Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bob - what to ask for?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KJ View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bob - what to ask for?
    Posted: July 07 2004 at 1:14am
Hi, I have shoulder length brownish hair and I would like to get a short bob, probably angled short at the back and maybe lip-length at the front. .
I think I would like it cut short/clipperd at the nape. I think that look is really 'clean' and stylish. But at the same time I am a bit scared of those clippers. How much do they normally shave off at the back when doing an angled bob. I really like that style, but I don't want them to go overboard!!
Also, I don't have bangs at the moment and I am undecided whether or not to get them. I have a fairly round face, would bangs look stupid? I am not sure.

I would love some advice. I had a bob years ago (just a straigh one, not an angled one) and I really liked it, so I am looking forward to having one cut again.
KJ
miss brenda View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2004 at 1:59am
Bring a photo to the beauty salon of the type of bob cut you want. There are so many styles and lengths of bobcuts. You have to be specific.

It's lovely that you are considering a bob cut style!

I like bobs too. I went from very long hair to a bob a few years back and I loved the transition. I was upset at first at having that much hair cut off(tailbone length hair to above the shoulders bobcut), but I grew to love it. I wore the bob for a couple of years and really loved it. I eventually went shorter to a pixie, which I also loved wearing.

I have progressively gone shorter with my hair. Recently after giving birth to my second child, I went and had my hair cut off into a short buzzcut.

So you can see how I have become sold on short hair!

Good luck and keep us informed what you decide to do with your hair!
JL View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2004 at 9:17am
The angled bob is a great versatile style. If you like the clean look then the higher the cut in back the better(the clippers won't bite). For the rounded face, avoid the bangs. Go for length equal to the longest aspect of the bob(maybe chin length). I would suggest the angle from the front over the ears to a point high in back. This gives you the effect of a "clean cut" and much cooler for summer. You can pull the long front back and tuck it behind your ears whenever it seems to dangle in your eyes. This cut is also fantastic if you are active and like wearing ball caps outside.
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2004 at 9:36am
Originally posted by JL JL wrote:

The angled bob is a great versatile style. If you like the clean look then the higher the cut in back the better(the clippers won't bite). For the rounded face, avoid the bangs. Go for length equal to the longest aspect of the bob(maybe chin length). I would suggest the angle from the front over the ears to a point high in back. This gives you the effect of a "clean cut" and much cooler for summer. You can pull the long front back and tuck it behind your ears whenever it seems to dangle in your eyes. This cut is also fantastic if you are active and like wearing ball caps outside.

Um...no. Rounded face + no bangs + chin-length bob = really round face (best case) or football-like shape (worst case). The only type of bob that works for a round face is one with layers or with the ends shattered so that the volume on the sides is decreased or at least raised above chin-level to eye-level. Side parts also help.

And the "angle from the front over the ears to a point high in back" hasn't been in style (despite what you will hear repeatedly here from it's obsessive fans and see on some dubious "makeover" websites) since the early-mid 90s. And even then it was on it's way out since it was simply a modified version of the "bowl" style cut that popped up in the 80s. There is a version of what is described her that IS stylis now, but you need to add about 2-3 inches to what's described here (think Brittany Daniel's current style as a longish version of it).

Hope that helps,
JF
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2004 at 4:42am
Bobs without bangs are really annoying, at least to me. I had one for all of one day, once, before I put some bangs in out of sheer frustration. Bobs have a tendency to swing forward, anyway, especially ones what are higher in the back, but without bangs they'll just completely flop over your face like Cousin Itt, if you're not careful :-P . Lots of headbands, clippies, or strong hair products would be necessary, I think, to tolerate it for long.
More awesome than a manatee!
JL View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2004 at 10:15am
I could be missing the mark with this but the lastest fashion magazines and TV shows are all talking about the retro 80's and 90's being the hot look for the Summer of 2004. Many of the bands are making returns as well.

I was in a spa last week for a massage and 4 of the 6 female customers were receiving retro 80's inverted bob cuts (buzzed from the nape to at least the top of the ears). Even one of the sytlists was sporting the look. I am also noticing a lot of them popping up at the mall on the teenage genre as well. It seems the lastest in fashion is wide in range and certainly shorter rather than longer. Just check out any hair show this summer.

To be outdated, there is a lot of talk about similar styles on message boards as well. Several of the gallery pics on this site show the "round" face with no bang bobs.

Just my thoughts and observations.
buzzedboblover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzzedboblover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2004 at 10:56am
I personally think you should go for it, my wife did and she looks and feels great with it. Several of her friends also have similar variations of bobs and inverted bobs. It really seems Inverted bobs are definately making a big comeback regardless of what a couple of so called "experts" say, and as to bangs I do agree it does depend on "how round" your face is. If it is too round for a non bang style get the stylist to cut bangs into it last so that way you can try both but be sure to explain this to her in advance what you want to try so she can cut the style accordingly. As to the clippers, don't be afraid, they will feel fine and as long as you tell the stylist how short you want it in advance you will not come out bald or shaved too high and besides, be daring for summer it will have grown back in for winter anyway. So once again go for it and you will come out of the salon looking and feeling fantastic and ultra trendy.
Brent E from San Francisco View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E from San Francisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2004 at 4:13pm
Did you get the bob cut?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic