Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why Do Brides Cut Their Hair After Their Weddings?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why Do Brides Cut Their Hair After Their Weddings?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why Do Brides Cut Their Hair After Their Weddings?
    Posted: June 18 2003 at 7:59pm
Lyris your friend doesn't sound like she went to a short hairstyle, more like super long to quite long.

When I was a teenager before I went to a short hairstyle I had hair that went well past my waist. With hair that long IT IS alot of work to do many updos! The ideal length for updos is probably mid-back length or maybe even a little shorter than that.

That is one of the advantages of having short hair;..... you show off your neck, face, jewelry, earrings and your feminine features everyday as if you are wearing an updo!
tina
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 1:31pm
I know someone who cut her hair BEFORE the wedding. She had beautiful hair all the way down her back and apparently the updo she wanted wouldn't accomodate all that hair. So she had nine inches taken off! A lot of hair yet hers was so long you really wouldn't know unless you were observant. Her hair looked great on the wedding day and probably has since grown back to its original lengthy length.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
rrobey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrobey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2003 at 1:42pm
Speaking as someone that cut their hair after having a baby (almost 5 yrs ago now... time really does fly!) I did it because I wanted a change. I had been fat and pregnent for so long and was tired of how I looked. I just wanted to feel attractive again. I knew it was going to take some time to get my figure completely back and cutting my hair was faster and simpler.
ssjockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2003 at 1:23am
Less hair can make women with round faces look fatter. That was the case with my wife. However, some women with the right face shape can look very striking and slimmer with short, or very short hair.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 10:58pm
>>Despite the standard reason of the baby grabbing hair, I think it's more about weight gain, because I've also seen a lot of women get haircuts after they've gained weight. (been there, done that, so don't flame me!)

I've noticed this, too. Less hair only makes the fat seem fatter, though. Perhaps they desire a change and don't know how else to do it other than a haircut. Cutting off hair is easy. Thinking of other changes, though, requires a lot more effort.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2003 at 7:33pm
Women,-( new brides or not, children or not)-, usually try a short hairstyle when they get to be 25-30 years old, -(if they haven't tried a short hairstyle already)-.
I am 27 now, I was 24 when I first went short. Just got tired of having real long hair I guess.

I don't think I will go back to long hair anytime soon.
tina
Melba View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2003 at 1:20pm
A short hairstyle looks better on a woman if she isn't too fat.
'Course same is true with longer hair. Better to keep your weight under control. With a short hairstyle especially you can see a woman's facial features so well.
GrowingItOut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrowingItOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2003 at 11:35am
Yep, I've seen lots of women cut hair after having babies. Despite the standard reason of the baby grabbing hair, I think it's more about weight gain, because I've also seen a lot of women get haircuts after they've gained weight. (been there, done that, so don't flame me!)
Growing It Out since December '02
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2003 at 3:14pm
Hi Karen

No, I never felt the urge to colour my hair. I did start wearing tighter clothes, though ..... I wonder what that say's about me ...ROFLMAO !!!!!

When I feel like a change I put braids and hair toys in my hair. A decoration and celebration of the new season in my life. I may have cried a lot but a sure looked prettier after the break-up.

So THERE, Steve!!!

Hahaha!!

Uzma
Uzi

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2003 at 1:08pm
Hi Uzma,

You are hilarious. You should have really worked the guy...at least for a little bit. :-) OK but seriously, did you also have the urge to change the color? When things happened to me that tempted me to change my hair, I always first thought of changing the color. I did that in high school with disastrous results. I dyed my hair red thinking I would get the attention for a guy that was ignoring me. Well my hair turned bright orange and I got his attention all right...but became the talk of the school...both good and bad. LOL. I still have that urge to add color or highlights.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2003 at 4:55pm
LOL - When I split up with my ex, I lost weight and started growing my hair.

I met one of his friends the other week and that guy was errr "hitting" on me until I (re)introduced myself to him. Boy, were we both embarassed (hehehe).

Anyway, I guess when there is a big change in a person's life, they want to reflect that change on many levels including the physical.

I do wonder, though, how many feet of hair have been lost (or gained) due to these turning points.
Uzi

Ingrid Miller View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2003 at 2:17pm
I know that I got my hair cut from bra strap length to a bob when my boyfriend broke up with me. He used to always talk about how much he loved my hair and asked me to never cut it. So to spite him I cut it right after we broke up. It was liberating like "washing that man out of your hair" song. Anyway, I wore it in a bob for about a year and started missing my long hair so now it is growing longer again but I feel it is for me and not because of what anyone else says or wants. Maybe brides believe they have to have long hair to please their grooms. Ditto with new moms who may have longer hair to please their hubbies but the demands of a baby change their focus.

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2003 at 2:07pm
Hi SSJockey and Dave D. So good to see you on the short hair board. :-)

Yes, women do seem to react to hormones. I have gotten several emails from women who were going through menopause and their hair started to change by becoming dryer, more brittle and with damaged ends. So yes, their first response is to want to cut it a lot shorter. As always, there is always two sides to every issue and sometimes hair that is damaged as a result of no time for proper care or hormone related damage does do better with some of the damage removed. It really has to be a personal thing .

Great topic.

Thanks,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2003 at 7:21am
Hi Rod,

Originally posted by Rod Rod wrote:

Many women who prefer short hair grow it long because they want to have it up at their wedding. Having accomplished that, they cut it.

The cynical view is that they use the long hair to attract the man, and now they don't need to do that. Psychologically, they become the "wife," and put away the ingenue/vixen. Or maybe they feel they now have the freedom to go shorter, since they don't need to attract a man.

Or maybe it's just new life, new look.

All possible reasons, yep.

Quote s for why women cut their hair after having a baby, that's easier. Babies are known to grab hair, so women cut it to put a stop to that.

Yes babies grab hair (or whatever else is dangled in their faces). What I find ironic is that if a new mom puts her long hair back or up, the hair is out of the reach of the baby. But the new mom with the bob cut has that hair swinging in the baby's face. So the new mom who bobs her long hair has just made it easier for the baby to pull on it.

Quote ith some women, it's time. They don't have the time to care for long hair and are always putting it up. Putting up long hair all the time and keeping it so the baby can't grab it gives many women headaches.

If a woman gets headaches from putting her hair up, she isn't doing it right. I put my own long hair back and I never get headaches from it.

Quote utting up your hair all the time just isn't attractive,

Um, no, it can be, but I'm sure that's one subjective point I'm not going to "win" on this board.

Quote so women go for something that can look great with little maintenance.

Or maybe they just want a new look because they feel less attractive after having a baby.

All possible reasons. Another is that since women's hormones change after giving birth, all the hair strands that didn't fall out during pregnancy fall out immediately afterward, giving her the impression that she's losing all her hair (which isn't the case).

Interesting topic.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2003 at 7:56pm
Many women who prefer short hair grow it long because they want to have it up at their wedding. Having accomplished that, they cut it.

The cynical view is that they use the long hair to attract the man, and now they don't need to do that. Psychologically, they become the "wife," and put away the ingenue/vixen. Or maybe they feel they now have the freedom to go shorter, since they don't need to attract a man.

Or maybe it's just new life, new look.

As for why women cut their hair after having a baby, that's easier. Babies are known to grab hair, so women cut it to put a stop to that.

With some women, it's time. They don't have the time to care for long hair and are always putting it up. Putting up long hair all the time and keeping it so the baby can't grab it gives many women headaches.

Putting up your hair all the time just isn't attractive, so women go for something that can look great with little maintenance.

Or maybe they just want a new look because they feel less attractive after having a baby.
Brent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2003 at 6:16pm
People:

I can't disagree with any of the above reasons listed as to why women cut their hair after a marriage, or the birth of a child, new job, and so forth........
Since I'm a lover of short haired ladies:---I'm just very glad they so often DO make that decision to cut their hair!!!
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2003 at 9:36pm
I'm glad your wife likes her short hair ssjockey!

I hope you like it too but I would guess you do because I know you have complimented short hairstyles on women on the Celebrity board.
Lady Maria
ssjockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 12:57am
About 4 weeks after my wife and I were married, she cut her hair from about 3" below her shoulders, to just below chin, then a week later to a short layered cut. She likes shorter hair, but wanted long hair to wear up for our wedding. I think many women cut their hair after they are married because they spent a long time growing it out in the time leading up to the wedding, and are more than likely tired of the long hair by the time the wedding is over!

Just an opinion.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 7:17pm
And thank you too Melba!
Lady Maria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 7:16pm
Thank you Karen!
Lady Maria
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic