Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How often do you have to get your hair cut?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How often do you have to get your hair cut?
    Posted: April 03 2003 at 5:03am
I'm a long-haired person who is interested in many hair topics, including this one.

One of the things that most intrigues me about short hair is how often it needs to be cut--I know in some cases, it could be as often as every three weeks! So I was wondering how often you all have to get your hair trimmed to maintain your styles. Thanks.

I would also love to see some pictures if anyone is willing to post them.

Who knows, perhaps someday I will join you all!
[/url]

Melba View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 3:36pm
You got it! Every three weeks I have my twa trimmed. I like to keep it very short close to the head. I used to go to a male barber but now I go to a lady beautician. I like chattin with the women at the salon.
Melba View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 3:38pm
If you aren't an African-American, twa means a teeney -weeney afro, the short close to the head look.
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 7:09pm
Is a 1/2 inch buzzcut the same as a small afro? I am white and wear my hair short and was just wondering! Thanks! Debbie
There is more to life than hair...Come on---Go get a life!!!!!!!
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 7:09pm
Is a 1/2 inch buzzcut the same as a small afro? I am white and wear my hair short and was just wondering! Thanks! Debbie
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 7:12pm
I didnot mean to post so many times---I am sorry! Debbie
Melba View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 8:00pm
Yes Debbie. A twa is a close to the head crop. like a buzzcut. Mine is 1/4 of an inch or so long, close to the head. I have had my hair short for over 20 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A long time.
I'm used to it and I would not go back to longer! I like it this way!!!!
I keep it trimmed at that length, that's why I do go every three weeks to the beauty parlor.I like that close cropped look girl! You must like it too huh?!
..I like to wear different styles of ear rings with the look. Good to wear a nice necklace too or a scarf, and I never go out to work or play without my makeup. I feel pretty near naked without jewelry and makeup on.
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 8:09pm
I love it! It is so easy to care for. Just wash and go!!!! Thanks for the reply! Debbie
Joee View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 8:49pm
I'm a shoulder length chicken, I must admit. I nudge everyone else I know into getting their hair cut short, but I never do. I love the look when it is just above the ear, short layers, looking like every hair is in place. However, once in the chair, I say, two inches or, just the ends. Then I fret if people notice I cut it. I know. Weird.
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 10:26pm
I wear a short pixie and go for a trim once a month on average.
Lady Maria
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2003 at 1:34pm
I wear an inverted bob, almost chin length and get it trimmed every five to six weeks, mainly because I am growing out layers. Normally it would be every couple of months. I like a crisp, neat look.

I even trimmed it every eight weeks when it was long because I couldn't stand that ragged, uneven look it got when I went longer than that. My daughter has very long hair and gets 1/4" trimmed off every six to eight weeks too. We have straight hair though. I guess with curly hair the raggedy look wouldn't happen so fast.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 5:17pm
even though i have long hair i have bangs. i like the a little above my eyebrows. i have to cut them ever other week to keep it up. at times i let them grow and just spray them back.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 10:22pm
When I wore my hair long I had bangs too and to me it was very annoying to have my bangs so long that my hair got in my eyes. I allways trimmed my bangs so that wouldn't happen and you are right if you don't trim your bangs every couple of weeks or so it becomes annoying.

It also looks silly if bangs are cut too short, it looks too girlish,so you have to keep the bangs just the right length.

I don't need to worry about that now though with my short pixie/crop. I just go to my beauty salon once a month and don't even worry about it!
Lady Maria
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 11:52am
It sounds as though having short hair is, in the end, more expensive than having long hair. Even if they do charge double for haircuts on long hair!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 5:59pm
The cost of short hairstyles?

It depends what you have done to your long or short hair. I don't have my hair colored or permed so I just pay for a trim.

When I had real long hair though, past my waist, I often didn't go to the salon at all, I usually just had someone I knew trim the ends of my hair once in a while. If a woman has her long hair colored or permed, which I didn't do, I would imagine it could get quite expensive.

A really expensive short style would be a very short platinum crewcut like Susan Powter used to wear. I have known women who have naturally darker hair who have gone to a very short platinum crop and because the roots show so quickly, in order to keep the hair that short and that color, without the hideous look of dark roots showing from the blonde crop, these women have to go to the beauty salon every two to three weeks to have their hair cut and touched up. That gets expensive!

I would actually like to try a very short platinum crewcut/buzzcut like Susan Powter had, I love that look, but it would just be too expensive to take care of, and it would take some guts to go that short. My hair is so short as it is.

Still it is an alluring hairstyle.
Lady Maria
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 8:11pm
That's sort of what I meant. When my hair was very long, I never went to the salon at all, trimming only at home. So I saved a ton of money, vs. people who need haircuts at the salon every four or six weeks.

You're right about long hair and color though, I had not been thinking of color. Most of the salons around here charge double for long hair, for needing two tubes/bottles whatever--making a $50 color service $100. Yet another reason I color at home.

I'd love to see some pics of your hair, LadyMaria :)
[/url]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 8:36pm
I don't have computer equipment that can show pics and have never done that. I really should get the equipment and learn how to do it.

Good topic Ellisa thanks.
Lady Maria
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2003 at 5:01pm
This question came up in the "from the past," and I thought it was interesting. As a guy with short hair, I get it cut every six weeks. My hair is pretty short for a guy, although not that short. I could probably go two months between cuts and it would still look good.

Short hair is more expensive than long hair at the salon, although probably marginally. We may go eight times to long-haired people's four, but they charge $15 more per visit and probably twice as much for color.

If money is a big deal, do everything at home. Isn't it just like buying clothes or jewelry though? As a guy, I don't spend a lot on that.

I like getting my hair cut because it looks a lot better after she does it. I feel pretty good for a week or two. People with long hair don't get that.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2003 at 4:46am
Most of the time I do my own hair, unless I want a style that's too hard for me to do on my own. It makes me nervous when strangers touch my hair. *laughs* When I trim isn't on a set schedule, though. It's just when I look in the mirror and think it's getting too long, whether that's four weeks after I last trimmed it or eight. *shrugs*
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic