Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Want short hair but...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TL View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Want short hair but...
    Posted: April 13 2003 at 6:55pm
My hair is below my shoulders. I have a very busy life and would love to a "wash and wear" hairstylye and believe I have the features to pull it off.

However, I have a phobia of getting it cut short because my mother used to make me cut it short when I was a kid (up till around 12 or 13) and I hated it.

Has anyone else had a background like this? How did you deal with it?

TL
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2003 at 9:15pm
I had the opposite problem. My traditional Mexican-American family wanted me to keep my hair long and I really wanted to go with a short crop.

You have to decide for yourself you can't let your folks or how you were raised determine how you do things today as a grownup.

Get a hairstyle that you look good in and enjoy. If that is a short style, all the better!
Lady Maria
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 11:46am
TL - I had the same sort of thing too. My mom used to cut mine short. It wasn't until hight school that i grew it out (finally) and have had a tough time with the issue of my hair since. I grow it out, cut it short - feel insecure with it that way and grow it out again.

You need to decide how much of "you" is identified by your hair. If you feel that you can feel good with it that way. Tahn go for it! Let go of the past. You are no longer that 12 year old. You are a grown up with completely different facial structure and style.

If you do identify a lot of yourself with your hair, then you may need to work through why that is before making any drastic hair changes. That is wherem I am. I am currently on the grow.....but trying to find out what my reasons are.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

jacqui

Isla Q. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isla Q. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 1:19pm
That's good advice, you guys!
Isn't it strange how things you're dealing with now often take you back to your childhood when you think about it.
Like Jacqui said, TL, you're no longer that 12 year old, you're an adult now, who can make her own decisions.

Hope you work it out, and that whatever you decide makes you happy. Good luck!
hairguy00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairguy00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 12:50am
jennifer...
I find that remark about wash and wear hair offensive. You can still have wash and wear hair and look like a female. Please keep you rude comments to your self. We have many women on this board who have wash and wear styles and im sure they still look like a woman. Oh yea, by the way not all wash and wear styles are "absolutely short " , it really depends on the way your hair is and how you want to style it...
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 5:56am
Hairguy, Thank you.

Almost everything Jennifer says about short hair is condescending. She is obviously looking to pick fights with people. She claims she is just being "honest" but she really is just looking to be a "spoiler" on this board.

I have noticed she is doing the same thing on other boards with other people. Monica was attempting to give advice about breast implants for those interested in such a thing on another board, and Jennifer picked a fight with her about it and wouldn't drop the subject once Monica explained her point of view, she continued to give her a bad time.
Jennifer has done this sort of thing on other boards too.
She is a bitter person and a "know-it-all" who is very rude to nice people on this website. She justifies her rude manners and her condescending attitude toward others by saying she is just being "honest" about how she feels. But obviously she is a troublemaker looking to cause fights. It wouldn't surprise me if she is a "troll" looking to cause trouble. A person can make their points without being rude and condescending to others who are sincere people trying to get along with others.
tina
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 6:58am
Thanks for the valuable gossip, Tina. You're committing the same offense for which you accuse me! You can interpret my posts any way you choose, but you're putting words in my mouth that were not uttered by me.

You may want to look in the mirror before you start personal attacks.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 7:11am
Hairguy said you were rude to people and you are.

It isn't necessary to be brutally honest at all times.

Obviously, unless you are stupid or rude, you don't go on a short hair board where women and men enjoy short hair and are attempting to discuss different short haired styles, and then insult women with short hair styles and refer to those styles as "unfeminine". Some women, as pointed out, look very feminine in "wash and wear" short styles.

I agree with Hairguy, you don't need to be as rude to people as you are.

And lay off Monica on the other board. She is a sweetheart. We have already gotten your point that you don't agree with breast implants.
tina
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 7:19am
Tina, I suggest you take a reading comprehension course. You even changed hairguy's words around!

Kindly keep the personal attacks to yourself. Unless you're a troll, that is.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 7:25am
I quote.
Hairguy said to you, "Jennifer I find your remarks offensive" and"Please keep your rude comments to yourself".
That's pretty clear, and I agree with him.

tina
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 7:30am
Actually he said "your remarks about wash and wear hair" that he found offensive.

But what's up with you girl. Why do you feel the constant need to lecture everyone? What makes you think you know everything? What makes you think you know so much more than everyone else?

Most of us are trying to enjoy ourselves a little here. Lighten up a little.
tina
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 7:33am
You always have to have to last word, I've noticed. It will be yours.

Kindly stop with the personal attacks and gossip. They have no place on these forums.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 7:44am
You are right I get the last word.
Relax girl, lighten up a little!
tina
hairguy00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairguy00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 10:03am
its funny how hypocritical people can be, calling other people gossips when they themselves are the true gossips. Tina M, thank you for pointing out to me, i want you to know i had you in mind when i first replied to this post. Jennifer, im going to give you a little advice my kindergarden teacher offered me many years ago...if you have nothing nice to say then dont say it at all...

-HG
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 11:21am
It's unfortunate that you're overly sensitive and took offense on my comments.

However, what on earth type of gossip did I perpetuate?

It's too bad that endorsed Tina's personal attack on me at the same time you called me hypocritical. If that's the way you plan to moderate the forum, I'll step out of your way.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 11:28am
You are doing a great job Hairguy at monitoring this board, and keeping it respectful and enjoyable for those of us that enjoy short hair for women and consider it feminine. Thank you.

Don't let Jennifer get to you, we know by now her agenda.

Thanks again Hairguy!.
tina
hairguy00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairguy00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 11:29am
the attack was started by you against short hair in general...
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 11:32am
You are right Hairguy, obviously she was attacking short hair, you had a right to do what you did.
tina
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 11:38am
I didn't start an attack on anyone (although one was certainly started on me).

But since you deleted my comments, no one can see that.

Sorry to disappoint you, Tina, but I have no agenda. You may give your opinion, but your opinion is not fact (nor are anyone else's opinions).

I've been registered here for years (and posted even when another forum software was used) and notice that both hairguy and Tina are new posters. I sincerely hope you both don't take so much of what is written personally.

An interesting slogan is "Attack the idea, not the person or personality."

I think it's wise.
hairguy00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairguy00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 11:49am
jennifer,
i may not have posted as much as you but i too remember the old software, though i was not registered then. i choose not to post much because i think if i would the board would seemed a little forced. Jennifer, i do not endorse any attacks on any members nor would i attack a member myself but when somebody comes onto my board and starts to trash and talk bad about the hairstyles people on this board wear i find it hard not to act against this person. I am going to ask you to please refrain from posting on this board any longer unless your comments will be helpful to the board and its wonderful members.

-HG
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic