Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Does 'thinning' thick hair out damage?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sunny1SoTrue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunny1SoTrue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does 'thinning' thick hair out damage?
    Posted: April 28 2003 at 12:25pm
My 22 yr. old daughter who has thick, somewhat wavy hair (med. texture)... went on Sat. to get her hair cut in a layered style with just a little length down back of neck. The hairdresser refused to do any thinning to create the look as she claimes that it "damages" the hair. Now, it seems to me that I've seen MANY famous professional stylists on TV during 'make overs' talk about using thinning and there were no connotations that this was Verboden now in the craft. ??? Did my daughter just get someone who was either too lazy to do what she wanted or knew her skill level couldn't handle? This "stylist" also would not cut the multi-layers that the style requires... AND it was at a national "chain" where the cut is only $14. Does all that have anything to do with it? My daughter wants to go back and insist on getting her thick hair thinned out.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 3:13pm
Chains are fine if you want to get an inch off the ends. To get a haircut like this, she needs to go to a skilled hairdresser that will charge $40-60. That person will be able to cut her hair how she wants it.
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 6:34pm
I agree with Rod, with short hair especially you need to go to a good salon, get a good beautician, and spend a little more money.

Remember, the shorter your hair, the more they have to know what they are doing, because the beautician has less hair to work with.

When your hair is an inch to 1 1/2 inches long at it's longest, like mine is, you better have someone who knows what they are doing!
Even a short style a little longer than mine would need an expert.

Spend a little extra money and have it done right, otherwise don't bother with a short hairstyle!
Lady Maria
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 9:30pm
Hi,

What you see on TV is a way of texturizing hair to create a movement and direction. Up to date, professional stylist never "thin" out the hair. It doesn't really damage the hair but it can make it look very frizzy and unhealthy. Thinned out hair also is very hard to manage because of its unruley texture. The layers that she recieved sounds like the best bet for her hair. This way it has a movement to it and control.

I hope this helps.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Lala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2003 at 4:02pm
Lili, I am new to the site and am not quite sure how it works but I wanted to ask you a question? Do you have any tips for cutting curly hair? or any suggestions for any schools that are good at teaching it? Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic