Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should I dare?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Theo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I dare?
    Posted: May 11 2004 at 3:22am
Greetings all, I posted in General earlier, but now see this is the right forum to be on. I recently had a bad hair day at a reputable salon. I asked for a shaggy bob and a color. I have very thick gray hair that use to be straight, now wavy.The stylist cut the left side perfect but somehow screwed up on the right side? So to fix it I now have 2 messed up sides, helmet head! The color also did'nt cover all the gray, so a week later I go back for a color redo. Now my hair is fried, plus I look like Bride of Frankenstein. But I do have the hair from hell to work with, being that I am rarely satisfied with most stylists attempts. Seems the shoulder length bobs have worked best in past. Now I am wondering what to do? I am very tempted to cut it all off to the length of my grow-out, which would be a Buzz or a very short Pixie. But I am concerned if I could pull it off? I think I am too old? (I looked great in a Twiggy/Pixie cut when I was 20) I am now a 55 yr. old woman, 130 lbs, average looking with a small oval face. I also wear hip glasses. Last summer I had a face/necklift with good results. But I still feel best hiding behind all my hair. So do I dare? Your input will be most appreciated.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2004 at 3:58am
I answered the other post already, but I'll add something here, too. Older women can look very pretty in short, grey hair, like Jamie Lee Curtis or Judi Dench :-) . So advancing age or greying hair isn't really an issue, if you've got a nice face to pull the look off.
More awesome than a manatee!
Theo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2004 at 12:26pm
Hey again, I just read your other post and yes my glasses are the skinny wire ones. My face is so small I am lost under larger geeky frames. I cant believe I did not even think of those 2 actresses. Only Hallie Berry and Mia Farrow came to mind. I think I could pull this off afterall but I will definitely go buy some earrings which I have'nt worn for years, too much hair hiding my ears! Now I just have to step up to the plate and make an appt. at a different salon. So thanks again for your valuable input.
miss brenda View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2004 at 9:54pm
I wear a buzzcut myself. I would encourage other women to try a really short crop or a buzzcut.

I agree that age shouldn't matter. I've seen older women with grey hair in short pixies or buzzcuts, and many of them look great. Like you mentioned, earrings and jewelry are fun with short hair too.
Theo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2004 at 2:55am
Thanks for the support. I know this is the right move for my over-processed hair. I actually got brave and went to a salon on tuesday but they were closed. So wednesday I'll go again to see what they can do.I have a feeling it will be the Buzz. Yikes! My gray growout is pretty short. But wont a Buzz grow into a Crop Cut and then a Pixie fairly fast? Hey, that way I could try all 3 styles. What a deal!
miss brenda View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2004 at 7:27pm
I had my hair buzzed after I had my baby, and recently got a buzzcut again. I have worn many short styles including a short bob-cut and pixies of varying lengths, including a real short one, but I'm sold on a buzzcut, at least for now.

You do see women here and there with buzzcuts and it is the easiest hairstyle to take care of, all you have to do is wash it because it is too short to brush or comb.
Then every few weeks just get a haircut again. Really easy.

I still spend some time on my makeup, but I don't need to waste any time on my hair.
Theo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2004 at 11:04pm
Yikes! I actually cut my mop today. The stylist and I decided on the Pixie because he said my roots are not all gray. I have alot of brown in the back so no need to go so short my 1st time. He dyed my extremely short hair a golden brown with some blond highlights. Ive been getting mixed opinions on it from my friends, but the majority like it. Now I just need to convince me! He did a great job though, it looks alot like what Mia Farrow had in Rosemarys Baby. The highlights really help it not look like a helmet head. I know I will like it better each day as soon as the shock wears off. Now Im really going to need those earrings!
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2004 at 3:56am
I never really understood why all the charas in that movie were bashing Rosemary's haircut so much. Anybody with working eyes could see it was an adorable style!
More awesome than a manatee!
Theo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2004 at 8:56pm
Speaking of Mia, I wonder how she would look in that hairstyle now? She has kept her hair longer since that movie. I guess once was enough for her. She still has great bone stucture. I actually dont think all that hair she is wearing now is becoming on her. Just a passing thought. Adios!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic