Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Whats your favorite short style?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
hairguy00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairguy00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats your favorite short style?
    Posted: April 01 2003 at 9:19pm
Hey all,
Whats your favorite short hairstyle? i personally love a short bob on a woman

-HG
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2003 at 9:38pm
Well of course I have had very very long hair now for ions but in the old days when I had short hair (I actually had short hair in high school and for a while in college) I absolutely adored the long shags like the one that Jane Fonda made famous in Klute and recently were very popular although a bit shaggier than Jane's original shaggy look. Cate Blanchette has a longish bob/shag right now that is very cute. She wore it with the ends flicked out for the recent 2003 Golden Globes. Did anyone see that look on her? Very flattering to her eyes and face.

Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
MightyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MightyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2003 at 11:38pm
I like any style that shows off a lovely neck, but my favorite has to be the inverted bob with a buzzed (about 1/4") nape. Absolutely beautiful!
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 9:18am
I like the inverted bob too but without the buzzed nape (at least on older women like me). I have a version of that right now but as my hair is very fine and I am growing out layers, it doesn't look quite right yet. The sides should be pretty much one length for it to look right IMHO.
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 6:09pm
I like many short styles on women.

I always admired women who wore their hair short and wanted to cut my long hair. I finally did it!

I went first to a bob cut medium/short. I still love various types and lengths of bob cuts and think they look great but I went much shorter to a short pixie. I love the look!

I wish though they would come up with another name for a pixie. The name pixie sounds sort of silly.

I wonder if there is another name that people use to describe the pixie look?
Lady Maria
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 7:26pm
Hi,

Some call it a "crop" or a "chop" rather than a pixie. I talked to Celine Dion's hairstylist who did her recent short style and he referred to it as a pixie/crop or simply a crop. I agree that sounds better than pixie.

Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 9:01pm
Karen,

I, of course, have heard the term "crop" too.

However when you think of a woman who gets a "crop" hairstyle you usually think of a very short hairstyle that is longer than a buzzcut but shorter than your usual pixie.

A crop is usually like a female crewcut of sorts. Like Sinead O'Conner's hair after she grew it out from a buzzcut. Or Mia Farrow's original pixie in the older movies back in the 60s was so short it could be considered a "crop". Jada Pinkett's short style is another example. And Halle Berry's hair when she is wearing it very short could be considered a "crop".

Shorter pixies like I wear could also be refered to as a "crop".
As in "She wears her hair in a short pixie or a short cropped hairstyle".

A "crop" is basically a slightly overgrown, female crewcut.

Or in other words a short-styled pixie crewcut .

That is a "crop".

To me that is what I understand a crop to be from talking with people and reading about "crops" on the internet and in fashion magazines.
Lady Maria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 11:09pm
You know Celine Dion's hairstylest?
I can only guess what he/she charges for a haircut and style!
Lady Maria
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 9:27am
Hi Lady M,

Yes, I know Celine's hairstylist. His name is Ken Paves and he is a doll. He also does hair for JLo, Lara Flynn Boyle, Jessica Simpson, Pam Anderson, Carmen Electra, etc etc (he just finished working w/ Pam Anderson her for 4 days in Palms Springs). Ken gave me a phone interview about Celine's new cut and explained in detailed why/how it came about and what products she uses. I have to write it up and as soon as he signs off, I will publish it here at HairBoutique.com. As far as what he charges I have no earthly idea but I think I will try to see if I can get an idea what celebrity stylists charge...in general.

I do know that when Mia Farrow had her hair from waist length to "pixie" back for Rosemary's Baby her movie studio paid Vidal Sassoon $3,000 for the cut. The reason I know is that I know the hairdresser who was Vidal's assistant at the time and he was standing right there with the scissors next to Vidal and behind Mia. :-) It was also in the newspapers that Mia's studio paid Vidal Sassoon 3 grand for the chop. :-)

I know that to have your hair cut by Sally Hershberger (Meg Ryan's stylist) you can plan on spending in the hundreds for the cut.

A lot depends on if you go to their salon (Ken did Celine's hair in Las Vegas and he lives in LA so he had to fly there) and whether your studio or other production company is picking up the tab and other assorted issues.

I actually met Ken Paves at a photo shoot for Seventeen Magazine and he was there from LA to do Jessica Simpson's hair for the photo shoot. In cases like that the magazine will pick up the tab for hair and makeup.

Again, it all depends on a variety of circumstances. :-)

Thanks for all your great posts on the board. I am enjoying your comments.

Best wishes,
Karen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 10:31pm
Thanks for the information and the compliment Karen!
And I enjoy HAIR TALK! So thank you!
Lady Maria
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2003 at 11:27pm
Hard to choose just one. Different styles look good on different people. Right now, I am "into" the "wild flippy" look that is around chin length or a little shorter. I also like a chin length bob with short bangs. Pixies are also good but I think you have to have the right face to pull those off.

As an offshoot, what do people consider short?
I always thought that short hair was chin length or shorter, mid - length was chin to shoulder, and long was past the shoulders.
Brent E. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2003 at 1:29pm
What is my favorite short hairstyle on a woman?
The obvious answer is the style that works for her.
But really, I like most short styles on the ladies.

Short pixies and crops of every description
Short bob cuts
short permed and waved styles
crewcuts, flatops, buzzcuts and shaved heads
Love all of these short styles on women.

I like a variety of longer hair styles as well but generally prefer shorter styles on women:
Luckily I have a wife that agrees!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2003 at 8:24pm
Good for you Brent! I'm glad you like short hairstyles on women!
Lady Maria
Melba View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2003 at 6:43pm
YOU ARE THE MAN BRENT!!!!!

The short hairdo I like best is what I wear, a short afro!!!!! At least on a black woman.
I really like any short style that looks good on the particular woman. Otherwise why wear it?????!!!!!
aimee View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2003 at 11:16pm
ive had a number of both short and long styles.
my favorite short style is a jaw length bob.
i dont like the buzzcut
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2003 at 9:40pm
What would you call Shirley Manson's hairstyle? She is the lead singer from Garbage. I have seen her in ads for Glam with Elton John and Lil Kim. Is it a crop? I think it looks great on her.

I love pixies and bobs to the chin that have a bit of a chop to the ends to that they flip out a bit.

jacqui
~QueenzBalla~ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ~QueenzBalla~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2004 at 9:43pm
I think everyone on here whos seen most of my posts then they answer your question of "whats my favorite short hairstyle" right there but if u didnt already know favorite short cu sof course the short above the ears bob with the 2 long pieces of hair hanging down both sides of her face like she wore 4 the photos (including the front and back covers) of TLC's CrazySexyCool album.Now thats a cute cut,actually i'm getting my hair cut like that 2 4 the summer when i play basketball and so it wouldnt be in my way during a game because im about 2 be on my high school basketball team,and hopefully taking off from there playing through college and maybe even making it 2 the WNBA (my biggest dream).
---------->I love<3 this game!
pixie lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixie lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2004 at 9:32pm
So go ahead and get the short haircut Queenz!
pixie lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixie lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2004 at 9:32pm
So go ahead and get the short haircut Queenz!
IfOnly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IfOnly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2004 at 3:44pm
Wow, where do you begin? There are so many wonderful short hair styles. My favorite hairstyle at the moment would have to be the short pixie. However there are several styles that I like nearly as well they often jocky for first position.

The short crop/bob (top of the ear) that was so popular in the early and mid 90's is one of my all-time favorites, like Chynna Phillips of Wilson/Phillips or Demi Moore in Ghost, or Halle Berry in the movie Boomerang (WOW!). A lot of actresses had that style in that time period as well but few kept it for any time but that was a time period when I was in heaven because short hair was incredibly popular.

I am a true believer that bobbed hair is a timeless classic and never ever boring. A lip-length to jaw-length bob angled from back to front is right up there on my list! If the ear lobes peak out a bit, all the better! Napes are so appealing under the back of a bob if the nape hair shaped in a nice little wedge or even clipped short. Add short bangs cut straight across with razored texturing to mix it up.

And who can forget Dorothy Hamill with her short wedge hairstyle. She was so appealing! She has consistenty worn her hair in a variety of short appealing hairstyles ever since as well!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic