Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Want to go from long to short

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
~QueenzBalla~ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ~QueenzBalla~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Want to go from long to short
    Posted: January 30 2004 at 6:24pm
Lady Maria:
It seems like u and a lot of other posters on this board are always talking about how yall would do this and that with yall hair if your husbands wanted it or if your husbands thought u'd look good with it cut a certain way but 2 me its like "who cares what he thinks" because thats what i would be thinking if it were me and my husband (dont have one though...hey im still in high school) but anyway im not trying 2 say that yall should just completely not care about what your husband thinks,im just saying u should have your hair cut the way YOU like it and the way YOU think looks good on u. Like how u said u would probably never go bald but if your husband liked it and wanted it 4 u that u would probably get it or something like that.So what,if u dont like or if u thought it wouldnt look right or wasnt right 4 u would u still get it anyway just because YOUR HUSBAND wants it 4 u or if YOU want it 4 u?.......
---------->I love<3 this game!
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2003 at 8:24pm
I hope I never get so cynical that I can spot insincerity on a message board. Maybe there's a 75% chance this person is insincere, but I'd rather give the person that 25% chance that she is.

If you were offended by my belief that every man who posts here has an irrational attachment to hair that's what I was going for. I was pointing out that if this person is a fetishist, aren't we all to some degree? Don't make fetishists into some sort of evil demon. There's nothing wrong with it. Acting on it would be wrong.

You're the law and I respect your right to remove any post that you feel is against the rules. That I say that I don't care if this person is sincere is my honest thoughts. I hope I'm allowed to disagree with you about my feelings.

I still don't see the harm in an insincere post if it produces a lot of sincere posts. Isn't the point of this board to inform and entertain? If an insincere post produces those, then bring them on. If it doesn't, then remove it.
hairguy00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairguy00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2003 at 12:20pm
Dear rod,

I would like to set a few things straight. First just because i am a male and i post on a hair board that doesnt mean i "have an irriational attachment of some sort to hair". I personally just prefer short hair on women and to call my preference "irriational" is rude. the next thing in your post that got under my skin is the fact that you seem not to care at all that the starter of this thread was most likely a fetishist. I strive to keep this board honest and clean, i am disappointed in my self as a moderator that i have let this thread get so far out of control. For you to say "who cares if the person is a fetishist? " is totally out of bounds and incourages other fetishists to continue in thier ways and mislead many honest people on this and all the board.

-HG

Isla Q. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isla Q. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2003 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Rod Rod wrote:

The people who've posted here about how horrible Locks of Love is and how this person must be a fetishist are long hair lovers. Of course, there are short hair fetishists and long hair fetishists. I imagine most men who post on a hair board have an irriational attachment of some sort to hair. So, please pot don't call this kettle person black.

I hope the discussion the person elicited was interesting and helpful to the people who read the responses. If so, who cares if the person is a fetishist? The long hair lovers should know that people who like short hair, discuss it, or think about cutting their hair short aren't some sort of devil cult.

It has got nothing to do with wether you like (or reeeeaaaaally like) long or short hair.
I personally care if someone posts something they entirely made up and everyone here is nice enough to reply with all kinds of advice, and that person is probably sitting back reading all those well-meant words and laughing (or something else I don't want to think about).

You're new to the board, Rod (unless you've been lurking for a while first, as many - myself included - do). But after a while you recognize these made-up fetish posts, and this one just screams that. It's about sincerity, not about preferences.
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2003 at 12:40am
Rod,
I think you meant to say, short hair lovers are NOT some sort of devil cult.
It is true that men and women who write on this website are more interested in hair, and probably fashion in general, than many people are.

Some prefer long hairstyles, some short hairstyles. That's life, everyone has their interests.
Lady Maria
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2003 at 10:57pm
Locks of Love doesn't give all of their ponytail donations to cancer stricken kids and does sell many that they get. Why is this a bad thing? They probably don't get a lot of money donated to them and all charities need money to survive. If they can sell the product they get donated, instead of hitting people up for it, great.

I'd think that would make anyone donating to them happy. The organization is able to do what they do, and the hair helps that continue. What do think happens with the cars all these charities get?

If a woman wants to donate her hair to charity, that's a wonderful thing, as nice as donating money or time to charity. Granted, there are women who are so attached to their long hair that the thought of donating it gives them anxiety. Those women shouldn't donate their hair. Other women are comfortable with long or short hair and figure it'll grow back if they donate it. It's not like donating a kidney.

Short hair isn't always low maintenance. That depends on the style and the person's hair texture. Sometimes, it's high maintenance. Liv Tyler remarked how it took her forever to get her short hair to look good.

Long hair is low maintenance if a woman just ties it back and lets it air dry. Some hair can look good that way, most doesn't. Blow drying takes a long time and even then some women need to do more with their hair.

Maintenance time depends on the individual woman and her hair.

The people who've posted here about how horrible Locks of Love is and how this person must be a fetishist are long hair lovers. Of course, there are short hair fetishists and long hair fetishists. I imagine most men who post on a hair board have an irriational attachment of some sort to hair. So, please pot don't call this kettle person black.

I hope the discussion the person elicited was interesting and helpful to the people who read the responses. If so, who cares if the person is a fetishist? The long hair lovers should know that people who like short hair, discuss it, or think about cutting their hair short aren't some sort of devil cult.
ssjockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2003 at 8:19pm
I've seen a little research on the subject of Locks of Love, and they don't use all the hair sent to them. If the hair does not meet their standards set in their website, they throw it away. I understand that they do sell some of the hair they receive, but 3rd party groups that check out charities say that they use all of the proceeds of the hair sales for the charity, and not for profit.

Originally posted by Karrinne Karrinne wrote:

Don't donate to Locks of Love. They have some questionable business practices and according to some of their own information, they receive as many ponytails in one month's time as they need for all the wigs they donate in a year. Therefore leading me to believe they sell the rest of it or (and I don't believe this for a minute) discard it.
Truthfully I'd rather you sold it and got some monetary good out of it rather than line some dishonest charity's pockets. IMHO.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2003 at 7:58pm
Hi Brent,

Yes, this is the HAIR Boutique, not the no-hair boutique. So, as you correctly point out, this website is here for people with all types of hair -- long, short, whatever.

Kintaro makes a valid point when he says that zero-hair isn't a low-maintenance look. I once knew a guy who maintained a zero-hair look. He spent 20 minutes every day shaving his head and went through a new razor blade every 3 days.

Kintaro expressed his on-topic opinion that short hair isn't necessarily low-maintenance. Monthly haircuts by skilled cutters notwithstanding, it can be low-maintenance, day-to-day, if it isn't fussed over or styled. I don't think its fair for you to question the relevance of Kintaro's post on this board and this topic, especially given your lack of support to "prettyboi" on the Long Hair board (not that you "should" have supported him, but you seem to be requesting a double standard for posting behavior). Your dissent on that topic there was well within "acceptable" limits (and though brusque at times, politely spoken), and by similar measure, I think Kintaro's post here is just fine, too.
Brent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2003 at 7:03pm
Yeah, this character"Famous" might just be a punk kid pulling people's chain.

Kintaro, this short hair place that Karen and Hairguy has for us, is for people who enjoy or desire short hairstyles. The long hair board is for people who appreciate lomger hairstyles. I'm not saying you can't post your opinions on any board you like, but most of us visit the short haired site to encourage or support short styles, especially on women who wear those styles.

Have a good evening folks.
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2003 at 6:50pm
Boring. I couldn't tell their gender either. And the tone of text lacks a certain seriousness posters usually have. If somebody wants a zero-maintenance hairstyle, buy yourself a bottle/can/whatever of neet (veet apparently now, or any of its competitors), and 20 minutes later, you won't have to worry for months about hair in your way.

There is no such thing as a zero-maintenance style excluding the zero-hair style. Long hair is actually very low maintenance (but long to dry) as long as you let it grow, and don't go to the hairstylist's every 3 weeks to pet your ego, and empty your wallet.
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2003 at 5:34pm
I fully agree with you, Isla.

The post from "famous19" seems formulaic fetish and posted by some guy, no less. Women, even those who do seek a drastic change, just don't speak in terms voiced by "famous19."

Karrinne, you are wise to be suspicious. They acknowledge that they do sell hair and make lots of money doing so. But the money just goes into their coffers, sitting there idly doing nothing. Locks also says they haven't denied any legitimate requests for wigs, so at least they are "serving" their stated purpose. It's just difficult to understand why anybody (who likes their hair long) would donate (and many have) because Locks uses less than 10% of the hair they receive for wigs. Cutting solely for donating seems foolish. My opinion.
Isla Q. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isla Q. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2003 at 10:32am
Speaking of dishonesty, call me a sceptic, but I got the impression "famous19" is a fetishist.
Think about it. Young girl, long hair, drastic change, "I'd even shave my head". I love to be wrong here, but I just have this nagging feeling. The fact that this person this 'advice-seeking' person hasn't replied to all your answers only adds to this.
Karrinne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karrinne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2003 at 9:58am
Don't donate to Locks of Love. They have some questionable business practices and according to some of their own information, they receive as many ponytails in one month's time as they need for all the wigs they donate in a year. Therefore leading me to believe they sell the rest of it or (and I don't believe this for a minute) discard it.
Truthfully I'd rather you sold it and got some monetary good out of it rather than line some dishonest charity's pockets. IMHO.
hair today/hair tomorrow/hair always
??/37/52
See my hair at http://karrinne1960.tripod.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 11:08pm
Exactly!

If you wear your hair very short there is very little daily maitenance.

But in order to keep my hair as short as I want it, in the neat and cute style I want it, I have to go to the beauty salon once a month!

The good thing is, I enjoy going to the salon, and my beautician is very good and a nice person and really everyone is nice at the salon, and my beautician charges fairly reasonable prices, so I enjoy my monthly visit to the beauty salon !
Lady Maria
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2003 at 1:29pm
A bob haircut can sometimes require a bit of maintenance to blow dry and curl the ends under. The shorter style you suggest requires little maintenance, but you may need to use some gel before a short blow dry. This style requires more frequent trips to the salon, every four to six weeks. The trade off with cutting long hair short often means a lot less time daily, but going to the salon twice as often.

As for donations, try Wigs for Kids or Locks of Love.
MightyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MightyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2003 at 9:56pm
Famous, I think it's terrific that you want to go ultra-short, but it is going to be EXTREMELY drastic. If you need help, email me, I have some ideas.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2003 at 7:03pm
Hi Famous!

I love your idea of going from long hair to very short hair. I did that a year and a half ago .
I had waist length hair but I went short incrementally not all at once.
I went from long hair to a medium length bobcut to a pixie to a short pixie over a two month period.

It was fun going shorter gradually. It was exciting actually! As my hair got shorter and shorter I got more used to having shorter hair, it wasn't as big of an adjustment pschologically.

I would go incrementally shorter over a few months, if you really want to go very short.

As far as a shaved bald head look, I'm not ready for that, and I would never try something like that unless the man I am with approved of me doing it, although I doubt I will ever do that.

But suit yourself Famous!

At any rate, good luck with any short style you choose!
Lady Maria
Brent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2003 at 6:10pm
Famous 19:

You didn't specify but I would assume by what you wrote you are of the female persuasion.
It's kind of hard to say what sort of short hair style should be suggested to you since we haven't seen you and you didn't include a photo of yourself.
Since you are now legally of adult age and a good age really to experiment with a very short hair style, I say go ahead and try it.
- Don't really know what to tell you other than I like your idea and if you have the features for a super short cut, just go ahead and do it. Hair grows back anyway if you're disatisfied with the look.
I like all of the styles you mentioned, from the bob cut to the shaven head.

- I might add:--- I quite like the idea of you donating your hair. - Isn't one organization referred to as "Locks of Love"?
famous19 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote famous19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2003 at 5:21pm
To fetishy to be good for the board...

-HG
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic