Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ARTec's texturesmooth vs. Phytospecific Relaxer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ARTec's texturesmooth vs. Phytospecific Relaxer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Gaga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ARTec's texturesmooth vs. Phytospecific Relaxer
    Posted: March 03 2003 at 4:49am
I would like some advice please.
I have used in the past ARTec's texturesmooth to relax/straighten my hair and it worked really well. ARTec's texturesmooth is not available where I live now so after reading a lot about Phytorelaxer and it is available where I live so I gave it a go and I liked the results; it made my hair shiny and soft but after 6 - 8 weeks the waves seem to come back in my hair but less, where ARTec's texturesmooth was really permanent.
My question is:
I have found ARTec's texturesmooth and I would love to use it but 2 months ago I used Phytorelaxer and I have it on the end of my short hair.
Is it a problem to use ARTec on the regrowth when the rest is Phyto? I will be having my hair cut after the treatment just to refresh the ends.
I would very much appreciate your advice.
Gaga
See the Positive in all Situations
SSassy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSassy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2003 at 5:28pm
I was curious..you did the Artec Texturesmooth at a hair salon vs the PhytoSpecific Relaxer at home?

I had the Liscio Thermal Reconditioning done about 9 months ago, and want it keep it straight, but would prefer more body.

Other than the PhytoSpecific only lasting about 6-8 weeks, how did you like it?

I haven't found any info on the Artec Texturesmooth in the Denver, CO area...but can you give me an idea of what that cost you when you had it done?

Thanks!
IcyFire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IcyFire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 1:37am
Yes, I would also like to know where I can find ARTec. I hear it's pretty good.
Visit the Bright Skin Forum
http://excoboard.com/exco/forum.php?forumid=65288
Orc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2003 at 1:41pm
I have both of them done at home. You can buy them on line.
I find that Artec Texturesmooth never ever burn or irritate my scalp. However, the Phytospecific Relaxer makes my hair super soft and shiny.
The last time I used the Phytospecific, I left in my hair for 15 minutes extra. In the beginning it felt as it was going to break but a few days later it was super straight, super soft and it lasted longer.
I would not recommend leaving the solution for that long unless you are ready to cut your hair all of if it goes wrong. I took my chance.
I myself prefer the Artec Texturesmooth, I had it done at a salon in Australia where I used to live and it cost US$35.00.
If you want to seek information about ARTec's texturesmooth you have to type you will find some site where they sell it.
You can buy ARTec's texturesmooth on the net and cost US$20.00.
Read these 2 articles about ARTec's texturesmooth
http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip184.htm
or
http://www.behindthechair.com/content/22/obedience2.asp
for Phytospecific Relaxer you can find a lot of information about it on line.
Cheers
Blijf luisteren naar je lichaam en haar!
IcyFire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IcyFire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2003 at 3:45am
thanks. I think I'm gonna get both.
Visit the Bright Skin Forum
http://excoboard.com/exco/forum.php?forumid=65288
Orc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2003 at 7:59am
hey, IcyFire, can you please let me know how you find both of them and how they work for you and which one you like.
cheers
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2003 at 11:29am
Hi,

Great topic. I am a huge fan of ARTec although I have never used the Texturesmooth. We sell the Phytospecific here at HairBoutique.com and there is detailed info here from Lisa who has tried both the Phytospecific AND the Rusk.

I have talked at length to the people at Phyto who do the training on the Phytospecific line..since we sell it here at HB.com. Phytospecific was designed to be much more gentle than a relaxing treatment you would receive at a salon. The same is true of Rusk. Both were designed for consumers to be used at home. The ARTec Texturesmooth was NOT designed for consumers but was designed for stylists and professionals. I know this for a fact.

Therefore the ARTec will tend to be more concentrated and more like a salon treatment then either the Phyto or the Rusk. Although you can buy the ARTec Texturesmooth and do it at home...keep in mind that ARTec did not intend the product to be used that way.

Rusk and Phyto did intend for their relaxers to be used at home. So they designed it to be as foolproof as possible. They take into consideration that consumers may not have the expertise that a hair pro will have. Therefore, in the many years that we have sold Phytospecific we have had almost no complaints about the results. However, we get almost daily rave emails and thank yous about the product.

It works. Yes, it grows out in 8 weeks or so...depending on a number of factors, but the risk of frying your hair is much less.

Keep in mind that the ARTec Texturesmooth, the Phytospecific and Rusk are NOT the same type of treatments as Yuko, Liscio or the Thermal Reconditioning treatments that are done in salons. The focus on the same results (smoother, straighter, less wavy or curly hair) but TR treatments use much stronger chemicals and I would never recommend that anyone that is a consumer undertake TR at home w/out the help of a professional.

One other thing to consider. Whether you have a full blown TR treatment like Yuko or a home treatment like Phytospecific or Rusk.....it does not work for ALL hair types and textures. Many TR pros will not apply the TR treatment to newly colored or damaged hair. Rusk and Phyto warn in their booklets NOT to use on newly colored hair or hair that is extremely damaged.

Thanks again for the topic. Very informative.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Barbara B View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbara B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2003 at 11:50am
Hi,

I am one of the users that is mentioned in Karen's post about Phytospecific above. I lurk here all the time but rarely post because I don't have much to say. However, when I saw this post I had to comment.

In fact, Karen helped me via email to do the Phytospecific 2 formula the first time I did the treatment. I was really worried that I would mess up my hair since I had suffered through home perm disasters in the past. I had never done the Phytospecific before and was worried about some of the instructions. She emailed me step by step answers to my questions. My hair turned out incredible. I am getting so many compliments that I am actually amazed.

I think Phyto makes great products anyway. However, knowing that you can get email help quickly like that eased my fears beyond belief. One thing that I learned a long time ago is that the people at HB.com really care and they will email at all hours of the day and night if they think you need their help.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Babs
ClaraBell View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClaraBell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2003 at 12:09pm
Ditto to Bab's post. I bought my fav Phytojojoba from HB.com. No shipping, no taxes and got the package 2 days after I ordered it. Unfortunately the bottle had broken in UPS shipping. I emailed HB Customer Service at 6:00 pm on a Friday night when I got home and opened my package. By 8:00 pm I got both an email response back and a phone call from Customer Service. UPS picked up the damaged package first thing that following Monday and by Tuesday I had my replacement package, all at HB.com's expense & prompt resolution. They even included a gift for the inconvenience when it was UPS's fault (they threw the package off the truck and it broke the bottle on my concrete porch even though it was heavily cushioned and bubble wrapped).

I don't even get as good of service at Niemans or Nordstroms. :-) Just my own kudos.

ClaraBell

Orc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2003 at 1:13pm
I am talking from experience.
I have used the ARTec Texturesmooth as well as the Phytospecific at home.
The ARTec Texturesmooth never ever burnt my scalp where the Phytospecific did always for leaving it for as long as 20 minutes when it suggests in the instruction 25 minutes!
Besides, Phytospecific never lasted for more than 5 – 6 weeks but the ARTec Texturesmooth is permanent.

Karen, I would love to know what are the numbers of factors that Phytospecific would grow out in 8 weeks.
However, I love other Phytospecific products for after I relax my hair.
Given the choice I would choose ARTec Texturesmooth. No burn with very satisfying results.
That is my personal opinion and from my own experience.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 8:32am
Orc,

No disrespect to you but ARTec Texturesmooth was designed specifically to be used by stylists in a professional setting (salon, spa etc) with prior training from ARTec to the stylists. I know this because when the product was first announced I talked personally to the people at ARTec. They were concerned about consumers using the ARTec Texturesmooth at home and having problems or potentially burning or damaging their hair.

The fact that you used it at home and had a good experience is great for you. However, it is your personal experience and it was on your hair.

One thing I have learned in the many many years of dealing with hair and consumer hair issues is that every single head of hair is different. What works perfectly for one works horrendously for others. I have literally thousands and thousands of emails to show that point.

You are one person, who is a consumer using hair care products. One is designed for home care application and one is not. You used products that worked for you. That is great. I appreciate the feedback and the posts regarding that. It is wonderful that you found something that was better for you.

I encourage people to try many things. What works for me does not work for everyone else. I have probably typed that sentence 1000 times so that people understand that every hair type, texture, length, condition and environment plays a factor.

However, it does not mean that because you had one type of experience that was good that anyone or everyone else will have the same results. It also does not mean that because you had a bad experience with a different products that the product is bad. The reverse could be totally true for millions...or not.

Again...as I stated above....Phytospecific was designed to be soft, gentle and easily used by consumers. It does exactly what it is meant to do for most consumers. Again, not everythingworks for everyone.

I personally love ARTec. I still use Smoothing. I also love Phyto and Aveda. However, I understand that those are my own experiences based on my hair type, texture, condition and temperament.

It is important to comment that regardless of what type of straightening or relaxing product you use, as soon as your hair grows in at the roots, the results of the product will grow out. So there is no product on the market, whether ARTec or Phyto or Yuko that is forever. They are all temporary until your hair grows back and you either do a root application or you let your hair return.

To answer your question...the numbers or factors that Phytospecific would grow out in 8 weeks? Well I need to amend my statement. First of all I have had some feedback that Phytospecific will soften gradually but that the results will stay in the hair permanently. Just like ARTec. What I was referring to when I said "grow out" was the growth at the roots. Exactly like what happens with ARTec.

The factors equate to how fast hair grows from the roots. So if hair grows slowly, the Phyto could last up to 6 months. If hair grows quickly it could start it would be more like 8 weeks.

Bottom line, ARTec will grow out just like Phytospecific does because once the hair grows out from the root the true texture of the hair will always return. This is true with Phytospecific, this is true with ARTec and this is true with Yuko, Liscio and any straightener, perm, color or chemical application.

I could sell ARTec at HairBoutique.com if I wanted to. I could also sell Aveda and Paul Mitchell and Redken. I choose not to sell those products here at HairBoutique.com because I would be doing it w/out the express permission of those companies. Out of respect to hairstylists and the manufacturers I only sell products that I specifically have permission and a contract to sell.

I also do not sell products that I think might not translate well for home use because a large percentage of HB.com visitors want to use home products.

What you read above is true. I do personally support people who buy the Phyto products from HB.com. I took training from Phyto in the use or the products. I am not trained to support ARTec Texturesmooth and I would not begin to try.

Finally, I am not saying Orc that you are right or wrong. I am saying that you had personal experiences of your own on your own type of hair that worked for you. That is great. I am not saying that Phyto is better or ARTec is better. I am just sharing all the facts.

Why? Because I will be the one getting literally hundreds of emails from consumers about these products and I want to give all the sides.

Regards,
Karen

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Constance View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Constance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 10:41am
Amen Karen. For years people have pushed me to use Pantene because "they loved it and it was great". I finally tried it and it made my hair feel horrible. Just terrible. I spent a fortune on deep conditioners getting my hair back.

I have no opinion about ARTec vs Phyto BUT I do agree with what you said that what works for one does not necessarily work for everyone and it is important to point that out. Thank you for doing so.

Constance.
Bratty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bratty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 11:02am
Hi all,

I read on a different thread here at HairTalk that Orc recently had a terrible experience at a salon with a stylist that damaged his hair during a chemical application and he had to pay for it. Even worse, he had to live with the results. So I am sympathetic to Orc's blight having lived through my own bad chemical treaments at the hands of a "professional".

I know and very much respect Karen that you are very concerned (bless you for your caring) about letting hair consumers who might not understand, know all the pros and cons about various products. Especially chemical products that can and might harm them if they go into it uninformed.

So while I agree that everyone should keep in mind that some products work better in a salon setting, that does depend on finding a good stylist you can trust (as Sophie usually points out - rightfully).

Anyway, thank you to Orc for his input and to Karen for being concerned about providing both sides. There are always two sides to every topic and it is nice to be able to see all the opinions. Ultimately it could be said that your hair can be damaged at home or in a salon by any type of product if you don't have all the facts going in and don't time your time to find the best solution for you, your hair and your wallet. :-)

Bratty
Orc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 11:38am
I never thought that this topic was going to end up this way
However, I am just trying to share my own experiences with all the people who come here for some advice.
At the end of the day I am just trying to help and I am not getting anything from either ARTec no Phytospecific. I am not promoting no selling.
I like Phytospecific relaxer but I prefer ARTec for reasons I mentioned earlier.
Believe me, I have a bathroom full of Phytospecific products,
Restructuring Milk, Optimal Hydration Milk, Beauty Styling Crème, Moisturizing Styling Balm, Revitalizing Scalp Treatment, Intense Nutrition Shampoo and Hydra-Repairing Shampoo.
I can take a picture of the products and post it if you don’t believe me
They have made wonder to my hair after it has been so badly damaged.
My hair is wavy/curly and after the damaged it went frizzy but thanks to Phytospecific that my hair has finally recovered but of course it is not as good as it was a week ago.
I love Phytospecific products but for the relaxer in my own opinion ARTec is better
Bratty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bratty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 2:00pm
Dear Orc,

Yes, we all got that you were only trying to share your own experiences and opinions. No one, IMO, was saying otherwise. I don't think anyone was trying to imply anything else about your post. I certainly didn't get that anyone doubted you or felt you had ulterior motives in any way. I think they were just trying to give both sides of the issue, which is what these boards are for. They are for discussion. That is only fair. You gave your side and Karen gave her side. Karen even said she appreciated your feedback and that she acknowledged that what works for some doesn't work for others and vice versa. I don't think she intended anything else by her response.

Bratty
Orc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 12:41am
After all I havenot got the knowledge, the training or the experience that Karen has.
I am just talking from my own personal experiences with both Phytospecific and ARTec relaxer products.
However, I would very much like to thank Karen for the info and the facts and Bratty too.

Karen, as you can see I like to try things here and there with these products, so, do you think I can e-mail you sometime for advice?
Would it be too much to ask for your e-mail address?
Cheers
Orc
cooldude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cooldude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 7:00pm
hello everone,

I have been a member of this griup for quite some time but normally like to read more than post. However, this topic relates to me and I would like someone's help who has experienced similar results.

After reading rave reviews about Phytospecific, i ordered Phytorelaxer II through HB and applied last Sunday. Over all results are OK but not as great as i was expecting. Both the frizz and curl are gone. But my hair has become really dry and almost flat. I timed the whole process and washed my hair within 25 minutes. Any suggestions.

Constance View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Constance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 9:46pm
Well my first thought is to ask if you emailed Karen or HB.com customer service to ask for suggestions? If you bought it from them then I am sure they would be more than happy to offer advice. In fact, I suspect that they would want to help and probably get smiliar questions all the time.

Orc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 2:57am
Hi cooldude,
If you have just done it then give it a few day before it has a life in and no longer flat.
Probably you should not have applied it directly on the scalp.
I am surprised that it has dried your hair! Maybe Phytospecific is not the best relaxer as far as results are concerned but it always left my hair shiny and soft.
What hair products do you use?
You should use a leave in conditioner for a styling.
I personally fell in love with Phytospecific Beauty Styling Crème. It has Beeswax for hold and Shea butter combined with different oils that condition, hydrates and protects the hair.
It is an excellent products I tell you and it is designed for curly, frizzy and relaxed hair.
It keeps your hair moisturized all day long and even after you wake up.
But if you don’t like the greasy feel or look, then this product is not for you.
There is as well Phytospecific Moisturizing Styling Balm, which is a leave in conditioner, it does a good job but I found it, it weighs my hair down.
You can try Phyto #7 or Phyto #9 they both lighter than Phytospecific Moisturizing Styling Balm.
I relax my hair every now and again so I have a collection of Phytospecific products like a junky
I live in Europe and the Phytospecific line is French so it is a lot cheaper over this side by half the price.
I sound as if I am promoting the Phytospecific line
Anyhow, good luck and please let us know how you go.
I hope Karen gives you some advice too as she is the one with the experience and the knowledge
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 5:38am
Hi Orc,

Please feel free to email me anytime at shelton@hairboutique.com. I do try very hard to answer my email in a timely fashion. As a matter of fact, everyone is welcome to bMail me here at the boards or email me at HairBoutique.com.

Thank you for your posts. I enjoy them very much. And Bratty is right, I just like to make sure that I cover all the bases because I worry that people will have problems with their hair if I don't try to tell them everything I can possibly think of.

And I hope you know it had nothing to do with you or your previous posts. They are always very helpful and I appreciate them and your opinions very much.

Best wishes,
Karen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic