Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need style advise bad!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need style advise bad!!
    Posted: August 06 2003 at 8:07am
OK guys. I am coming to the experts for advise. I love short hair and have been trying (unsuccessfully) for the past six years to find a short hairstyle that will work for me. I am 47 years old, real tall, medium build and here is the big problem: My hair is baby fine, thin, and stick straight. My face is square and I just cannot find a style that looks better than a shoulder length bob (blunt cut) with bangs. Right now I have an inverted bob with sides just below ear length, bangs, and frankly it looks horrible. I have tried very short layers and they just fall flat so that didn't work either. Can anyone help? I don't really want to grow it back out but I am tired of everyone telling me how bad it looks and exclaiming how good I used to look when my hair was longer. HELP! I have tried everything, even perms (not good). I live in high humidity so low maintenance is required. I thought short hair was supposed to be low maintenance but for me it is lots of work and hairspray and even that isn't right. Any adivse will be appreciated.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Twanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2003 at 9:50am
It sounds like we have very similar hair and hairstyle, except I do have a little V shaped bit of hair down my neck as my hair tends to grow a little far down my neck. I too dislike this cut as it requires volumizer (currently using Aveda Hair volumizing tonic) and much use of a round brush. It's supposed to be swingy, but I hairspray it quite a bit once I get it all going under as some pieces of hair love to turn different directions. This has been a difficult to style haircut from the beginning. I'll tell you what I'm going to do next with my hair and maybe that will help. I'm short however and that is where our paths may change.

I'm going to go with a short cut that I call a short shag (maybe it's a pixie, but I like it a little longer in back). I had this cut for about 3 years in varying lengths before I grew my hair out all one length. The top is cut short enough to almost stand up, that varies sometimes I get it cut short enough to stand up and sometimes just shy of standing up. This gives me volume on top. Bangs are usually cut kind of jagged straight hair does this well. The sides are cut halfway down the ear, never liked it cut over the ear and will probably go with sideburns to the top of the earlobe. The back will become the V of hair I currently have and that's about necklace length. That's a little shorter than I usually go, but this bob is pretty short. I'm trying to wait a couple more weeks, but who knows. There's a picture on Hairboutique Hair gallery that is very close to what I'm going for. I don't know how to paste the picture here but it's number 4597.

I don't know if my rattling on and on about what I'm going to do will help you, but maybe it will. I'm also looking forward to what others have to suggest as well. When you do decide, please let us know.

Twanda
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2003 at 3:09pm
I like that style very much but I tried one similar and it wouldn't stand up like that and ended up being a lot of work and products. I think if I had a crew cut it would fall flat. I have to have close to the head styling and generally no layers. Post a picture when you get it done. I looks very sexy and that is what I would like. This bob is just horrible but I don't know what else to do. I have been to probably 10 different stylists in my quest for a decent short 'do and so far they all pretty much do the same thing.
strawberiblonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberiblonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2003 at 5:53pm
What about something like style 5510 (with more normal bangs)? Or is that too short for you? It doesn't require a lot of volume, and the wisps on the sides and the general round shape would play down the squareness of your face.

I sympathize on the humidity problem. I don't live in a high humidity area, but when I was travelling recently, my baby fine hair went flat to my head.

BTW, I also get my hair cut recently after posting a question here a while back.

Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2003 at 3:45am
I have really fine/thin, straight hair, too, but the way it grows, it doesn't lie flat to my head. If it gets too long or one-length, the weight pulls it flat, but if it's shorter and layered, it kind of fluffs up a bit on its own, so it doesn't look quite as fine or thin as it is.
If your hair does lie flat, though, you'll have to find a way to work with that. Maybe look for pictures of styles that are meant to lie very flat to the head? I've seen some, but they've always been super-short. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for or not. *tries to think what else there might be*
Twanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2003 at 8:33am
Style 5510 does look cute and would lend itself well to fine straight hair, but I agree with you, it would be better with "more normal bangs".

Sometimes I would like my hair stylist to offer an opinion on my hair, but she just won't. She says it's up to me and she does cut exactly what I ask for which is sometimes good and sometimes not so good. Then when it's over she might say "oh that cut looks better than I thought it would" - good or "layers aren't the best for your longer hair, sure we can cut them all out" - bad. It's kinda funny - sometimes. I stay with her because she is good at cutting hair even if she won't give an opinion, but I digress.

Twanda
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2003 at 11:55am
Hmm. I guess a modified version of that one might work. I think the bangs would have to be longer though, maybe as long as that one little long piece that was mixed in with the short bangs. I am not ready to cut off what little length I have yet though. I spent the last year growing out very short layers but my stylist wants it to just get longer. I went to someone else because I was kind of frustrated and thought that maybe new ideas would finally get me what I want but she just made it worse. So I ended up going back. But in order to "fix" the damage the new stylist did my old stylist did this current cut and I REALLY DON'T like it at all. So now I am thinking real short again.

I still want a sexy short cut but maybe that just isn't for me. I also want one with no work involved to make it look good. I don't think I would look good with a short pixie (square face and tallness don't work well) or I would do that. My hair is exactly the same as Sharon Stone's and she seems to have the best luck with short pixies but then when you see candid photos of her when she did her hair herself it looks pretty awful.

At my age, some of those careless short cuts you see on younger girls don't look quite right either. Thanks so much for the advise. I am probably going to call my stylist soon and see if he can think of something else.
strawberiblonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberiblonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2003 at 5:54pm
What about something like this?

http://www.ukhairdressers.com/style/index2.asp?R1=3334&month1=&pg=1&styl1=Philips%20Hair

BTW, this gallery has a lot of great short styles.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2003 at 1:04pm
That one is wonderful but my hair is way too short right now. The link below is more like how I am now but not nearly as nice. Think superfine, thin hair that looks more chopped with shorter bangs:
http://www.ukhairdressers.com/style/index2.asp?R1=3206&month1=&pg=1&styl1=BARRIE%20STEPHEN

That is a wonderful site though. I see a couple of pictures with real fine hair. My fear is that "reality" for those 'dos won't be nearly as good. Salon styling is one thing, reality is another. Also, I am sort of too old for some of the edgier styles. I like them but would feel real silly wearing them.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2003 at 6:25am
Maybe you could work towards something that would purposely lie close to the head in layers, but with longer, fringier bits around the edges to look softer and more femme. *not sure if that came out right or not* If anyone knows what my mind is imagining and has pictures, do show.
Twanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2003 at 3:24pm
Demodoll said, "I also want one with no work involved to make it look good." I hear you, that's exactly how I feel too. Anything more than just blowdrying is too much.

I'm 39 and have found that my hair just doesn't behave as nicely and easily as it did even in my early to mid 30's. Where my current hair cut was easy to just blow dry and go in my early 30's it now has quirks that it never used to have.

By the way, the link to the hairstyle gallery is great, that one never came up when I was searching.

Twanda
tony9999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony9999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2003 at 8:12pm
You have a picture? Can't make a suggestion without seeing your face.
Change is good for the soul and fun to talk about!
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2003 at 4:41pm
I don't know how to move them over here or I would. I can email you a picture if you want. I just cannot for the life of me figure out how to copy it over into here.
Twanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2003 at 4:15pm
Saw this picture on the celebrity message board about radical hair changes in the movies. I like this style of short hair and the top is not standing up something you said your hair wouldn't do. You may have to let the back grow a little more, I remember a picture you said it was similar to. Do you want to go with layers, or leave it more blunt? This is the 1st time I've pasted a link so I don't know if it will work or not. If it doesn't you can just go to the message board I copied it from and look at it there.

Twanda

http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryListing.asp?navtyp=SRH&str=carey+lowell&styp=&sfld=C&substr=carey+lowell&sortval=4d&PageNum=1
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2003 at 8:01pm
Twanda, I love Richard Gere and I love Carey Lowell, she used to be on "Law and Order". They are both great at acting.
I love Carey's short hair, it is a cute style!
tina
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2003 at 9:08am
Well, here is an update. I went ahead and got it cut a bit shorter and I actually like it much better. Not much layering except right at the bottom with long top and bangs, short sides. I hope it works and won't need cutting in two weeks to stay in shape. I have received zero compliments but I like it so I guess that is most important. Tony, I didn't do the color yet. My stylist said the red would be nice but I am afraid to take the step so far. Maybe for winter. I think I would have to wear more make up with more vibrant color and it is so hot here that make up lasts about five minutes before melting away.

Thanks for all the advise guys. I wish I new how to post pictures here but I can't seem to make it work.
Twanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2003 at 3:06pm
So glad you are happy with your new cut. If you like it then that's all that matters. Perhaps no one has said anything because it wasn't cut so drastically that people notice.

Twanda
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2003 at 4:58am
Kudos to you demodoll....I admire that you ignore everyone's comments and do what you want. I was going to suggest a classic (meaning no layers) bob right at the chin with no bangs. I also have a square face and learned from my stylist that no bangs can elongate a square face - also hair right at the square part of the face can elongate a square jaw.

it sounds like you found something that you like and that is what counts. I cut my long hair a few years ago into a very short layered shag and EVERY one had to comment! Things like "you cut your hair!"...then nothing else as if to emphasize that if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything...well I decided to grow it back after that experience.

jacqui
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2003 at 10:52am
Actually Hairalways I may end up with the chin length bob, no bangs. My stylist really wants me to lose the bangs and he feels that with the hair this short on the sides we can grow the bangs in no time. So, we'll see what develops. I have gotten some compliments from total strangers finally. Mostly they want the name of my stylist and I'm happy to oblige. He is a very patient man.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic