Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

practical but interesting styles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
happpy me View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happpy me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: practical but interesting styles
    Posted: January 15 2005 at 4:40pm
Hello everyone! First of all, I am growing my hair as long as possible, but I'm just at bsl just now unfortunatly. My problem is that I want an easy and practical style thats still interesting. I'm not sure why, but my hair never seems to stay up when I braid it or put it in a ponytail, which is annoying when I need it out the way or when its looking too dull to leave down. I'm quite adventurous so any suggestions at all are much apprichiated. Thanks
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 3:08pm
Hi there

What do you use to secure the ponytail? It may not be tight enough. I used to use terry-cloth covered elastics (which tended to slip on my smooth, fine hair). Before that, they used to make cotton-cloth covered elastics, which did a much better job of holding to the spot where they were placed, but I haven't seen these for sale in many years

When making a braid, I try to make the first twists as tight as is comfortably possible, to keep it fairly secure to my head.

I don't know if this answers your questions, but I HTH.
happy me View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happy me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2005 at 4:43am
Hi! Thanks for replying. Your hair is so awesome! I'm not sure what the covering of my elastics are but i really doubt that they are cotton. I'll keep my eyes peeled for them though. I tried to make the first twists tighter when I was braiding my hair yesterday but it had all fallen out within an hour I find that it stays up better when I put half of it in a pony tail and leave the rest down. That could be because I used to have it graduated round my face at the front, but that has pretty much grown out now. I would just do that style, but because my hair isnt very thick it looks even more limp. I'll carry on experimenting though. Always willing to try new suggestions aswell and I need a trim, so if there is anything that could make my hair look thicker (like a cut or something) that would be great. I'm not dead kean on layers though, would they be more of a hassel to keep out the way?
Thanks again
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2005 at 11:10am
Hi again,

Thank you for your kind compliment.

Are you securing your hair near the ends of the braid? I don't why the braid would fall out if you are doing that. Rope braids are very hard for me to do well, especially on myself -- that's one that falls out on me (even when I secure it near the ends).

Layers make braids look messier (and your hair thinner). I would advise against layers. Are you growing out layers now?
happy me View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happy me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2005 at 12:42pm
Hey. I think I'm securing it near the ends properly, but I'm not the most skillful person when it comes to braiding. I thought that the layers would make my hair look thinner. I've never had layers so I wouldn't know. If layers make hair look thinner, what cut makes hair look thicker, if there is such a thing?
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2005 at 1:48pm
happy you,
Have you tried twisting your hair into a tight bun then sticking a hair stick through it? Even if you have slippery hair, if you twist it real tight, shove the ends under it, then weave the hairstick through it, going to your scalp a couple of times, this should hold. It took me a few times of practice before I got used to it, but it became my quickest hairstyle and stays up all day. Other options would be braiding your hair and putting that in a bun, pinned down with big bobby pins so it would be clamped down and couldn't come out.

Dave,
When you try to do a rope braid, do you twist the 3 individual sections in the opposite direction that you're making the rope? (Meaning if you're making your rope in a clockwise direction, do you twist each section counterclockwise tightly first) This makes the hair want to twist against itself so it can't untwist at all. (I just ask because I could never do it without it untwisting either, but I found this tip in a kids book and it worked great).
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2005 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Susan W Susan W wrote:

Dave,
When you try to do a rope braid, do you twist the 3 individual sections in the opposite direction that you're making the rope? (Meaning if you're making your rope in a clockwise direction, do you twist each section counterclockwise tightly first) This makes the hair want to twist against itself so it can't untwist at all. (I just ask because I could never do it without it untwisting either, but I found this tip in a kids book and it worked great).

Hi Susan W!

That's it! I was braiding my hair in the same direction as I was twisting each section. I'll have to give your recommendation a go.... soon... (next weekend?) Sorry so slow.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2005 at 7:22am
Let us know how it goes!
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 3:21pm
I'm sorry, Susan. I still haven't tried. Have been distracted with other things last (and this) weekend. Maybe (?) next weekend. I'm such a sloth.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic