Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Silly peeve! (T'pol on Enterprise)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
IfOnly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IfOnly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silly peeve! (T'pol on Enterprise)
    Posted: October 23 2003 at 9:30pm
I have always watched whichever Star Trek series is currently on. The current series "Enterprise" has Jolene Blalock playing a Vulcan whose character in the first season had very short hair (a wig admittedly but ultra flattering on Jolene especially with those delicately pointed ears!)

The second season is now on and they changed her hair for some reason! Still short but they changed it to a bob with bangs. Since they have to let people know she's a Vulcan it's always styled behind her telltale ears. What was the point! She looked so good in the first season style. O.K., minor rant off now!
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2003 at 10:53pm
I noticed that, too. I figured they did it because they're trying to play up her sexuality this season, and the shorter a woman's hair is, the fewer men will go for her :-( . I have a terrible sinking feeling it'll just get longer the more the show goes on, to try to attract more horny male viewers :-( .
That's really unfortunate for me, though, because I've seen her out of costume and I don't think she's attractive in the least. But put some pointy ears and a short wig on her, and she's like gorgeous! I should write the show and say so, I guess. . . not like my one voice will matter, but at least it'll make me feel better. . .
More awesome than a manatee!
HeadBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeadBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2003 at 8:35am
I went to www.startrek.com and the lame excuse they offer is that she left the Vulcan High Command and the Enterprise has entered the Expanse ... yeah, that explains it.

Have to agree with the post above, she looks far more attravtive in her costume thatn she does in interviews and things. Her hair is too blonde. As a natural brunette, she looked very attractive. Now, she looks stark, in my opinion.

Peace to all
KathyAnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KathyAnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2003 at 8:35am
Hair length has nothing to do with whether a lady is considered sexy or not.
Look at all the women singers who are considered very sexy who have worn short hair; Madonna, Sinead, Joan Jett, and Toni Braxton amongst them.
Brent E. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2003 at 10:52am
Huge numbers of men, myself included , find short hair very sexy on women.
That's one of the reasons you see so many women around with short hair in the modern world, including my wife.
It's easy to take care of for the ladies and attractive to many men.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2003 at 3:26am
I want to believe that, but I've been here too long, seen too much. *laughs* People on this board are seen to argue endlessly on hair length, and I've noticed way too many people, both male and female, arguing endlessly on how much better "most" women supposedly look with long hair, and too much berating women who cut theirs. And then things like the guy who was witholding affection from his wife because she cut her hair. . . I'm starting to lose my faith in women being seen as anything more than walking hairballs for strange men to gawk at. *laughs*

Originally posted by tina m tina m wrote:

The shorter the hair the fewer the men will go for her? What world you livin in girl!

When I got my hair cut real short I got more attention, not less, from men.

Alyssa Milano has become the sexy girl on her show after she went to the short pixie. Halle Berry turns heads with her short do. Length of hair has nothing to do with female sexiness. People have to get past this outdated notion that short hair can't be sexy on a lady. That idea went out decades ago. Geeeeeeezzzzz! Get past that!
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2003 at 3:33am
I actually considered that possibility. . . like someone just out of the service and eager to do with their looks whatever they want for once. . . Although I wouldn't have thought Vulcans would be the type to care so much about appearance to do that kind of thing. . . But she does seem more emotional than most of the Vulcans I've seen in ST shows. . . *shrugs* I still think it was better before, though.

Originally posted by HeadBoy HeadBoy wrote:

I went to www.startrek.com and the lame excuse they offer is that she left the Vulcan High Command and the Enterprise has entered the Expanse ... yeah, that explains it.

Have to agree with the post above, she looks far more attravtive in her costume thatn she does in interviews and things. Her hair is too blonde. As a natural brunette, she looked very attractive. Now, she looks stark, in my opinion.

enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2003 at 12:14pm
She looked more...Vulcany with short hair. Now she looks like a mum coming to pick the kids up from school, not all cold and efficient like a Star Trek character should.

I think they should change it back, especially if it's a wig.

Why am I saying this? I don't even like this series as much as the previous ones. Now, ST:The Next Generation. THAT was good.
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2003 at 12:17pm
Are they just doing the whole gender repersentation thing? Because she's a woman, even though she's a Vulcan, she must be vain. After all, every woman is! Sexist or what?! You can tell men decide these needless stereotypical changes.
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2003 at 11:30pm
Yes, this is the safe haven, and all the guys on this part of the board like short, but there seem to be a lot more people out on the other boards who disagree, than the ones who come to this board to agree. *shrugs* It just seems like the people here are in the minority, and the people who decide how charas should look for that show aren't out the please our minority.
If TPTB on the show think men in general prefer long hair, that's whom they'll cater to, especially since the falling ratings have them trying to inject more sex into the show than ever :-P .
Part of the hype for this season from the start was how they were going to explore T'pol's sexuality, though, which is part of why I think that's their reasoning behind it.

Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2003 at 8:42am

I have to add that it could be a regional thing...plus there are still left over perceptions from bygone years...depending on where you live .....city, rural, liberal or conservative or even age group. There are going to be different ideas of what is or is not sexy.

As you know I've done hair for years....and sure 20 years ago Kuronekos perception would have been right on and there are still many people.... Depending on all of the things I already mentioned....who would agree with her still.

These perceptions are changing slow but sure, but it depends on where your at and who you hang out with.

spud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2003 at 8:38pm
As a big Trek fan and hair fan I've always had alot of problems with the styles worn by T'Pol, 7/9 and Belana Torres

7/9 was was my pet peeve for a long time. When she was first removed from the collective and most of her implants were removed she was still very utilitarian about all things so going from bald to long hair would defnitely be out. Something short and pratical would of been the most she would of allowed. Maybe getting longer as she regained her humanity. High heel were definitely WRONG

Belana as a ball busting half vulcan wouldn't of had such a feminine hairstyle and why did she have to wear a wig. Surely the producers could have told her. If you want the part get your haircut. The girl in StarGate had have a haircut to to keep her airforce look.

The same goes for T'Pol the wig looked like a...... wig but the shortness did go with the vulcan practicallity. Just like the original female security officer in The Next Generation Denise Crosby

Spud
KathyAnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KathyAnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2003 at 10:08pm
All of this over sci-fi characters hairstyles!
* Maybe it's a good thing I'm not a big science fiction fan.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2003 at 11:32pm
Maybe my rampant negativity and pessimistic attitude make me notice the negative comments a lot more than any positive. I seem to have a problem with that on some other forums, too.
I really wouldn't care what men find attractive in women, except my perception is that too many women try so hard to make themselves attractive to men, or at least to do what they think men will find attractive. I've spent a majority of my life increasingly resenting stereotypically feminine traits as being oppressive to women (again just my perception), so that makes a lot of effect on my views as well. So when I say they're using the longer wig to make her look sexier to men, I say that out of contempt and disgust rather than admiration.

Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2003 at 11:51pm
Yes, I think Seven should've had short hair, too, because it would've been more practical for a former Borg. I could imagine a former Borg might not be used to hair at all at first, so I might've expected her to be bald for a while just because she's used to it, and maybe get some hair later, but they would've had to use a bald cap, which would've looked awful. *shrugs* So having hair is understandable, just the length is a problem.
B'Elanna was half-Klingon, and Klingons usually have very long hair, so considering her genetic background, her hair was comparatively short. I had no problems with her hair.
Oh, Tasha had really beautiful hair! I had such a crush on her when she was on the show, and I was just devastated when she died. Unfortunately, it was hard to be her fan, because she was considered ugly by most of the people I knew at the time :-( . I couldn't admit to liking her for a very long time.

Originally posted by spud spud wrote:

As a big Trek fan and hair fan I've always had alot of problems with the styles worn by T'Pol, 7/9 and Belana Torres

7/9 was was my pet peeve for a long time. When she was first removed from the collective and most of her implants were removed she was still very utilitarian about all things so going from bald to long hair would defnitely be out. Something short and pratical would of been the most she would of allowed. Maybe getting longer as she regained her humanity. High heel were definitely WRONG

Belana as a ball busting half vulcan wouldn't of had such a feminine hairstyle and why did she have to wear a wig. Surely the producers could have told her. If you want the part get your haircut. The girl in StarGate had have a haircut to to keep her airforce look.

The same goes for T'Pol the wig looked like a...... wig but the shortness did go with the vulcan practicallity. Just like the original female security officer in The Next Generation Denise Crosby

Spud
IfOnly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IfOnly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2003 at 9:27pm
I have to agree about 7/9, I never could figure out why a former borg would have long hair yet insist on wearing it up everyday, in an elegant french twist even. Borg party manners I guess!

B'lanna had incredible hair styles and I believe she even wore her real hair for a while. She has naturally curly hair and you may remember her wearing a curly/wavy bob towards the end of the series. I found it perfectly fitting for her character, forever caught between her violent Klingon half and her refined human half. The actress, Roxann Dawson, is now producing some of the new Enterprise episodes. She has gone to even shorter hair in recent years, here is a link to some pictures on wireimage showing her in an incredible pixie:

http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryListing.asp?navtyp=SRH&logsrch=1

She has a nice website with a picture gallery that showcases some great short hairstyles also (look in her store):

http://www.roxanndawson.net/

I had a crush on Tasha by the way also. Data was one lucky robot in my book.

I think modern society is much more accepting of short hair on women now. I wish they were as accepting of different styles on men. I adapted any number of womens hair styles to my own hair and generally very few people liked them. I've taken to wearing it in a short razored crop I do myself thats not tailored around the ears or neckline but left a little choppy instead. Much like a woman's pixie but adjusted for a man. The ease of short hair is very appealing but I find the standard cuts that guys get a bit boring. Women are actually quite lucky, you get to wear your hair short or long, messy or neat, and you get to wear mens clothes or womens clothes with no one thinking twice about it. I'm afraid dresses will never look good on men, (unless you are a female impersonator). Most guys are built like linebackers and are as hairy as gorillas to boot. I will go as far as wearing a long tunic, like I used to wear when I was in a Medieval Recreation group, but that's about it!
IfOnly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IfOnly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2003 at 9:33pm
Oh, I also meant to say I love it that women want to please men (or other women for that matter) with their appearance! In my book it would mean seeing more great short haircuts on women! I do try and compliment women who have beautiful haircuts whenever it seems appropriate.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2003 at 10:02pm
Good for you IfOnly. I'm glad you like short hairstyles on women!
I hope you find a nice woman that you like who has short hair if you don't have a lady like that already!
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2003 at 11:38pm
I dunno if Jeri Ryan was just really weird about hair and insisted on using her own or if the character designers just thought the updo looked best, or what. *shrugs* If it were meant to be a sexy style, you'd think they would've softened it up a bit, so I don't think sex appeal was the reason. *wonders*
I never knew Roxann Dawson was so pretty-- I'd never seen her out of her B'Elanna costume before. Definitely an improvement. . . but then, Klingon foreheads never are very flattering. . .
I have no problem with men wearing dresses, really. *shrugs* All I ask is that they shave their faces, underarms, legs, and anything else that'll be showing before they do so. If women have to shave their legs to wear dresses, men should, too. And as long as the guy can pull it off, I have no problem with men in make-up or more "feminine" hairstyles, either. *shrugs* I'm just as much for men breaking gender stereotypes as women.

Originally posted by IfOnly IfOnly wrote:

I have to agree about 7/9, I never could figure out why a former borg would have long hair yet insist on wearing it up everyday, in an elegant french twist even. Borg party manners I guess!

B'lanna had incredible hair styles and I believe she even wore her real hair for a while. She has naturally curly hair and you may remember her wearing a curly/wavy bob towards the end of the series. I found it perfectly fitting for her character, forever caught between her violent Klingon half and her refined human half. The actress, Roxann Dawson, is now producing some of the new Enterprise episodes. She has gone to even shorter hair in recent years, here is a link to some pictures on wireimage showing her in an incredible pixie:

http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryListing.asp?navtyp=SRH&logsrch=1

She has a nice website with a picture gallery that showcases some great short hairstyles also (look in her store):

http://www.roxanndawson.net/

I had a crush on Tasha by the way also. Data was one lucky robot in my book.

I think modern society is much more accepting of short hair on women now. I wish they were as accepting of different styles on men. I adapted any number of womens hair styles to my own hair and generally very few people liked them. I've taken to wearing it in a short razored crop I do myself thats not tailored around the ears or neckline but left a little choppy instead. Much like a woman's pixie but adjusted for a man. The ease of short hair is very appealing but I find the standard cuts that guys get a bit boring. Women are actually quite lucky, you get to wear your hair short or long, messy or neat, and you get to wear mens clothes or womens clothes with no one thinking twice about it. I'm afraid dresses will never look good on men, (unless you are a female impersonator). Most guys are built like linebackers and are as hairy as gorillas to boot. I will go as far as wearing a long tunic, like I used to wear when I was in a Medieval Recreation group, but that's about it!
HeadBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeadBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2003 at 8:22am
Your friends thought Denise Crosby was ugly?

Holy Toledo, how wrong is that?

My buddies and I used to meet up over at a friend's house
to watch Next Generation every week just to see her.

I have to think that the whole thread here regarding women with short hair vs. women with long hair will never die.

Just my two cents here:
When I first discovered my love of short hair, I felt like the only one. These days, it doesn't seem like I'm David facing Goliath. I know plenty of women with short hair that look very attractive and many of my guy friends that they date/are married to would never dream of asking them to grow it out.

Over half of the women at our church have hair above their shoulders, not exactly Sinead O'Connor City, but a vast difference from ten or 20 years ago.

My boss is a delightful and bright woman that I admire, though I doubt the subject of hair would come up in our conversations. The number of women in my field, journalism, has increased dramatically since 1982, when I got into this business. Not just in front of the camera either. I digress, but I do believe that the days of women being just objects is over. As a guy with a mom, a wife, three sisters and a daughter, that makes me happy. It's good to know that a person can be themselves these days with much less public scorn than before.

It's not a perfect world by any means, but it is getting better. And, fortunately, I'm talking about more than hair preference.

Suffice to say, you are not alone and there are guys out here who see women as more than just walking hairstyles.
Peace to all
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic