Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Age Limits For Pixies?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Age Limits For Pixies?
    Posted: April 01 2003 at 6:04pm
Hi Hairguy00 & all,

Mia Farrow and Twiggy were pioneers in the Pixie world but over the years since the 60s the Pixie has been called the Crop and the Chop but basically is a super super short layered scalp hugging cut.

While I think this style looks great on people with wonderful cheekbones and pretty faces, I think the Pixie can negatively enhance large noses or other facial features. I also think that a Pixie doesn't look as good on older people since it accentuates the neck and chin.

What do you all think? If you think Pixies are OK on older women can you think of some examples?

Thanks in advance.
Karen Shelton
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2003 at 6:17pm
PS. Some people confuse a Pixie with a short bob.
Halle Berry with her short boy cut is definitely in Pixieland while Sharon Stone with her longer featured look is more like a short Bob.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
hairguy00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairguy00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2003 at 6:32pm
I really dont see any age limit on the cut, i think if you have the face to show it off, then more power to you

-HG
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2003 at 8:47pm
I agree with Hairguy.

I see both younger women and middle age and older women wearing pixies.

Either the look is for you or it isn't.
Lady Maria
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2003 at 9:34pm
Hi Hairguy & Lady Maria,

Well I agree that if you have the face and the style works for you age shouldn't be a factor but I am still wondering if you can think of some great celebrities with pixies that would be good hair role models for the style. I would love to see a good list started. I already mentioned Halle Berry but I guess Reba McEntire could be classified as a pixie wearer as could Selma Blair. Renee Zelleweger has had pixies before but she seems to be growing her hair into a longer pixie/short bob (and I think she looks fabulous in her current style IMHO).

So who else is on the Famous Pixie List?

Best wishes,
Karen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2003 at 10:32pm
I can name a few Karen that I would like on my list of women that look great in pixies.

Remember Janine Turner from the T.V. show set in Alaska called NORTHERN EXPOSURE? She had a great brunette pixie that suited her perfectly!

I also liked Sharon Stone and Winona Ryder when they wore their hair at it's shortest, pixie-like.

You already mentioned Halle Berry, what can you say, she is beautiful in short hair!

I like the actress Connie Neilsen's new short pixie too. She looks great wearing it!

Dolores O'Riordian the lady who is the lead singer of the Irish rock group THE CRANBERRIES, has had many styles from baldheaded to shoulder length hair but usually wears her hair in a short pixie . She looks wonderful in a pixie and they are a great rock group and she is quite a singer!

The Latin American actress Celeste Cid looks really great in a short brunette pixie! Nice to see more Latina women in Latin America and the U.S. wearing short pixies! I love the look and I love wearing my hair this way!

Lady Maria
Lilli View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 6:48am
Well I guess the new Celine Dion super short style is definitely a pixie. It is longer on top but very short on the sides so I think it would fall into pixie category. Also, Cameron Diaz had very short pixie hair for awhile and even Gwenyth Paltrow right after she broke up with Brad Pitt. Remember? Her hair was super short although it has been long for some time now.
sher122381 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sher122381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 12:27pm
I'm not a pixie person but I think Judi Dench(sp) looks beautiful with it and she's over 60
20/32/38.5
2C
Whatever you are, you are. Be
proud of it.
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 5:00am
I think I remember Glenn Close having it pixie-ish at one point, and it looked very sexy.
[/url]

loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2003 at 11:18pm
Jamie Lee Curtis and Miss Perky (a few years back) Katie Couric. And the beautiful South African bombshell (I can never remember her name) who had a short pixie in The Astronauts Wife. Oh yea, the brunette on Baywatch (sorry, I am bad with names) had a pixie for some of the run.
Stephanie Gold View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2003 at 12:01am
A yes, Charlize Theron. Her hair was stunning in the Astronaut''s Wife. They used wax to give it that super piecy look. I think that is one of the best film hairstyles I have ever seen her in.
SweetGeorgia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetGeorgia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2003 at 8:32pm
I actually think that Charlize looks better in short hair than shoulder length hair because of the shape of her face. Actually I think she looks stunning in either a short pixie like in the Astronaut's Wife or in much longer locks, below her shoulder. I think she could do long/short but not so much in between.
tony9999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony9999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2003 at 11:12pm
Although I may be in the minority I loved Liv Tyler's pixie a few years ago..

Josie Davis formerly of "Charles in Charge" wares her hair in a pixie that looks wonderful

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=josie+davis&btnG=Google+Search

Always like Shirley Jones in a pixie and she wore it into her 60's or later...

http://www.lifetimetv.com/images/shows/ip/portraits/ip_bio2_shjones.jpg

I agree with most of the posts If you have the face for it a pixie is ageless and beautiful at any age.
Change is good for the soul and fun to talk about!
Lilli View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2003 at 2:41am
I agree about Josie. Definitely looked good short.

I saw Pat Benatar tonite on Charmed and although she doesn't exactly have a pixie, she has a short bob w/ very long bangs. What is that style called? It looks good on her. I like her with lighter hair too.
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2003 at 10:11am
Wonder Woman jst got a pixie, and she's like 60 or 70!
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Melba View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2003 at 10:30am
There is that Wonder Woman again. They were writin plenty 'bout her on the celebrity board.
If Wonder woman is 70, how come she looks like a 35 year old?! They don't age much in the comic books do they!!!!!
Glad she went to a short hair look even if she is just a fictionial character.
Ya notice too how they give her bigger too. She's gettin ed up ain't she!!!!!
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2003 at 8:33am
I don't know if it is so much face shape or body shape that makes a pixie look good. I don't think they look good on very large women. Makes them look sort of like a pin head. There is something sort of waifish about a small girl with a pixie that is very attractive. Somehow I can't picture Cameron Manheim (who looks very good with her long hair) wearing one.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2003 at 9:28pm
Well...Strangely enough... I think the name says it all. Pixie....if you can imagine the person flittering about in a little outfit like tinkerbell (halle, winona, charlize - yes), then I guess they are themselves pixieish and therefore, befitting of the trademark hairstyle!!

jacqui

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2003 at 9:41pm
I'm not a very big woman and I wear a pixie but a "tinkerbell outfit"? I don't think so.
Lady Maria
Karla Kat View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karla Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2003 at 12:14am
Well if Lara Flynn Boyle (who often has short cuts even though she is longer now) can wear a ballerina outfit to the Golden Globes don't be surprised to see a Celeb in a Tinkerbell outfit. It just could happen. LOL.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic