Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

? about oils vs 'cones

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
strawberryfine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ? about oils vs 'cones
    Posted: December 03 2004 at 4:26pm
Hi All,

I have really been obsessing on this lately. Can anyone set me straight on the differences between oils and 'cones?

They both coat or protect by a barrier. They both have to be removed, either by shampoo, vinegar, etc.

I have read where some people have problems with dry ends with oils. I understand that 'cones can dry out the hair by not letting moisture penetrate the hair shaft.

I've even see some 'cones referred to as silicone oils.

I don't currently use cones, but these questions keep gnawing at me.

Do true oils (not silicones) penetrate the hair shaft and can moisture get into your hair if it is oiled dry?

My suspicion is that at leas some cones may become somewhat brittle on the hair whereas an oil would remain flexible. ? Don't know?

I am currently using a jojoba shampoo and adding jojoba oil to my conditioner and also dry oiling with a tiny bit of jojoba at a time. And it is working great for me.

These questions, I hope won't sound too whacky...

Anyone, anyone........

TIA.
strawberryfine
strawberryfine
2aFii
12/25.5"/terminal length after reaching "small of my back length"
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2004 at 5:57am
You've got it right. Silicones make a coating over your hair and prevent moisture from getting in, but they also, after awhile, flake off and sometimes break your hair off with them. It's just better removed. Oil on your ends you don't necessarily have to remove (providing it's jojoba or something that doesn't go rancid). If you oiled your ends, then did only scalp washes and kept the ends dry and unwashed (because scalp oil, or sebum, does break down and go rancid - hence the dirty head smell so your scalp DOES need washing to be healthy) the jojoba would keep your ends moisturized for a long period of time and they would be fine. (Kind of a run-on, hope I make sense)

As for oils absorbing into the hair, I think they do, anyone else know for sure? Jojoba does make my ends feel a little dry (somehow that I don't really understand), but when they're oiled they tangle less, and I know the oil is good for them, so I do it anyway.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2004 at 11:17am
I think cones are a controversial topic. Personally, I never saw any damage when I went coneless a couple months ago.. just massive tangling without cone slip! LOL.

Do true oils (not silicones) penetrate the hair shaft and can moisture get into your hair if it is oiled dry? I think some hair types absorb oils better than others, and some oils have smaller molecules than others... jojoba has VERY small molecules, and with my porous hair, jojoba does absorb almost completely. So completely that it leaves me with crunchies. Some people claim that oil does not absorb, but I think it does.. because where the heck would it go? It wouldn't necessarily absorb COMPLETELY, but it does go through the cuticle even if it doesn't penetrate the entire hair shaft.

With skin I find the same thing: if I oil my skin wet, then I don't get "crunchy" or rough skin.

My suspicion is that at leas some cones may become somewhat brittle on the hair whereas an oil would remain flexible. ? Don't know? It depends on the cone IMHO. conols are more flexible than cones, for example. I get crunchier and more brittle when I use jojoba than when I use a conol.... maybe it's just my hair.

HTH :)
Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2004 at 12:03pm
Thank you Susan and Anais!

Both your replies made perfect sense and were very enlightening!

Something you both touched on, the jojoba crunchies or dries-I get that too and what is that?

It doesn't feel like it could be good for my hair.

I've been using a jojoba containing shampoo and adding jojoba oil to my conditioner but just straight oiling leaves it kind of rough feeling. Unless I've just clarified with red wine vinegar and water or baking soda or both.

I've wondered about the 'conols; aren't they water soluable, Anais? And even if it takes shampoo to remove, I shampoo. So I'm really wondering if there is a clear advantage of oils over some cones.

Thanks for your replies!
strawberryfine
2aFii

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2004 at 12:29pm
Hi Strawberryfine and Susan!

:)

Conols are technically supposed to be water soluble and I think they are.. or at least MORE so than cones in general. (e.g. dimethiconol vs. dimethicone)

I experienced crunchies when my shampoo had silk protein--but I haven't tried jojoba oiling lately (after quitting silk protein). Maybe it's also because jojoba isn't actually an oil like other oils, but a liquid wax ester. Coconut doesn't do the same weird crunchy thing for me, maybe because the molecules are bigger and don't actually saturate the hair shaft. The solid/melted coconut oil will actually stay nearer to the surface of my hair. Permanently liquid coconut oil may behave a little more similarly to jojoba because the molecules are smaller from hydrogen removal process.

I'm thinking maybe it's the porosity: my hair absorbs jojoba oil like crazy, so maybe the jojoba molecules are getting into the hair shaft and reacting with the actual protein part of the hair.

Today's wash day, so before shampooing I will give jojoba another try :) Keep you updated :)

Hugs,
Anais

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2004 at 1:15pm
I've just gone and oiled with jojoba... and no crunchies so far. I overapplied on purpose to see what would happen. In the case of porous hair, at least, the biggest thing appears to be amount of jojoba, because it seems I haven't used enough to saturate the hair shaft.
(5 minutes later)......
the hair is getting a little "drier-feeling". Golly I really did overapply! I think the wax ester molecules enter the hair shaft and conform to the porous structure of the hair (like holes of a honeycomb maybe), and the extra bulky structure ends up making the hair shaft stiffer. Maybe that's the case...? That's my theory. because after all, with Carbon for example, diamond has a structure while graphite has less.

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
korsakovhatt3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2004 at 1:29pm
I came across this interesting article the other day. It explains how conditioners work. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/ww2/A851627
My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2004 at 4:09pm
Juliana,

That is a very good article. Thanks for posting it.

strawberryfine
strawberryfine
2aFii
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2004 at 8:26am
I don't know too much about cones, but there is a list of cones that you should not use on the regular...i'll try to find it later.

But, when i buy a bottle of conditioner, such as, a suave conditioner. I open the bottle and put in jojoba oil or another oil and shake up the bottle. I do this especially if it is an oil that made my hair crunchy, after adding it to the conditioner it does not do the same.

O yeah, some oils are absorbed into the hair and some into the skin. But some oils have to be deluded or they can irritate the skin.

http://motowngirl.com/oils.htm this is a great page about oils.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic