Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is mineral oil good for the hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
korsakovhatt3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is mineral oil good for the hair?
    Posted: January 07 2005 at 1:16am
I just bought a moisturizing shine spray called Isoplus Oil Sheen. It makes my hair incredibly soft and shiny. It contains mineral oil, lanolin and silk amino acids. I don't recall ever reading anything about the use of mineral oil on the hair. Does anyone know if it will pose any problems or cause damage? (I hope it doesn't, because I love this product!) Thanks for any info you can provide.
My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)
Twista View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twista Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 1:35am
I think its not good for your hair, but im not sure of how bad that mineral oil is. I read on here acouple time that it cogs the hair folices.

Currently two things that are not good for hair i know of :

mineral oil
vaseline aka petroleum
Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 6:35am
Maybe, if you knew exactly how much mineral oil was in it total? That might give you an idea of how much goes into your hair in those...say, 5 squirts of mist. I think you'll be fine if you're not using it daily.

Besides, everyone on this board told me how terrible Biosilk Heat Therapy would be for hair, and I'm doing fine with it. Of course, I use it...maybe once a month.

Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 11:40am
Ditto what Twista said... Mineral oil IS pore-clogging, so you'll want to avoid getting it on your hairline when you spray. I've also heard that mineral oil actually has a drying effect. But if your hair likes it, then it likes it :) by all means...

Blessings,
Anais
korsakovhatt3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 11:15pm
Thanks for all the info. I've been keeping it off my scalp and hair line (it would look greasy, I think) and just using it on the length of my hair. The improvement in the softness and shine of my hair are really remarkable. I don't know if it's the mineral oil, lanolin or the silk amino acids (or all of them), but my hair definitely loves this stuff.
My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2005 at 11:18am
Juliana, I think it's probably the silk amino acids... they make hair SOOOOFT :) Great to hear you found a happy product!
my LJ, 40 inches long
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2005 at 5:38pm
Hey Juliana,

Well, I'd say that if it works for you, then more power to you. It's my understanding that the molecule size of mineral oil is larger than will absorb into the hair shaft, so it merely rides on the outer surface of your strands. (That is, I suppose?, if your strands aren't extremely porous). No matter, I'm happy the product works so well for you.
Suers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 9:26am
Mineral oil is the same as baby oil. It is a more dense oil than jojoba oil. I don't think it would be too good for hair. I don't even like it for skin moisturizing but it is inexpensive. I have heard of some people dousing their child's head in baby oil to get rid of head lice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic