Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I Feel Like I've tried EVERY product out there! COARSE HAIR NIGHTMARE!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I Feel Like I've tried EVERY product out there! COARSE HAIR NIGHTMARE!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lemons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lemons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Feel Like I've tried EVERY product out there! COARSE HAIR NIGHTMARE!
    Posted: August 13 2003 at 12:28pm
Hi Everyone! I'm new to the board and am hoping for a little help. I have COARSE hair. That's the best way to describe it. Not dry, really just super Coarse, thick and frizzy. BUT everything I have to do to make it look good can make it become dry.

My shower is literally LITTERED with 20+ bottles of different types of product, but none of them seem to really make a difference.

Can anyone suggest a product for Coarse thick hair?

Also, I get my hair cut at the Paul Mitchell Academy here in So Cal and when I went in last week, my stylist mentioned a new product by Paul Mitchell called Super Skinny. It's a shampoo that is supposed to "Shrink" the cuticle. I don't think it's out in salons yet, and I couldn't buy it because they were out of it there. Has anyone out there heard about or tried it? I'm going back this Saturday for color and I think I'm going to pick up a bottle.

Sorry for the long post!
Kat
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2003 at 12:54pm
I am no expert, but I'm thinking that Super Skinny doesn't actually shrink the diameter of the cuticle. It probably works as many conditioners do, sealing the cuticle and thus cutting down on frizz (albeit only slightly.) A look at the ingredient list would help too!

However, PM also makes some hard-to-substantiate claims that are less-than-desirable. The company says this new line "penetrates deep into the hair shaft, where it displaces water and constricts the hair."

Well, first, it's not possible for an ordinary shampoo and conditioner to "penetrate" the hair shaft without using a strong base (high pH) to open the cuticle. That is a damaging process and should be avoided except when absolutely necessary (as in chemical/color treatments.) The cuticule is designed to keep stuff OUT of the inner shaft and thus protect it. For this reason conditioning agents work primarily by coating the hair shaft, thus imparting a look and feel of healthy hair.

Secondly, you wouldn't want anything "displacing" the water in your hair, especially if it's dry and frizzy to begin with. Glycerin and other water-binding agents work by drawing moisture from the air INOT the hair. (Think of what happens when it's humid.) This plumps up the shaft somewhat but also keeps your hair from getting dry as straw. Removing that moisture would not be a good bet.

I would suggest diluting your favorite moisturizing conditioner with a lot of water (so that it's the consistency of milk.) Put it in a spray bottle and spritz it on dry hair as a leave-in conditioner. Also, have you consulted with a good stylist about a volume-reducing style/cut? Just a thought :-) Good luck!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
lemons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lemons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2003 at 3:23pm
Hi Lyris!

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad I asked before purchasing.

Have you ever tried, or do you have an opinion on the Phyto products? (Specifically their relaxer and products for relaxed hair). I've heard some good stuff about them, but haven't purchased yet because their not real easy to find.

OR, can you recommend a good relaxer for Caucasion, course, part curly, part strait hair?

I'm really glad I found this board. There are some GREAT people on it!

Kat
Kat
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2003 at 9:12pm
Hi,

I have the new Super Skinny Paul Mitchell line.

The PH is 5.5. There are no "Lauryls" in it.

I have played with it on two different thick coarse curly heads and WOW it did really great.

As far as the longevity of the product as far as what will happen after using it for some period of time, time will tell.

This line went on sale August 10.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2003 at 7:47am
LiliBeach, thanks for the pH testing and the ingredient info. If I find it on sale (and if it smells good!) I might try it. I'm not expecting to really do all the things the label promises but if it's a good emollient-based system it might be worth a shot.

Lemons, I wish I had more advice for you on relaxers! Unfortunately this is one thing I know nothing about. Perhaps someone else on the board can help you. Sophie and LiliBeach are both knowledgable stylists and might be able to give you some tips. As for Phyto, again, I haven't tried anything from their line so I can't give you an informed opinion. I hope you are enjoying your time at the site and learn lots. Welcome! :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Kgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2003 at 8:17am
Hi Lemons,

Try Frederic Fekkai Glossing Cream! This stuff costs a fortune at sephora.com ($18.50) but it smells SO nice and is great at making hair look shiny and sleek. It contains olive oil, so be careful you don't put too much on or you'll end up looking like a grease head. Also, I've found Sebastian Molding Mud works quite well to tame hair. This can be found at Ulta or Trade Secrets. HTH
laurelll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurelll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2003 at 4:15pm
Hi Lemons -

For a shampoo and conditioner, I would recommend Redken AllSoft. It really lives up to its name. I mix in a little detangling conditioner in to give it more slip, but I LOVE this stuff.

I used to have really coarse, sort of frizzy, sort of curly hair until I had it straightened and now it's soft, shiny and NEVER frizzes (well, the roots do a little, it's been 7 months!). I had Thermal Reconditioning (TR) and it was the best thing ever. It's expensive and it is absolutely crucial to go to an experienced stylist, but if your hair is as frustrating as mine - totally worth it.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2003 at 5:36pm
Let me cast another vote for All Soft. It is wondeful!
Kayelpe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayelpe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 8:47am
I recommend the Nature's Prescription Aloe Vera Hair Maintnenace System. It's an aloe vera based product line (not water based like 99% of other shampoos & conditioners). You should try the Complete Therapy Starter Kit which includes the MVP Formula Shampoo, Pro-Moist Mask I Conditioner & M.I.S.T. The M.I.S.T. is a daily moisturizing relpenisher. They also have a styling aid call Silky Control Cream for dry-coarse hair. You can get it online at www.naturceutics.com  
Kayelpe
sarahj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2007 at 10:45pm

I would try The UfaKtor Straight & Shiny shampoo and conditioner.It containes extracts of avocado, seaweed, thyme and juniper (just to mention a few).It will heal damaged hair while replenishing to give shine and  rid  hair of frizz! I would also recommend the deep penetrating as this is ideal for coarse, unruly, damaged, dry hair. your hair will feel so good after one use. trust me i know.and all the prodcuts smell so good mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm go to- www.theufaktor.com

sjxoxoxoxo
fashionista_15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fashionista_15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 4:46pm
Try using a good hair oil or serum to smooth out the wiry coarse hairs.  I have the same hair types & this works a treat!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic