Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

tired of long hair!need ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tired of long hair!need ideas
    Posted: January 26 2005 at 8:16am
after the success others have had, i thought i would put up my hair dilemma for your perusal....

my hair currently looks like this...only about two or three inches longer and dark brown....i dont know if you can tell from the picture but it is heavily layered and around bra length at the back now at its longest(slightly longer than in my profile photo on the left)

i used to have it like this and liked it a lot......(apologies for the cigarette...every one needs a vice!)...

now i am totally tired of having long hair..bored!..and its a pain to get it looking good everyday
so i am considering this...

or something similar....whatever i go for can't be too short....and has to flatter my face shape, which is oval but slighlty long.....
help, ideas, advice much much appreciated..im too nervous to take the plunge without it and all my friends say they like it as it is.....

p.s this has been edited a thousand times to try and get the damn photos to work!please don't let all my efforts be in vein..he he
i can't take it no more so i'm going on a shopping spree
....H.A.R.M.A.R superstar....
trout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 9:06am
Rent the movie 24 hour photo just to see Connie Nielsen in the pic. I couldn't find a great photo of it but the look would be nice on you. Very versatile, kind of the funky style you seem to want.

http://www.geocities.com/connienielsen3/pictures/046.jpg
ames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 9:43am
hmm.. i think i may have seen that, except it was called 'one hour photo' here.....and thats the kind of thing i want for sure..ive been admiring all sorts of bobs recently, i like the one that the wife has in devils advocate but its a little too severe for my features.
i just don't know..i'm worried i'll just wuss out and get an inch trimmed off or something...
keep the ideas coming guys..and i will post pictures when and if i get it done!

trout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 12:08pm
It was one hour photo here also, my bad.

I really liked that look for her in the movie. So many different looks from one haircut. She had great little pig-tails, it was long enough to pull back, she wore it messy and funky, and in a couple it was more moderate and sleak. It would be really good on you.
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 8:19pm
When I was scrolling down looking at your pics, I came across the 2nd pic (before I could see the 3rd pic). I loved the bangs but thought in my mind that the rest should be around chin length. Then I saw the 3rd pic and thought that would be perfect for you. What color are you thinking of? The dark was a little too severe for my taste, unless you get some highlights put in.
ames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 2:13am
thanks..i really think it will suit me too, i definitley think i need a short fringe (bangs) to shorten my face. as for the colour, at the moemnt its a medium chestnut brown with a few lighter sections through it from colouring over highlights. once its cut i may have more highlight put in if its in good condition. any more opinions? advice? pictures?
HD_EU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD_EU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 2:47am
Oops, didn't notice you started a new thread ... my remarks are in the "colour" section. And I still think the short fringe is not exactly the best idea ...
ames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 3:39am
hmmm...just tried on a similar style by uploading my photo to a site...and the short fringe didnt look good, however the length seems to suit me, so maybe the same style just with a longer fringe, one i can wear forward or sweep to the side......
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 7:21am
I don't too much care for the short bangs on you.. I think they actually make you face seem longer... but I have to admit I'm not a fan of short bangs on anyone.
ames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 8:53am
hmm...well from my persepective my face looked its longest when my hair was shoulder length and straight with no layers or bangs...and when i had a chin length bob with no bangs...i think they are helpful for breaking up the face shape and shortening it...
and as i'm going for a short cut that means the bangs have to be short too
(btw...i hadn't even heard of the word 'bangs' til joining these boards...sounds better than ' fringe' which reminds me of my grans sofa......)
Daniela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 12:08pm
Oh My that last pic...kate moss! that hair is hott!! I also like your hair in the second pic where it was darker with the bangs...super cute! being on this message board makes me less scared now! heh...good luck lady!
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 6:21pm
Please post a "after" pic if you get your hair cut.
Thanks
ames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2005 at 2:52am
yes i will! i have an appointment at the toni & guy academy for only £5...i need to have decided on the style before i go in though as they have a tendency to lead you towards a style they want to do, so at least if i'm sure and confident of what to get i can stand my ground.
ames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 4:48am
well today is the day guys! fingers crossed for me...gulp..
im going for the kate moss pic.......and if i dont like it it will grow!..nothing ventured....
pictures will follow...
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 11:42am
We're all anxiously awaiting details (and photos when available).
HAWG
ames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 6:46am
it's great! i can't believe how much hair was on the floor..he he
it does require a bit of tweaking and hairspray to get it looking good though...and how on earth do you stop a short fringe from ending up vertical on windy days?
thanks for the ideas.....
i will post a picture as soon as i get the bluetooth on my phone to work again.
bean3270 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bean3270 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 9:58pm
I hope you post soon. I can wait anymore. I bet you look hot.

ames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2005 at 4:54am
update....the hair is no longer good! i bravely got it done at a hairdressing school, and can only imagine that the hairdresser knew how to blowdry and style it to cover up her terrible mistakes.
after i washed it i decided to straighten it just to see how it looks, and there are sections of it that look like they have been hacked off with garden shears....one strand is cut in a blunt line and at least an inch longer than the rest...and the fringe is drastically shorter on one side...i am not pleased!i bought myself a new hat yesterday..he he
however, i have managed to wangle an appointment at taylor & taylor..one of the best hairdressers in london, where it will be styled for free in an 'advanced haircutting' seminar, only downside is, several students will be sitting behind me staring at my head the whole time....they have promised me free proffesional shots afterwards too, so i will scan them and post..
looks like i may be going even shorter!
wish me luck.
HD_EU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD_EU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2005 at 8:22am
Ames, was there not one pro who supervised the work at that academy?? Dreadful ... then it even costed you 5 GBP ... you had to pay for the products they needed to cover up what they did wrong!

In your second appointment - do you have any say in what you'll end up with? Better to clearly know what you're getting into ... don't want to repeat that academy experience I gather.

Anyway, you'll end up with shorter hair, which may not be bad after all, as it will suit you. Given the pro teahcer wants to give you a style that suits you instead of 'showing the class how to do a certain style'. I remember from your first posting it wasn't exactly what you had in mind, going short. Now only out of pure necessity or is there some choice involved too?
ames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2005 at 9:10am
well..i am setting off in half an hour..and very nervous. when i called to arrange the appointment i spoke to an amazing camp italian guy for at least 20 minutes about what went wrong before, my hair type and length, colour, lifestyle, what i expect with this cut....pretty much everything you would expect a good stylist to consider, and he said i will be a model in a demonstaton for students...i.e a very experienced stylist will do my hair and talk through what he is doing. he also said they will try to not take off much length, as its good for students to see how to rectify someone elses mistakes without taking the style to an extreme the client will not like.
all round i feel pretty confident that they will do an amazing job, which is a good start!
as for the baaad baad academy i went to, we were basically on a production line, 15 students to one teacher who just occasionally checked up on what was happening, and only gave approval when it was blowdryed and finished, so she must have been smart enough to at least brush and comb it to cover the problem areas....
i can't wait, if it is great it will give me a good excuse to go buy new clothes on bond street (it's nearby after all..you can't resist) to set the whole new and improved look off

i will post pictures asap as i have appreciated everyones ideas and interests..so its only fair to reward you, and let you see the fruits of your labour.he he!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic