Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

do guys prefer women with short hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2005 at 5:43pm
Ummm... Bob S... I see that you have edited your post 3 times already -- but apparently, not enough. I don't wish to discourage you, but I would kindly advise you to limit the extent of (or carefully parse) your raving for long hair on this (the *short hair* ) forum.
Brent E from San Francisco View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E from San Francisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2005 at 9:27pm
"90% of guys prefer women with long hair?"
Really Bob S?
I never knew that. You must have read some scientific survey that I didn't.

Well considering how many women are wearing short hairstyles these days, if I am only part of the 10% of men that likes short hair on women, that means I have a huge number of very fine looking short haired ladies to choose from!
That is great!
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2005 at 2:37pm
Two edits were for grammatical errors; in the other I added the last paragraph.
Brent, I should have said that 90% of guys who care about hair like long. Some like both, and I'm in that category to some extent myself. No scientific study was used. (lol) In fact 90% seems somewhat high upon reflection, but this number includes those who think of shoulder length as long hair. Best, Bob
Brent E from San Francisco View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E from San Francisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2005 at 6:54pm
I still don't know where you got the 90% figure, whatever you consider long hair.

Was this a study done at Harvard or at Stanford?
Was it done by the National Enquirer or some girlie magazine that sells well in the rural south?
Was it a study done of men all over the world, or just in the United States?
How many men participated in this study? Was it scientific?
What was the age groups of men, all ages? Just 18-30 year olds? 30- and up? Did it include all races and religions of men?

I could, since I see so many men walking down the street with their short haired women, say that 90% or 58% or 75% of men prefer women with short hair.
But unless I have a number of scientific studies of a vast cross section of men to back up my stats, the statistics are worthless.

Besides, as Dave mentioned, this is the Short Hair Board.
Why come on it and make up some figure out of nowhere that assumes that men usually prefer long hair on women, when the women who write on this board wear short hair, and the men who write here like short hair on women.

Do I go on the Long Hair board and tell the long haired women there that because so many women wear short hair these days, that they should cut their hair short because most men prefer short hair on women?

What's your problem dude? Why do you deliberately go on the Short Hair board and make these kinds of unsubstantiated statements?

Even if they were true (which I believe they are not), it is obviously an insult to the many lovely short haired women here, who have written here or posted photos of themselves in nice short hairdos. To say that their short hairstyles are generally unpopular with men, that is obviously insulting.

Speak for yourself lad, you don't speak for me or for any other man for that matter. You don't represent 90% of men, neither do I. That's why I don't claim to know the preference of 90% of men.

And if you can't understand that, then don't come on the Short Hair board and bother the people here (men or women) who prefer short hairstyles on women.
Show some respect, as I try and do at the Long Hair board.
redhairedgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2005 at 8:43am
Hey, time-out gentleman! Can't you just agree that you both have valld points and leave it at that? Some guys obviously prefer short hair and others prefer long hair on women? I have certainly learned a lot from starting this thread, I just assumed that guys liked long hair and that was that, but I was obviously wrong.
Oh, in case anyone is still interested I have had extensions put in. Just short ones, my hair is still a bit short at the back and sides for extensions really, so they are just attached to the longer hair on top. I am quite happy with my bob for now but I am sure I will go longer again next time - sorry chaps!
RobT View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2005 at 1:23pm
For what it's worth....

I just finished a business management course over the last three weeks.

Our class had 7 men, 6 women.

Since I'm a short-haired lover, I was particularily attracted to one of the women who has very short, blonde hair.

All of the other women were very attractive too, but there was no question which woman lit my fire, so to speak.

So, we have a celebration party on the last day. Some of the guys bring cameras.

Who do you think the guys are taking pictures of?

Yep, you got it.

The woman with the short hair.

Was she the prettiest? Nope.

So, go figure. A majority of the guys in that room have no trouble being attracted to a woman with short hair, anecdotal surveys to the contrary.
ConanOBrien View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConanOBrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2005 at 3:38am
Contrary to what some might think, I actually have varing personal favortite styles on the ladies.
My favorite color is red hair, and my favorite look is straight mid back length hair. also reheded spiral curls. But Im also a big fan of bobs. All kinds of bobs. i like angled, blunt, lip length chin length you name it.
I also find short hair on some woman very attractive. It depends on the woman.
Her face looks etc.
I even had a crush on a girl in 7th grade. she was blonde with spiral curls. One day after months of flirting, she arrived in history class with her shoulder length blonde hair cut very short.
It was 1987 and the Madonna very short hair pushed back look gelled was all the rage. I remember howeveryone was shocked by her new look. She was amde fun of by some of the kids. they said she had John Travolta hair from Saturday Night Fever.
I liked it though.
In fact later that day, she had one more surprise.
She asked me out in english class.
She was brave enough to have the look she wantd in 7th grade. and we went out thru that year until i switched schools the next fall. Sadly i never saw her again and i never lerned to spell correctly.

ConanOBrien View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConanOBrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2005 at 4:01am
Ahhh memories....

Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 3:23pm
Brent, my own dad prefers short, permed hair, and my mom has always had that style. I don't know how men of that era could have survived with all the short processed locks on display. (lol)
I had two reasons for responding again, though. First, I was over the top in my desciption of my love for length on this board, and I'm sorry. I saw the straightforward question, and gleefully added my two cents. Second, you possibly would be surprised, Brent, but *many* men are mildly to seriously unhappy with their s/o's hair length. It's not a divorce issue, I hope, but there's plenty of grumbling out there. Most women simply can't understand the passion some of us guys have on the issue. Best, Bob
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Bob S Bob S wrote:

I had two reasons for responding again, though. First, I was over the top in my desciption of my love for length on this board, and I'm sorry. I saw the straightforward question, and gleefully added my two cents.

Bob, I'm glad you came to realize why your prior post was not appropriate on this board....
Originally posted by Bob S Bob S wrote:

... my own dad prefers short, permed hair, and my mom has always had that style. I don't know how men of that era could have survived with all the short processed locks on display. (lol)

... on second thought, it looks like I spoke too soon.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 2:20pm
To Dave---LOL! You are so right. I can't be trusted! Bob
Myriam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myriam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 4:44am

When I've met my husband I had long hair and after I have cut it short and more and more short and he love it !

Even (especially ) when I have buzz cut or I'm bald.

and I don't think that he's an exception

fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 2:48pm

Think Red should follow her own feelings. No need to keep chopping and changing the hair as well as the boyfriend

By the way, I was just cruising the board and like about 75% of men I prefer longer hair. Especially long red hair.

HD_EU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD_EU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2005 at 8:10am

The problem with every discussion about preferences on every board is that hardly any board will be a good sample of general society (eg neglecting the elderly, some poorer who don't have access, others who don't want access,  etc.).  So whether it's 75% of men that prefer long hair on this board or not is irrelevant.

Should a decent study be done (won't anytime soon as it is too expensive to waste tax payers money), then the conclusion wouldn't even stand.  Eg show men pictures of beautiful long haired women and plain short haired women.  Guess what the conclusion will be?  Do it vice versa and the conclusion is completely the opposite. 

At the moment you start to generalise, details get lost.  In this case the fact many men will not make the distinction long-short when they first glance at a woman, they'll take in the general picture.  Then they add as a bonus their 'general' preferences as a plus or minus.  If all men and women should stand by their general ideas of beautiful and want them fulfilled, the world would be filled with singles and hardly any couples.

Tastes are a very personal thing (luckily).

fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2005 at 1:58pm

This is mostly true. I prefer long hair...but that doesn't mean I hate short hair. Some women look better with short hair.

My two cents.

Lorryann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lorryann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2005 at 10:22am

Hi!

I'm another gal who just cut my mid-back length hair into a really short shaved-back pixie a couple of months ago.  It's very stylish--not one of those hideous hack-jobs our mothers got years ago.  It started a little longer than it is now, but since I have very fine hair that doesn't hold a longer-layered style very well, I went back to my stylist and told her to go for it.

I have learned alot but going to what some would call a "drastically short" haircut.

First, EVERYONE will have an opinion.  When you get a really short cut, it becomes more than "just a haircut."  People WILL react.  DON'T react to every opinion--the only one that coiunts is your own.

Second, no one will agree.  Some will love it, others will hate it. EVERRYONE will talk about it.  Be prepared to be the main topic at the office water cooler.  

Third, a super short style requires GREAT make-up.  So before you head to the salon, stock up on some good stuff.  When my hair was long, I could get away without foundation. Now that I have minimal hair to hide behind, it's face first.

Fourth, don't rely on conventional wisdom--such as what haircut goes best on which type of face. When I was consulting with my stylist, she discouraged me initially from going really short--until we uploaded my photo and started experimenting on the computer.  My face is oval-round, and I am "voluptuous". But I have great eyes, so I can carry the ultra short styles.  My final style looks just like the one we simulated on the computer.  And it looks great.

Finally, if you like it, the heck with everyone else!  As far as guys go, I have never had anyone approach me about my hair--until recently.  The most surprising thing I learned is that alot of men seem to like short hair.  The other thing?  I never realized how many ways you can style short hair--even at this length.

Just my 2 cents worth--I'll probably keep it super short through the summer, maybe even go to a long buzz-cut--then I'll probably want to grow it out a bit.

Loryann

loveitshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveitshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2005 at 10:59am
Lorryann... you hit it on the nose!  I couldn't agree more.  Absolutely a short haircut on a lady will elicit a reaction from everyone, and everyone will have an opinion.  Who cares?  As long as you love it and feel great wearing short hair, that's all that matters.  I love short hair and my wife wears it short because she loves it, not because I do. 

Don't be afraid to experiment and have fun with it.

J.
loveitshort
redhairedgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 12:15pm
It's a little while since I last visited this thread I started way back when.. Anyway if anyone's interested i've now had extensions to get me back to virtually how my hair was before it was chopped. Some girls can have short hair and look great, but I just missed my long hair too much. I didn't feel as confident or sexy with short hair...oh well.
cutmore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 10:45am
 I love short hair on women!!!! Some women do look better with long hair but,if you can wear short hair GO FOR IT!

Edited by cutmore
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 11:41am
Help you find a way to convince her that she's wrong to like long hair and want it? Sounds like a tough situation.

You may like extremely short hair on her, but I'd guess that most people are thinking it's a nice change, or even that it looks a bit better.

There's nothing you can say without sounding like an ogre. Considering how she feels about her hair, the chance that you're going to get her to keep a pixie for the rest of your marriage is nil. Trying to make her do this is not going to improve the stability of your marriage.

The common perception nowadays is that a woman's hairstyle is supposed to change drastically on a regular basis. Few people will agree with you that expecting her to keep her hair that short indefinitely is reasonable. As I said, it'll make you sound like an ogre.

BTW, "almost to her shoulders" is not long.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic