Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cuticle Sealer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shaun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shaun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cuticle Sealer
    Posted: August 07 2002 at 3:29am
Does anyone know of a good cuticle sealer that I can use after shampooing and conditioning. I want something that will really penetrate the hair shaft give moisture and help with breakage.

Thank you.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2002 at 7:31am
A "sealant" is anything that closes the hair shaft, and this typically requires the product to have a high pH. Some people are immediately scared of something with an "unbalanced" pH, but it`s silly to fear that--as long as the pH is slightly acidic (not alkaline as in dyes) it will close the cuticles, making them lie flatter and therefore look shinier. The sealants I`ve seen in stores are typically a liquid or creamy conditioner. Truthfully, you should rely on an emollient, protein-based conditioner for moisture and reducing breakage, since a sealant (like any conditioner) only makes your hair feel good temporarily.

You can actually just rinse your hair with vinegar to increase the shine, or go over your head with the cold shot on your dryer. The real problem with sealants is that the hair naturally wants to return to its mostly neutral pH. So virtually acidic you put on your hair won`t have a real lasting effect, since the hair will return to its normal pH anyway.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic