Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How short do I go???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
shorthairnomore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorthairnomore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How short do I go???
    Posted: February 23 2005 at 10:27am
Good Luck to ya tomorrow Jill and hope you like it. Your very pretty with long or with shorter hair......
dnjedwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnjedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2005 at 8:20am
Okay, so I thought a coif was a specific hairstyle. What a dimwit!

Jill

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnjedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2005 at 6:15am
I appreciate all the comments, even from those who urge me not to cut my hair. I've already heard those, and Dave's right, I really just need my hair off my face. I like babygurlz's photo. I am going to go with something more like that than the Teri Hatcher style. I think what I've chosen may be a little shorter on top than the one posted, but the same idea. I think it's a coif??? sort of old Meg Ryanish? Anyway, I had an consult with my stylist yesterday and I've got an appointment tomorrow morning. I will post a new icon as soon as I can since I can't seem to figure out how to insert a pic into a message! :(

Thanks again for caring what I do with my hair. I'm ready to take the plunge!

Jill
Brent E from San Francisco View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E from San Francisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2005 at 9:29pm
Nice looking lady Babygurlz.

Thanks for the photo!
babygurlz_all_that View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babygurlz_all_that Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2005 at 6:58pm
I think long hair is beautiful but for some women it can be more of a hassle than anything. Here are a few styles I think are classy, modern, yet they are not considered just got teenagers too. Hope you make the right choice for you. I know after t having long long hair and going extremely short is it so easy to care for and takes 10 minutes from the shower to out the door. Here are some styles I found for you.

http://www.beautyriot.com/stuff/images/articles/approve/2239_2185_Rinna-Lisa-01-400.jpg">

http://www.beautyriot.com/stuff/images/articles/approve/2244_2195_Nixon-Cynthia-400.jpg">

"Its only hair, it will grow back"
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2005 at 5:55pm
Hmm... although the last several messages are pro-long hair, I am inclined to let them stand, since in her original post Jill said she was looking for a style that will keep her hair off her face. (And long hair isn't contrary to that objective, because either shoulder-length-or-longer-hair pulled back, or very short hair, will help her to accomplish her goal. That opinion aside, though,) if she wanted more consideration for keeping her hair long, I might guess that she would have also posted her query on a different board if she were truly undecided. That she posted here only seems to indicate that she is leaning toward short hair.

(shrugs) Oh well. I feel challenged today.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2005 at 12:08am
Your hair is stunning right now, Jill, but I wish you well in your decision. Best, Bob
shorthairnomore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorthairnomore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2005 at 6:39pm
Keep it long........You can restyle it without losing any length and get it away from your face. Your hair is nice as is!!
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2005 at 1:30pm
if you send me a larger picture, I'll do a computer simulation of you with Terri Hatchers hair to see if you like it.
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2005 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by dnjedwards dnjedwards wrote:

What do YOU think the best style is for fine thickish mostly-straight hair?

You mean hair just like mine?

Ahh...no comment.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnjedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2005 at 11:55am
My hair takes quite a while to dry. I assume that short hair would require a shorter time drying, but maybe extra time with some kind of iron...My main goal is to keep my hair off my face, so I'll do what I have to!

What do YOU think the best style is for fine thickish mostly-straight hair?
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2005 at 7:05am
The closer your chosen style is to something your hair naturally does, the less time and products you will need to style it.

If you do very little with your hair right now (and I can see your current style is suited to your hair type), then shorter hair will undoubtedly involve more styling time.

If you do a style that requires volume, curls, or waves, you will require lots of product and touchup, and you still may not be satisfied.

I spend way less time on my long hair than I ever did when it was short.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
MightyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MightyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 8:21pm
Teri Hatcher...yummy...

Anyways, I digress.

Jill, I am a guy, and my hair is ultra short, and I still use product everyday. So yes, product is very, very important.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 6:11pm
Your styling time will still probably be less, but product can be a must with short hair. The great thing is you can achieve different looks by using product.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnjedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 6:00pm
Thanks everyone for all the great ideas! I think I like the Teri Hatcher pics the best. (Now if only I could look like her!)

I have this fear that a short cut with fine hair is going to just fall flat after an hour. Maybe it's just because my hair has been so long and is weighed down. With short hair, is it all in the products?
Jill
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by dnjedwards dnjedwards wrote:

I love Sherri Springfield's hair but I'm afraid that it would be in my face.

That can be a problem with chin length hair. For some women, it gets in their face, but not for others. If all you're going to do is push it behind your ears, it doesn't make sense. If you're always tieing back your long hair now, you're right to be concerned. I would agree that shorter and layered, a la the Teri Hatcher pics, wouldn't get in your face.
crank View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 4:51pm
Jill:

I'll give you the same advice I gave my wife when she asked me to cut her hair short. Do it gradually. You have the opportunity to try on a number of different hairstyles with the option to go as short as you like.

For you, I would start with a plain bob, a bit longer than chin-length and no layers. Remember, you can cut it shorter and layer it later if you desire.

My wife kept the bob for about a week before she wanted to cut more. Then, I layered the sides to keep it out of her face and shortened it to chin-length. It was bugging her because it was getting in her face. The layers took out enough weight so that she could tuck it behind her ears and get it to stay. She kept this cut for about two months until she found these pictures of Teri Hatcher.

She's stuck with this basic shape but she grew tired of the flippy layers in the back and had me cut it quite short in back. She grows it a bit, then cuts it shorter.

I think this shape would suit you as well. Particularly with your bangs as they are now.

-crank
MightyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MightyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 1:14pm
Well Jill, the definition of a short crop varies by the person cutting it, and the person receiving it.

I would say a "short crop" is no more than 2-3 inches in length. That would be a VERY drastic cut for you, with your length where it is now. Again, it varies by person, some will say longer, some will say shorter. To me, a short crop is shorter than any of the pictures that have been posted previously, if that helps.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnjedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 12:31pm
I love Sherri Springfield's hair but I'm afraid that it would be in my face.

What exactly is a short crop?
Jill
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 11:37am
Brand's cut is probably a little young and more work than a stay at hom mom has time for. Try something like Sherry Stringfield's ("ER") a-line. It's classic, but trendy because it's angled about a half an inch to an inch shorter in back.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic