Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

pros and cons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bronnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pros and cons
    Posted: June 18 2003 at 3:06pm
I’m getting the itch to cut my hair again. I had cut it to as short as just below my chin but it has since grown out to below my shoulder blades. I had thought I would go gradually shorter and shorter but my stylist says with my face shape I should either keep my hair below my chin or get it cut really short (like above my ears). Does anyone else have that problem? I didn’t have the courage to go that short so I grew it out. Now that the prom is over and summer is here I’m thinking I might try short hair again. I know I’m probably thinking about this all wrong but to help me decide I made a list of the pros and cons of short hair. What do you think?

Pros of short hair

Doesn’t get in the way of things as much,
Cooler, not as heavy,
Dries faster,
Doesn’t clog the vacuum cleaner,
Some guys love short hair on girls.

Cons of short hair

Most guys prefer long hair,
Can require more styling to look good,
Harder to impossible to put up,
Fewer styling options.

Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 5:18pm
Well, I’m not sure about clogging of the vacuum cleaner thing, but I agree with the pros and cons you have besides that. Hair above the ears doesn’t have a lot of versatility. Short hair below the chin can have more versatility than long hair.

Your post is analytical and not at all emotional. The biggest pro for getting your haircut should be, “I really want a change,” “I’d look really cute in short hair,” or “I feel like a short haired girl right now.”

Prom is over. Did you graduate? Are you headed off to college in the fall? I used to do college recruiting and I saw a lot of girls from conservative suburban places get their hair cut in the first month of freshman year, because they feel like a different person. Many colleges are more free-spirited and funky. They didn’t feel long hair reflected their change in personality.

And don’t worry about the guys. Yes, more like long hair. Even if you’re interested in a guy who likes long hair he’s going to fall for you or not fall for you based on other factors, not your hair. Trust me on that one. I was a teenage guy once.

Are your eyes, cheekbones, and facial features one of your best assets? If so, then short hair could make you cuter to the guys. If your body is a stronger asset, you may want to leave it long.

You sound like you think it’s time for short hair. That’s the first step. You just need to know.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 7:51pm
Bronnie,

Well we have been through this conversation several times before on this board, whether men like long or short hair on women. So I won't debate that again.

I do know this.

Where I live,..... -( in a major metropolitan area in the northern U.S.)-, men like short hairstyles on women -(assuming they look good in a short hairstyle)- just as much as long hair on women. I have gotten just as much, if not more, attention from men with my hair very short as I did when my hair was long.

It may be different in some parts of the south or in some rural areas;..... where the big hair, big rump, too tight dress, too much makeup- look for women is still popular,.......... but unless you live in a REALLY HICK place, I wouldn't worry about wearing a short hairstyle. I assure you MANY men will find it attractive!!!

I'm biased obviously because I wear my hair in a short pixie but I say GO FOR IT!!!
The pros outweigh the cons.

If you are wearing a short crop/ or pixie/ or bob cut, it really is easier to care for. I think it looks great, so do many guys and you can be creative with your clothing, scarves and jewelry to compliment your short haired look.

Also you are getting older, you are leaving girlhood and becoming a woman. Many females when they become a woman feel free to wear short hair if they choose, and remember, you won't be dating boys, you will be dating men, and grown men view short hair more favorably than teen aged boys , .....men accept variety in women better, they are more grown up.
Good luck!!!
tina
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2003 at 8:50am
I hate to sound like a conspiracy theory, but I think a lot of stylists and advice columns tell people short hair wouldn't look good with their face shape just because they want to discourage women from cutting their hair short :-P . Honestly, I can't recall ever seeing a woman who couldn't be made to look better with the right short haircut, but my personal bias towards short hair might be affecting that a little.
Also on the pros side, short hair isn't as easy to clog the sink or shower drain, you don't get it caught in the strap of your backpack or purse, you're not constantly getting ot caught or pulling on things, you don't have to hold it out of the way to avoid clamping it into your necklace clasps when you put them on, etc.
Countering some of the cons a little, if your idea of short includes chin- to shoulder-length, there are ways to put that up. Shoulder-length hair can ponytail easily enough, of course. If your hair is shorter than that and won't pony, you can put it up with hairpins (I used to do the cutest thing, twisting my hair and pinning as I went, all along the hairline, and tucking or tiny-bunning the ends with more pins, depending on how long the hair actually was), or put it up partially like on the top or just at the sides (when I had a bob, I often wore small braids or ponytails at each side of my head, because I didn't like the way it covered my ears). And as styling options go, well, for the first thing, a lot of women say they want their hair long so they can do more things with it, and then what do they do besides a ponytail or braid to keep it out of the way? So the ability to put one's hair up in a fancy way doesn't necessarily mean it's likely to be put up that way. And short hair has plenty of styling options, especially with decorative hairpins, headbands, clips, and stick-on jewels, most of which actually look nicer in short hair than long, in many cases. Short hair can also be slicked back from the face, left to casually fall on the face, tousled, spiked, curled. . . at least as many options as long hair, if you're willing to be cute and creative with it.
Honestly, I think there are far more pros to short hair than long, with none of the cons (unless you're really dead set on wearing elaborate updos). There's really no reason why any woman can't wear short hair if she wants to.

Quote ros of short hair

Doesn’t get in the way of things as much,
Cooler, not as heavy,
Dries faster,
Doesn’t clog the vacuum cleaner,
Some guys love short hair on girls.

Cons of short hair

Most guys prefer long hair,
Can require more styling to look good,
Harder to impossible to put up,
Fewer styling options.

HeadBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeadBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2003 at 9:01am
The biggest pro to short hair, in my humble opinion, is this:
If it makes you happier with yourself, it makes you more attractive.

I'm no psychologist, and I'm no genius, but I've kept my hair buzzed (#2 on top #1 on the sides and back) and it makes me happier with my appearance. My wife likes it and my friends, who are fairly honest with me, say I look more like "myself." Whatever that means, I have no idea, but there's plenty less fuss in the morning and more time to spend with my wife and kids since I'm not spending as much time on my hair.

My wife wears a pixie, slightly grown out, and looks more beautiful and feminine than any other woman I've ever met (no offense to any female who reads this, I just more in love now than I was 13 years ago, when I met her).

Another pro to short hair is the pampering a person can get when getting a shampoo and haircut. Very relaxing stuff
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic