Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How "low maintenance" is "low maintenance"?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
greeneyedgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greeneyedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How "low maintenance" is "low maintenance"?
    Posted: June 04 2004 at 11:11pm
It's taken me more years than I care to admit, but I've finally worked my way from a hip-length mane up to a chin-length bob, and I think I'm ready to go shorter. I have an oval face and pretty well-proportioned features, so I think I can pull it off.

The problem is, well, I'm just not very coordinated when it comes to using styling appliances and products. I've mastered turning the ends under with a curling iron, which is a pretty big feat for me.

I'd like to try a shorter, layered cut, but I'm not sure I can handle it. Nothing's worse than having a haircut that looks great at the salon...and nowhere else.

Any advice?

Thanks!
miss brenda View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2004 at 2:39am
In a word, a "pixie".

A pixie cut is short enough that it doesn't take much maitenance.

I went over a period of years from tailbone length ultra-long hair to a chin length bob cut and finally to a pixie.

Just after giving birth to my 2nd child I decided to go even shorter and I got a buzzcut. I wanted a style that required no maitenance at all.

I wear makeup, earrings and jewelry and dresses, I like looking feminine and I think I have good features for very short hair, so I just went to a buzzcut.

If you don't want to go that short, try a pixie. They are adorable and many men like women in cute short pixies.

Look at all the positive publicity Alyssa Milano got when she went to her ultra short pixie!

It's a nice look if you have the features for it.

If you go that short with your hair, makeup,earrings, and clothes become even more important. Go with the sexy short hairstyle and then look your best. You might like it and the man in your life might like it too, or if you are single, men might find you attractive with a short 'do.

I actually got more positive attention from men when I went to a very short pixie and dolled myself up a little!

Good luck!
HOTSAUCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOTSAUCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2004 at 5:01pm
Yeah I agree because I'm a girl and I'd much rather have short hair than long hair and since im in H.S. all my friends tell me that I shouldn't cut my hair because its just a little above shoulder length right now and was going to get it cut like Mary J.Blige has hers cut even though hers is a wig I still think it looks cute and thats exactly what I want.
BaldJasmine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2004 at 6:05pm
I agree the pixie is nice and easy to care for if you don't want to go as short as a buzzcut, which is really easy to care for.
I'm a Black woman who wears a very short afro cut close to the scalp, high and tight.
I also have shaved my head and worn the bald look, although it's been a few years since I've done that.
I also agree that makeup and jewelry are important with short hair. Long dangle earrings and large hoop earrings are nice on a woman with short hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greeneyedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2004 at 11:11pm
Thanks for the great responses!

I was talking with a friend tonight, and she suggested that I might want to try something like Gwyneth Paltrow's cut in Sliding Doors. I hadn't even considered that option, and it really is a great look--or at least it was for Gwyneth!

Anyway, I'm kind of torn between that and the pixie. To do the pixie cut would mean giving up a lot of hair...Can you hear me biting my fingernails?

Has anyone else out there tried either one of these cuts, and if so, how did they work out for you? Were you able to maintain them? What products did you use?

Thanks for your help!
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2004 at 1:10am
If you go to a short pixie you don't really need much product, other than shampoo and water.
It's a wash and wear style.

You need to decide if you would look good in a short pixie.
Some women look better than ever in a pixie, but some women don't.
You need to have the guts to try it. It's just hair, it grows back. You can always wear a headwrap or a wig too until it grows back, but you never know, you may be one of those women that look great in a short pixie.
Look at Alyssa Milano. She looked slightly better than average with long hair. When she got a short pixie cut, she looked sensational! People were amazed how good she looked in a short pixie! She had exactly the right features to wear her hair that short. She went from slightly better than average to stunning and beautiful with a short 'do.
But not all women look as good with short hair.

Some women even look better with no hair. Sinead O'Conner is an example of that. She looks better with a shaved head than with hair. But other women couldn't pull it off like she does.

You have to have the right head shape and features.
The only way you will know is to try it. Don't be afraid girl, give it a try!

Myself, I believe I do have the features for very short hair. It works for me!
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2004 at 1:10am
Let us know what you decide!
Heratic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heratic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2004 at 7:09am
I know my wife is loving her recent move to short hair & wouldn't go back to how it was at just below shoulder length. She saves a lot of time on styling now, only requiring a bit of gel to achieve what what she wants. At present she seems to be going shorter with each trim.
Its your hair, your choice and your decision
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2004 at 12:04am
If you have a lot of cowlicks, your hair might be lower-maintenance if you keep it a little longer than a pixie, though. Very short hair makes cowlicks stand up more readily, which means you have to spend more time slicking them down. If you have a problem with cowlicks, or aren't sure if you might, it might be safer to go three or four inches at first, so it's long enough to lie down fairly easily either on its own or with minimal help. *nods* I know that by experience, as my hair is much easier to ie down at its current length than the pixie-ish style I had not long ago.
More awesome than a manatee!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greeneyedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2004 at 8:03pm
A round of applause, please!

Last night, I went for the Gwyneth cut--actually maybe a little shorter. I was getting so into watching my stylist "sculpt" the cut that I didn't realize how much hair she was cutting until she was done. That's probably a good thing! (LOL) The longest section is about 2 1/2, maybe 3 inches.

The best part is that I AM able to style it myself, with surprisingly little product (just a little mousse and spray). It really looks great...and very feminine. In fact, I can see now that a pixie might look just as good, if not better. It might take me awhile to work up the courage again to actually do it, though!

Thanks for your help!
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2004 at 1:41am
Congrats! Hope you enjoy your short 'do!
BaldJasmine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2004 at 8:34pm
My congratulations too on your new short hairstyle.
Isn't it nice to wear short hair! Enjoy!
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2004 at 5:27am
While I think most women look pretty good with pixie cuts, I *live* to see hip length hair. I fully understand why it took you so long to cut it. Don't apologize for beauty. Long hair looks spectacular on most women at any age. Ever see vintage pics from the turn of last century? The women looked so elegant! I guess the folks who prefer short cuts have won the day, but maybe some day.... Oh well! (lol) I wish you fun with your new look. Bob
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2004 at 1:14pm
Bob,
Well since this is the short hair board, your comments would probably be better recieved on the long hair board.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2004 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by miss brenda miss brenda wrote:

Bob,
Well since this is the short hair board, your comments would probably be better recieved on the long hair board.

Hmm... Wording matters, sure. Bob could have worded his response differently. But I guess that comments such as his "While I think most women look pretty good with pixie cuts..." and "I guess the folks who prefer short cuts have won the day" just aren't good enough for you. Does one have to be an ardent, 100% fan of short hair to participate on this board, or can someone such as Bob S. admit to also liking (or even preferring) other lengths while he says that he likes pixies?

If I compare/contrast Bob's message with, um, a certain someone else (who participates on the short board) who has posted messages on the long hair board, that other person has not written one kind word about long hair on the long board. Is there a double standard for participation here?
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2004 at 3:03am
Vintage photos often make me feel glad to live in these carefree days when it doesn't matter how one wears her hair. Sure, the fancy updos and pretty little hats of a century ago look elegant, but if you imagine the amount of time and effort that goes into making oneself look that way-- and remember that a well-bred woman in those days wouldn't likely go out unless she were perfectly-coiffed and wearing a nice hat-- in contrast to today's women who can wear simple wash-and-go cuts, or ponytails for long-hairs. . . Well, I definitely know which era I belong in. . .
More awesome than a manatee!
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2004 at 11:00am
OK, Miss Brenda, a word of explanation. Of course, any woman who talks about having *had* hip length hair catches my interest and fancy immediately! (lol) And, yes, there's some sadness about her decision to go shorter.
You may be surprised to know that my preference for short haircuts is usually for a tapered back and sides, but not *too* short there. My wife wore that look for over two years. Thankfully, sh's grown her hair back, but it was our cold winters that started her on the grow again, not my pleadings! (lol)
What really prompted my responses was her near apology for taking to long to cut her hair short, as if it's a crime to have long hair at an older age. In my wife's case, she sometimes faces ridicule for her 28" hair, even though she (and it) look fabulous. I think that at least 80 % of women look best with long hair at any age. I suspected that her comment may have suggested that others' opinions wore her down.
Tiresome insults were part of the reason my wife cut hers short in the first place. I help her get through the nasty comments now, and frankly I think those rude relatives regard her as a "lost cause" now, b/c the comments have become infrequent.
In short, I'm very sensitive toward the issue of women cutting their hair to avoid taunting. I think it's a crying shame that women who love their long tresses sometimes come to see it as their shame and sign of immaturity rather than as an extra dimension to their beauty. Best, Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic