Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Are Some Face Shapes More Supportive Of Short Hair?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are Some Face Shapes More Supportive Of Short Hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are Some Face Shapes More Supportive Of Short Hair?
    Posted: April 04 2003 at 9:49am
Hi,

One question I get asked all the time via email is what is the best face shape to wear super short hair...like the pixie/crop. Of course there should never be any ironclad rules about how anyone wears their hair, as long as they love it and feel confident in it, but some people still want to know the general suggestions.

Most stylists will tend to recommend the super short cuts (crop/pixie/chop) for people with oval faces and good cheekbones & eyes. Halle Berry has a wonderful oval face with big eyes and good cheekbones and of course she looks stunning in her super short cap of soft curls and spikes.

Many stylists will also say that people with heart shaped faces (Reese Witherspoon) and people with some oblong shapes look good in short hair, as a general rule of thumb.

Short hair can look great on just about any face shape but for some shapes like strong squares with prominent square jaws, short hair should be worn a little longer than a pixie or cut in a shaggy style to help soften the jaw area and de-emphasize the blockiness that the chin can take on.

Round faces can also benefit from short looks that have longer pieces around the chin area.

Long thin faces can look great in styles that add width along the sides such as a fuller bob or a shaggy cut.

Please share your own thoughts on the short styles that you love on various face shapes.

Karen

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Melba View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2003 at 10:54am
I agree with you Karen. The oval face and good cheekbones and features makes short hair better. If you have pretty eyes and wear makeup that helps also. You should also accesorize proper. Like a nice pair of ear rings.
Skinny faces or faces that are too fat might not look as good in a short crop style.
Stephanie Gold View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2003 at 11:09pm
Great advice. Unfortunately I did not see it before I cut my hair into a super short look and then realized my face was much more square than I had imagined. It has finally grown to my shoulders and I am going to stick with a bob from now on.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2003 at 8:37am
Stephanie, I had the exact same thing happen to me. Everyone kept after me to cut my fine, hard to deal with hair very short. I finally did and there was this very square jaw that really looked better hidden by a bob. I am trying to grow it out (with limited success) because I want my bob back. I wonder why hairdressers will let you do that. Mine was very enthusiastic about cutting my hair off but the result was NOT better.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Brent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2003 at 8:05pm
I'm sure some women do have facial features better designed for short hair than other women do.
In my opinion, if a woman can wear short hair and look good with it she should:- Why not, women are so very attractive in sexy short hairdos!
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2003 at 7:14pm
Hi Brent,

I agree with you about people wearing their hair short if they like it that way. I think though that some people get bum advice from others on what looks good on them.

Regardless, I think everyone should select a hairstyle, whether super short or long, that works best for their lifestyle, face shape and overall appearance. I really do not look good in short hair and I think that some people don't either. Reese Witherspoon is as cute as a button but she has a very prominent chin so I think she should wear it longer.

Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2003 at 12:18pm
Karen...what happens when your Hair type, face type and lifestyle don't jibe at all with each other?

For example, me! I have very thick slightly wavy hair. it does not look good in any type of medium cut becasue it is so thick it puffs out. So I am stuck with either very long or very short. Well, I have a square jaw, so really short doesn't work. I also have 4 small children and am so busy most of the time that i have my hair up in a tail for weeks and weeks, never having time to even look at it much less do anything to it but wash it, let it dry and put it back up.

Anyway...my question is...which is more important? Lifestyle, hairtype or face shape? Should I wear short hair even if it doen't look good on me, but is easy? Or shoule I have it really long, but never have time to enjoy it?

This is a philosophical question by the way....I am a long haired girl through and through. Just want to know how others feel about this dilemma and am wondering if anyone else experiences this.

Jacqui
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2003 at 12:44am
What makes you think short hair wouldn't look good on you Jacqui?

Maybe you just need to find the right short hair style!

Check with a good beautician, maybe a good salon could suggest a short style that would look good on you Jacqui!
Lady Maria
Brent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2003 at 7:11pm
Jacqui:
Are there any salons near you that have those Virtual Imaging machines. You could see what you look like in literally dozens of short hairdos!!!
Check around with the Yellow Pages in your area and see if you can't find a beauty shop with such a machine!!!
Good luck young lady!!!!!
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2003 at 8:12pm
Good idea Brent!
Lady Maria
Brent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2003 at 11:45am
Thanks Maria.
Of course it is a good idea.
What does Jacqui think of this idea, that is my question.
Well Jacqui?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2003 at 9:58pm
Brent and Maria - thanks so much for hopping in and giving me your support. I will try and scan some images in so that i can get yours (and anyone else who wants to!) feedback. I have had short hair in the past and long. I am going to look into the imaging - that does sound like fun!

Thanks

jacqui
~QueenzBalla~ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ~QueenzBalla~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2004 at 5:14pm
Yeah your face shape does have alot 2 do with wether u should get a really short cut.Also the shape of your head because theres nothing like seeing somebody bald with a knotty looking head.
---------->I love<3 this game!
IfOnly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IfOnly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2004 at 3:25pm
In my opinion the face shape thing should be a general guideline only, personally I find strong jaw lines on a woman very attractive when exposed by short hair.

Think of this way, women (and men for that matter) who have long hair invariably wear it in a pony tail or back in a clip a good portion of the time, and this includes all the face shapes that are warned to stay away from short hair. If you think you look alright with your hair pulled back ina pony tail, well you would look fine in a short hair cut as well.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2004 at 12:24am
It's more about a person's perceptions rather than hard and fast rules, I think. If someone thinks their face is too round or their jaw too square or whatever, that's what they'll obsess over every time they look in the mirror. People like that might need a haircut that covers or draws attention away from those perceived flaws, just so they'll feel better about themselves. But if someone is fine with their face the way it is and has no problem showing it off, then good for them.
Anyway, no matter what the magazines say, there's a short haircut that'll look good on anyone regardless of height, weight, face shape, or any other restrictions people try to tack on. It just might take some time and experimentation to find the best one for the individual, that's all.
More awesome than a manatee!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2004 at 7:16am
Hey I just saw a picture of someone who chose to wear really short hair with a really strong jawline and it looks great!! Rumer Willis...daughter of Demi Moore and Bruce Willis. If you haven't seen her befoer, check out some pictures from around the Time Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle came out.
I think she looks cute. She manages to break the rule about not being able to wear your hair really short with a full face.Just my opinion. Anyone else agree? Disagree?

Jacqui
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2004 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Kuroneko Kuroneko wrote:

It's more about a person's perceptions rather than hard and fast rules, I think.

Originally posted by Kuroneko also Kuroneko also wrote:

Anyway, no matter what the magazines say, there's a short haircut that'll look good on anyone regardless of height, weight, face shape, or any other restrictions people try to tack on.

Kinda contradicting yourself, aren't ya? To say that there is a short cut that'll look good on anyone depends on who is defining "good". You, yourself said that it's based on a person's perception of themself, which is fine. Simply means everyone wouldn't agree with you or them.

For example, if I said that I thought your short style was flattering on you, you would agree with me. If I said it wasn't, then you'd say that's just my opinion and that I'm wrong. Based on your past posts, I know that you believe all women look better with short hair and that long hair is inconvenient, unnecessary and unattractive. From my posts, you probably know that I evaluate the style based on each individual, not with a blanket solution for everyone. So, it's hard to put a lot of weight behind your statement that everyone can wear short hair, especially given your personal inclination toward that style. Not that it's wrong that you should have that preference, but it does skew the advice.

Anyway, my only point here is that, as a general rule of thumb, what Karen wrote way back last year is correct.

JF
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2004 at 1:41am
*shrugs* I don't mean to define what's good or bad, just I think women don't try hard enough to find a good short haircut. They'll try one style one time and if they don't like the way that one looks on them, they conclude they just don't look good in short hair, as if that one style they tried is the only one that exists. I think if they would try other styles rather than trying just one and dismissing the rest, or even worse, refusing to try any at all, they would find one they liked.
Yes, I do have a grudge against long hair, and I do think any woman can be made to look better with a good short haircut, but considering most of the people on these forums seem to think the totally opposite way, I think people like me are healthy and needed just as a contrast. Can't let the long-hairs and their fetishists run the place entirely, can we? *laughs*
pixie lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixie lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2004 at 11:14pm
On the celebrity board, most of the men who post there like it when female celebrities get short hairstyles, that's why poor old Gord gets such a bad time from so many people!
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2004 at 12:56am
I thought he just got a hard time because he's extreme even for a long-hair fetishist.
But I think there are weird/scary extremists in all fetishes. I know some of the short-hair fetishists I've met in various places OL scare me a bit, and I'm supposed to be on the same side as them. . .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic