Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

sun in / lemon juice?help!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
smile View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sun in / lemon juice?help!?
    Posted: February 01 2002 at 10:20pm
okay i have dark brown hair and i just want to lighten it alittle , i don`t want to die it though, what are some ideas , so far i have heard of ``sun in``... does it work ?does it damage your hair? and i also have been told to use lemon juice.... will it mess up my hair? plz help thanx and any other ideas would be helpful. - Me
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2002 at 12:28am
yes, it damages...and the thing about sun in and that sort of thing is it keeps lightening. So, you think that you have reached a color you like and it keeps going. The end result is straw hair. Sun in was popular in the 80s -- as was soaking your hair in lemon juice then laying out. same result.

another thing, with your hair being dark brown...more than likely your hair will turn orange.

trix
Hair type: fine but thick; natural blonde with 15% grey
Rachel B. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachel B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2002 at 11:26am
ive used sun in & lemon.sun in works,lemon doesnt(4 me anyway)sun in didnt damage my hair,& i used about 2 bottles,in fact,when i touched my hair it felt kind of soft.i have dark brown hair 2,it turned this orangish blondish colour,but then again,i used 2 much.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2002 at 7:33pm
My hair is also dark brown and one of the biggest mistakes of my adolesence was using the notorious Sun-In to get that "golden" look. "Orange" is a better descriptor. Brassiness will occur when hair is too dark to be lightened without professional intervention. My hair was reddish orange for a long time until it grew out. For blondes, Sun-in apparently works well to bring out highlights, but I`d definitely recommend a trip to the salon before you even consider do-it-yourself coloring. Better safe than sorry, right? :) Good luck!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2002 at 3:48pm
I used Sun-In about 2 years ago. I thought it was fine at first.. but then my hair turned a copper/brass color which wasn`t very attractive if you know what I mean. I definetly wouldn`t recommend it to anyone.

I`ve never tried lemon juice. I don`t think I would ever try it though. I`d much rather just go get high lights put in my hair. That way I wouldn`t have to worry about the results!
*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2002 at 8:24pm
This is Lyris again. Check out the picture below: the sun is shining on part of my hair and you can definitely see the brassy-orange color compliments of Sun-in. I say stay away from it if your hair`s anything but blonde or light light brown. Adios.

http://michiganyaf.com/images/red.JPG">
http://michiganyaf.com/images/red.JPG">http://michiganyaf.com/images/red.JPG
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Olivia Chillia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olivia Chillia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2002 at 3:00pm
If you want to lighten your hair a little and have better control than with Sun In or lemon juice you can try Salon Selectives Highlighting Foam. It gradually highlights your hair and when you reach your desired level of lightening you stop using it and it stops lightening your hair. It is much less expensive than going to a salon.

There are a couple of drawbacks though. Because it is a gradual, repeated process it is very hard to consistently highlight a specific section. Also, it will bring out whatever highlights your hair naturally has (Mine are terra cotta red...not the most flattering shade for me), whether or not they are the best color for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic