Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How long you had short hair???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Melba View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How long you had short hair???
    Posted: April 01 2003 at 8:02pm
I hate to admit I'm pushin mid-fourties. I have had short hair for over twenty years. I usually wear a short natural afro.
Anyone,how long y'all had short hair?
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2003 at 9:05pm
I'm in my late 20s and have worn my hair short for a little over a year.

I went from waist length hair, then to a medium/short bob cut, then eventually to a short pixie.

I'm keeping it short. I like the look and my fiancee likes the look on me, and it is so easy to care of!

I go to my beautician once a month to keep it trimmed short and neat. I always had long hair and never knew I would like wearing short hair so much but I do!
Lady Maria
pixiestix View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixiestix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 12:14am
im 22. ive had my hair short for about 4 years. after high school i decided i wanted a change. i had never had it shorter than mid back. i cut it from just above my waist to just over the shoulders. i the tried a buzz back. didnt like it. for about a year and a half ive had a chin length bob.
sistagirl View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sistagirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 6:31am
I have had my hair short for all my life because of brreakage. I am an african american. And now I am tryin to grow my hair by using briads.
Twanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 9:14am
It''s fun to read about hair in the HairBoutique forum. I had short hair for 3 years, starting with a shoulder length shag and finally ending with an over the ear, spiky top short crop. I loved my short hair, but I wanted a change and am now back to a shoulder length slightly layered cut. I''m growing it out until Dec. when I will turn 40, then who knows?

Twanda
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2003 at 4:59am
Another stale old topic I'm answering. *laughs*
I've had short hair off and on over the last half of my life. I first got it short just before high school, because I managed to get to a salon without the maternal unit in tow *laughs* which meant I could do it without her pressure or scolding, and by the time she saw it was too late to prevent it :-) . Since then, only if I get really lazy does it ever get really long anymore, and sometimes it's kind of long for a while because I tend to recover from really long by having a bob for a while before going back actually short. I'd like to say it won't ever get really long again, but it might, if I get lazy again. Hopefully it won't come to that, though, as I thoroughly hate the way I look in long hair :-P . You know the way I complain long hair tends to look flat, bad, and stringy? Well if I'm in long hair, I look like the flat, bad, and stringy poster child :-P . Ugh :-P .
More awesome than a manatee!
Twanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2003 at 9:42am
You're right this is somewhat of an older post. When I last posted I was growing my hair out for a change. But, growing my hair out practically drove me crazy. It was fine until it got slightly past my shoulders and it started clinging to my neck and clinging to my head too (baby fine hair likes to be close). So I'm back to a short pixie again, no spiky top this time though.

Twanda
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2003 at 10:22pm
Great Twanda. I'm pleased you have joined our short haired ladies group again.
I wear my hair in a short pixie too, also not spiky.
tina
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2003 at 3:57pm
Mine has been short for almost 6 years. I tried to grow it to close to shoulder length but just couldn't stand it. I know what you mean about fine hair wanting to get close and also being stringy and flat when it is long. Short is me for the time being.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
nwhorselady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwhorselady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2003 at 2:57am
Well... LOL... My hair has been short less than a month :) but I love it. I couldn't go back to the stylist, had too much to do at home, but am hoping that I can manage to do that before my birthday coming Thursday!
My hair has been long, passed my waist, for as long as I remember. It never bothered me when I had a horse in younger years, but now... it's just a hassle getting the long hair washed, so off it went.
Took me some time to muster up the guts :)
But I did and am contemplating going even shorter!!
Dagmar
BaldJasmine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2003 at 7:58pm
Hello Melba and everyone. I am also African-American and I too wear a short afro.
I have had short hair since college, for over 15 years. I really haven't grown it out much since then and never really desired to since my husband likes me just fine with my hair the way it is.
In college I shaved my head and wore it that way for nearly two years, hence the nickname I aquired then; BaldJasmine.
No one calls me that now though except a few old college friends of mine.
I thought it would be a good nickname for the board here, just in case there was another Jasmine writing on here. Jasmine is a common name, at least it is in the African-American community.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2003 at 9:22pm
I love those short afros on African American women. I think they just look so elegant and beautiful. And I am sure they are easy to care for which is always a bonus.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2003 at 1:58am
*nods* But I wonder if people think it looks matronly or something? I see that style a lot more often on older women than younger. Not a problem, since it does look stunning in grey, just something I wonder.

Originally posted by demodoll demodoll wrote:

I love those short afros on African American women. I think they just look so elegant and beautiful. And I am sure they are easy to care for which is always a bonus.
More awesome than a manatee!
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2003 at 2:18am
You do see short afros on middle-aged Black women more than on young Black women in their twenties, but when you do see an attractive young Black woman with a short afro she usually looks very good!

Especially when they wear big hoop earrings like some Black ladies wear.
tina
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2003 at 2:18am
You do see short afros on middle-aged Black women more than on young Black women in their twenties, but when you do see an attractive young Black woman with a short afro she usually looks very good!

Especially when they wear big hoop earrings like some Black ladies wear.
tina
Brent E. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2003 at 6:39pm
I certainly agree.
Short afros look great on African-American women.
bronnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2003 at 5:15pm
I hesitate to post this because I don't want to come across as a racist but I think it is worth discussing. I'm just trying to add to a thought provoking discussion so please don't take offense.

I know there are people who read this board that like bald women but I don't consider myself one of them . . . for the most part. The exception for me is that I think some of the African women that shave their heads (I think it is traditional?) look elegant, strong and quite stunning. Somehow bald white women mostly look like cancer patients to me. I'm not comfortable with this double standard but there it is. Does anyone agree or have an explanation?
Brent E. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2003 at 6:55pm
Most people I know that find women with short hair attractive also like some women,( black, white,or Asian,etc.) who are bald.
You notice I said some women. Some women look stunning bald. Others not so good bald.
There is a centuries old tradition in Africa of some women shaving their heads bald but personally I don't think race matters. A beautiful women who looks good bald will look good regardless of her complexion or race.

As far as light skinned bald women looking like cancer patients: That is your own hangup. I don't see it that way.

If I see a healthy light skinned woman who happens to be bald, which I've seen a number of times : at nightclubs, rock concerts, places artists hang out,etc.:, I just see an attractive, healthy woman.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2003 at 9:47pm
I don't think race matters either.

Either the lady looks good bald or she doesn't.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2003 at 9:47pm
I don't think race matters either.

Either the lady looks good bald or she doesn't.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic