Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bangs or no bangs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hairbender View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairbender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bangs or no bangs?
    Posted: May 15 2003 at 10:40am
Is there a rule of thumb for short hair like whether or not you should have bangs?
KathyAnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KathyAnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 10:46am
* You see all kinds of short hairstyles.
There is no rule of thumb about bangs.
*Get the hairstyle you like.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 3:35pm
There is only one that I know of, but you shouldn't live your life according to rules if you don't like them. Women with high foreheads often look better with bangs.

Bangs accentuate the eyes by leading the view there. If a woman has beautiful eyes, nose, or cheekbones, bangs can be an asset.
Bratty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bratty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2003 at 1:01pm
Hi Rod,

You are right. Bangs are wonderful for bringing attention to the eyes and can look great with all lengths of hair. I don't like bangs when they are too long where you can't even see the eyes but overall I think they can look great on the right person.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2003 at 8:15pm
Longish bangs are good for a square face.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2003 at 9:24pm
I agree with the other posts. If you have a high forehead you definately need bangs. Also, bangs make the eyes "pop" out so if you have pretty eyes go for it. Personally, I like bangs about 1/2" to 1" above the eyebrows other wise it makes people look like sheep dogs.
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2003 at 4:01pm
I agree that the only folks that "need" bangs are those with high foreheads (e.g., Helen Hunt, Jennifer Garner, LeeLee Sobieski, etc), but they obviously aren't a requirement (even though Jennifer Garner would look incredible with them...but I digress). Short foreheads usually look better without them or with bangs swept to the side. You can also use them to alter you face shape to a degree (e.g., a square hairline can be softened with bangs).

For those in between or with oval/round faces, it becomes simply a style choice. For example, technically, Cindy Crawford could easily wear bangs, but in reality looks better without them.

Best thing to do, if you can, is to get a picture of yourself, without them and then simulate them to see the difference. If you want, I could do it for your if you send me a pic via email.

later,
JF
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
Hairbender View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairbender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2003 at 6:45am
Thank you so much Jerkyflea. What a great visual explanation. I was right there imagining Jennifer Garner with bangs. You are right, she would look amazing. I agree that it is a good idea to consider the options and then maybe do the simulation you suggested.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 2:16pm
I wear a short pixie like cut with very short bangs, like a fringe.
I like short bangs, even on women with long hair,.... -( unless, as mentioned, the forehead is unusually high)-.

tina
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic