caucasion girls in my college that I have seen totally pull it off...and they looked really pretty. Its all in who you are and your personality/looks.

There I edited "white girl" to caucasion. Hope no offense was taken!
*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Airknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2004 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by AmberJune AmberJune wrote:

Personally, I think alot of people have gotten really immature with this thread. The girl asked a question. You all start in with race and so on and so on. If she wants to do it then GO FOR IT. There was no need for anyone to get offended and start at each others throats. This is a hair forum....we are supposed to HELP EACH OTHER!

Honestly, on most white girls that I see with braids...I don't like it. But there are some white girls in my college that I have seen totally pull it off...and they looked really pretty. Its all in who you are and your personality/looks.

You've seen white people? People the color of my socks? Interesting.
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2004 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by The_Airknight The_Airknight wrote:

Originally posted by AmberJune AmberJune wrote:

Honestly, on most white girls that I see with braids...I don't like it. But there are some white girls in my college that I have seen totally pull it off...and they looked really pretty. Its all in who you are and your personality/looks.

You've seen white people? People the color of my socks? Interesting.

Don't you see that your being just as immature as the rest? I'm not judging people by there color. I'm sorry...did you want me to say caucasion? Fine...if that is more appropriate then I will say that. But I think alot of people would get offended if I went around saying that african american girl as opposed to "black girl" because they would think I was being a smart ass. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

....Oh and another thing... I AM WHITE....as if I was trying to offend people of my race!
*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01
Isis1017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isis1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2004 at 7:35pm
This topic is really stupid. Who cares it's her hair. She's the one who has to live with it. If you don't like to see different people adopting other's culture, ignore it.

If you are approached for experimenting elements of another's culture, ignore them, they have issues.

Some people look good with braids some don't, black and white. Let that person decide for theirself.

I think it was a very unecessary question for her to ask. It would be in her best interest to try to make independent decisions on how she wants the world to see her as a person.
Current length: tailbone
Hopefully classic length by September 2004

~_^

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Airknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2004 at 8:43pm
Not a big deal, but it is a big deal (the whole color thing..no one being white/black/yellow/red).. I just want people to use a little common sense, LoL.

No offense taken..I suppose ;).

This topic can be closed now. Although it shouldn't have been posted in the first place..ya know?
Isis1017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isis1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2004 at 9:41pm
I'm black and I don't believe it to be a color thing. I think it's just a bunch of hateful people who don't want people outside of their culture, adopting parts of it which they find desirable.

~_^
Isis1017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isis1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2004 at 9:42pm
I guess I would call it being culturally selfish.

~_^
Pixie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2004 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by The_Airknight The_Airknight wrote:

lright..that was utter and complete ridiculousness. Again, no one is white. No matter what kind of hair you have, have the style that you want.

Egyptians are African, by the way..
That's why I kind of put Africans/Egyptians.And what I said is not ridiculous it is just a matter of opinion just like what you said.
hair is hair View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hair is hair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2004 at 12:42pm
you guyz are making a big deal out of nothing..EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN PERSONALITY....whether caucasians have blonde hair and have it straight... and african american's have black hair and wear it in weaves braids etc..WHAT DOES IT MATTER HAIR IS HAIR.....leave it alone..if she wants to get her hair done so be it....just b.c a person is a different color...gender it doesnt matter what her hair looks like as long as the person getting it done likes it. AS FOR YOU PIXIE look at your hair in the pic...it's down striaght kind of does that mean you took it from us.. b.c i bet ADAM AND EVE'S HAIR WERE STRAIGHT AND I BET EVE'S HAIR WAS DOWN or yet look at when jesus was on the cross...his hair was long...
sleepn View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2004 at 12:43pm
i agree with hair is hair!!!!!!!!!!!!
dawnerz51003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawnerz51003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2004 at 12:55pm
that was a good point hair is hair....but i still don't think that pixie was being hateful towards any one but your right about the whole jesus and adam and eve thing so yeah just leave it alone though CURIOUS you can wear your hair how ever you like it AS LONG AS YOU LIKE IT who cares what other people have to say.......
dawnerz51003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawnerz51003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2004 at 12:55pm
that was a good point hair is hair....but i still don't think that pixie was being hateful towards any one but your right about the whole jesus and adam and eve thing so yeah just leave it alone though CURIOUS you can wear your hair how ever you like it AS LONG AS YOU LIKE IT who cares what other people have to say.......
Isis1017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isis1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2004 at 8:02pm
Ummm. Looking back at the original post, I'm pretty sure curious made her decision 4 long years ago.

She posted 11-Dec-2001. It's kinda funny we're still giving her advice and talking about it.

What did you finally decide to do Curious?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic